1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Propane cannon , I have built four of them the largest is made out of the large oxygen cylinder . I tried to use smaller pipe sizes but would not produce the desired effect . A very loud boom ! The other thing is the mixture or the propane to air ratio. A very critical mix and all most impossible to do. There are to many variables to deal with the biggest is out side wind conditions. This will get the mixture off . So I went to compressed oxygen. This made the cannon very loud and somewhat scary!:eek: But it works very well, I have bean told that they could hear and feel it twenty miles away sounded like rolling thunder coming. Some other friends called me to ask if that was me making that noise. They though some one was shooting a shot gun in the next pasture, they were five miles away.So earmuffs are a must you will get a headache after about ten shots.I will post pix later and instructions if needed. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sounds really safe. :eek: Can't wait to see the video on The Darwin Awards. :D

Seriously, take some pics or even better, a video. I can't wait to see this. It sounds cool.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is one I put together fore A Halloween party at A junk yard (500+ souls! gets wild not for kids ). Just ignore the peace of 1/2" pipe in the middle that was for liquid propane at tank pressure to come out. Makes huge fire balls burned 100gal. that night. The propane and oxygen are a different system totally apart. This thing makes A huge pressure wave just above your head. It's safe you do not shoot any thing out of it. The gas mix burns so fast it sounds like an explosion. I put A baseball cap on the top of it and it turned to confetti the bill even tour in to six pieces. You can see one of the two injection ports at the bottom opposing sides of each other. That is wear the back flash prevent are no mixing of the gases until in the cannon. Pure propane and oxygen wont burn until mixed together. I use oxygen and acetylene regulators set to 5psi. And electronic ignition for spark and two solenoids four the gas controls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Propane cannon!

Damn, but I'm impressed. Please provide more details about the gas input and ignition. I'm completely in the dark about such things.

All the Best

Tom

·
Registered
301 Posts
Anything that can be heard 20 miles away........... we definately would like to know more about / how to build

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Eyes:

I have been watching this thread ever since it was first posted, for more details to be provided. I cannot believe how cool this thing would be for the Fourth of July -- I thought my carbide Big Bang Cannon was loud and noisy for the neighborhood (and MOM even approved of it!) -- that I thouht I needed one of these before the gummit made it illegal. One BIG fire*******, that's all I ever needed for the Fourth!!! We'd want to know about the proportioning, nozzles, fittings, igniter....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Ok first go to your local welding supply and order a set of back flash preventars in 1/4X1/4 mail pipe thread this keeps this short as possible. Be shore to get the high pressure ones. They will be expensive but very important to safety. Next tap the inside of the back flash(BF) preventers they are directional so tap the outlet side. This will be fore the jet what size will be determined by the ID of the BF outlet. The jet I used is for a propane burner a blank no hole. I drilled the side to help mix the two gases. The hole size was a wire gauge 57 . (last pix) The two 12vdc solenoid valves are fore propane at 350psi. Over kill but shelf items for me. Tell you more latter. ( there watching );)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
30 cal gunner I have had the chance to work on those they have some strange physics going on there some I can not reproduce. Look at the barrel wider in the middle there are three baffles in there. I assume to help resonate the shock wave any way this is way louder and funnier you built it your self.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I prefer SMF for sick muther f***er:cool: (If you listen to todays teens sick also = cool
but any way we need more info PLEASE!!! as the Fourth of July is just around the bend.

Although this remindes me of a former bud who told me in his teens him and a friend use to fill trash bags with oxy/actly(sp) and tie them in the trees with a wick attached, He said it was louder than the big guns when he was in the service. His friend found out how easy static electicity would ingnite the mixture when he failed to first open the bag but instead let the mixture do it for him. No one was really hurt but he said his buds ears rang for a week

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
Eyes, hope it's a Yankee hat you put on top of it! :D

I know I am lucky to be alive wth some of the s*it we turned into explosive fun growing up. We were actually pretty safe (shrapnel minded) and only a few minor burns here and there over the years. Had a BLAST and avoided the hospital!

The stuff shown above looks a million times safer than the propane booms we made back in the 70's. We need a vid of this thing in action!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Ditto that "growin' up" stuff...

...but then I joined the Army so I could get some REAL practice, legally, (but came out just a Medic!) I'd still like to get together enough information to build one of THESE Fourth of July celebration noisemakers. My "Big Bang" carbide cannon only sounds like a 12 gauge. :mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ok I'm working on a video clip. This is the ignition device I use It is from a gas grill this one has a separate switch for the on and off push button.It is easer to control the power to the coil than the 10.000V spark at a long distance. The spark tends to jump threw the insulation on the wire and ground out. I put the ignition module in a 50cal. box along with the 12v. battery for the valves.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hears one of the 50cal. box in place the two black wirers go to the valves and the orange is the ground for the spark module. The thick black one is a spark plug wire . The three prong plug goes to the remote, I use what ever length extension cord I want. Then just plug in the three way switch to the other side. I use the ground side fore a common neutral and the other two fore the power one to the valves and the other to the spark module.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still working on the video clip. Looks like the camera mic is cutting off when the cannon go's off. All the mic catches is the cylinder ringing sounds like a 81mm mortar going off . Trying to fix the problem.:confused:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I don't think you're likely to find a mike that WON'T do that! And, if one did, it'd blow out MY speaker!!! Still hope to SEE that suck'a.

·
Registered
234 Posts
what was the outcome of this? Did anyone else try and make one?

I've got an oxy tank that's itching to be made into something:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts