1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve looked on the web for extra heavy mineral oil. I thought I found what I needed, but then learned there are about 10 different viscosities of m oil.

Anyone know where I can purchase the oil I need for my son’s recoil mechanism?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Does the manual give a specification - Mil-spec or SAE? A buddy that used to race them told me the easiest front suspension upgrade for a MGB is to replace the spec. shock absorber oil with STP Oil Treatment. It's a rather thick mineral oil, possibly too thick. MSG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the manual give a specification - Mil-spec or SAE? A buddy that used to race them told me the easiest front suspension upgrade for a MGB is to replace the spec. shock absorber oil with STP Oil Treatment. It's a rather thick mineral oil, possibly too thick. MSG
I cant find anything in the manual.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have used the light grade of hydraulic oil. I am unsure what my seals are made of, leather or rubber, and if hydraulic oil will hurt them but it has worked so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used the light grade of hydraulic oil. I am unsure what my seals are made of, leather or rubber, and if hydraulic oil will hurt them but it has worked so far.
I’ve spoke to a guy up in Paris TN who restores big guns for some time now. He said he uses a mixture of transmission and hydraulic fluid. When he gets to his shop, he’s going to get me the rations.

I’ll keep you all posted.

Thanks for everyone’s input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts