1919 A4 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Hogan's heroes

I've been watching reruns of Hogan's heroes on TV land recently, I still find them funny even though I notice so much more incorrect stuff, in an episode tonight the guys had to take out a canon factory,I'd swear the barrels they were handling were 37mm AT gun barrels! Back in 66 you could probably still find lots of WW2 stuff laying around!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
M6 Sight came in....how to clean spots from lenses...

The M6 sight for my 37mm ATG wanna-be came in today. I am very pleased with it considering the price I paid. The condition was just as described regarding the optics. It has little spots which can only be seen when looking through it. They look like pieces of rust or other debris inside the tube, however if you tap it they do not move. They would not interfere with the aiming of a 37mm, they are just annoyances.

Is it worth trying to find someone to clean it, or should I just leave it as is. I am not sure I want to tackle the disassembly of this, and risk losing or breaking a piece.

Here are some pics of the exterior:

Here is the best pics of the optics I could get. The spots can be seen, but are a bit more clear in person.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
If it was cloudy on the outside, maybe ask an optometrist to polish it out?? Don't know about the insides.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
It has been a while since I have been able to work on the 37mm. I have made a little progress. I have found a CHUNK O' STEEL to make the breech ring out of. That sucker is HEAVY! It is way too big for what I need, but I'll cut, then mill it down. It'll take a year, and untold numbers of cutters but I'll get it eventually. I also rounded up a piece for the breech block.

I have also been working on the traverse gear and the bottom of the carriage. I hope to have the upright "ears" welded on tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Andy, I have been following this thread since you started and I have to say I am envious of you. Having your devotion and your skills for this project it is no wonder it is turning out as beautiful as it is. This is going to make everyone want one when your done, I know I do!!! Keep at it and keep posting pictures, this is a big build project and I think it is moving along at a good pace. Just remember when a man wants something he will find a way, when he doesn't he will find an excuse. Keep up the good work!!! :thumbup:
CaptMax

·
Registered
85 Posts
nc_reb
What you are seeing as possible dirt is fungus that is growing on the inside of the glass
Find someone that does work on WWII gun sights and you will be back in business
Russ B.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Andy, you may want to PM ABCB and see if he still has his for sale. He had a beautiful one at the creek for sale and he is a great guy to do business with. I can't remember what he wanted for it but it was reasonably priced. You could always sell the one you have and likely come out ahead.
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Got the upper armor mocked up today. I got the carriage base and traverse gear finished. I got the trunnion ears welded in, and three of the armor support brackets. I have got some fine tuning to do, but I had to see the armor attached. Vice grips had to hold it long enough for the pics.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Progress has been slow, but progress is better than standing still or backing up.

I got the bottom plate of the carriage made, and the 6 threaded attachment points. It also got everything tuned up so that everything is free and clear during traversing. It was a pain in the rear, but I finally got it after taking it apart 10-15 times.

I also got the armor supports made, and the armor drilled and bolted up.

Next will be the traverse mechanism.....wish me luck!

Andy

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
It has been a while....a loooong while since I posted anything concerning this build project. Honestly there has been little done. I did machine and build the recoil tube and buffer assembly, but I did not want to post pics of that yet. I did not want someone copying the design and then possibly using it for live fire and getting hurt. So I'll just leave it at that. Mine will look good I hope, and there'll be pics of the finished tube in place at some point.

I have started doing is working on the traverse and elevation mechanism. These have caused me much head and heart ache. I am definitely going to have to stray from the blue pints on these, as I do not have the machinery to manufacture such. I am working on two or three designs that should look "ok" but at the very least be sturdy and functional.

I know folks like to see the fabrication pics, so I hope to be able to post a finished part within the next week. However, today what I have to show are the programmed parts to be cut to make the Tool box and battery box that mounts to the armor.

I am going to cut them this afternoon and hopefully begin the fabrication process. My head tells me it will not take long, but past experience tells me I am going to hit several unforeseen bumps along the way.

Andy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think you'll have a problem with the level of work going into it. Trust me I won't do anything stupid to earn myself a Darwin award for the year. I have designed a breech set up that does live fire but doesn't used "fixed ammunition" that would make it a d.d.
It will be 6" x 6" x 6" and will be made from 1 inch steel plate. I've build cannons before and those have been proofed at 2000 grains of powder. I don't forsee this being a issue either.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Today I got the parts for the Tool/Battery box cut, and most of the box made.

Here are the parts cut and ready for cleaning and assembly.

I had to get creative when I was trying to figure out how to make the lid, which would have been stamped one piece. I obviously do not have the press or dies for mass production, so I designed the corners to be rolled and welded.

Here is the before welding pic.

After welding a polishing.

You know that you are a bit OCD when you make your own hinges from scratch.

Here are two pics of the tool box with lid and hinges. It is not exact. My bead roller will not run the corners like the original. So, a bead on each side and the latch end will have to do. It is just sitting on the armor support for looks. I had all I could stand of it today. More tomorrow maybe.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Tool Box/battery box done as far as I'm concerned. I made the latch and hasp, as well as the battery box lid, hinge, and knob today. When I take it off later for finishing and painting, I will polish up the rough spots. I'll also drill the toggle and shape it a bit more round. Now on to bigger and harder things.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I admire your work skills nc_reb, you make my ferret restoration look easy compared to this!!:rolleyes:
Keep up the good work, it will be worth it in the end. At least that's what they tell me. :D
CaptMax

81 - 100 of 135 Posts