1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Yes indeed a little pricey. :eek:

I was introduced to the "ducks" as a youngster at Wisconsin Dells - they had a number of them there offering tours around the area......her are a couple of pics of post cards and inet postings...

Always thought it would be neat to have one, but they would be almost useless on Lake Michigan where I spent most of my youth....

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
..just a bit...

Very cool....and very expensive. Spent less on an APC...fully tracked...that also is amphibious. See avatar...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Seems like a pretty good price to me for a functioning truck. I rode in one in the Gulf Of Mexico for a WWII event several years ago, scary. Also rode in an "Alligator" for an hour or so at Lake Ponchartrain. Super scary and holy hell the fumes. J

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Seems I remember a tourist one sank in the Potomac River several years back -- the drive shaft seal failed.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Seems I remember a tourist one sank in the Potomac River several years back -- the drive shaft seal failed.

Carry On!
Gary
><>
Boston harbor too, I think.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Not sure on that, but I have heard many reports on how much maintenance was required to keep them operational, and thus how expensive to keep and use - especially as tourist vehicles on water. Still - pretty darn cool (even without the water spray) :)

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Here's one from my travels two summers ago. This is in Dublin, Ireland. I laughed hard when I saw the first one.

·
Registered
739 Posts
If the hull is sound (metal, not bondo), the price isn't that bad. Its got both titles, it runs, its pretty complete. With some cosmetic work, it could be a really nice vehicle. I wouldn't pay that for one, but others might.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Didn't one of them break down in the middle of a river or lake and then got run over by a barge ?
Chris
Philadelphia, on the Delaware. "Ride the Ducks" tours of Philly. They used to give everyone those kids duck calls as well until the city complained oabout the noise.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Seems like a pretty good price to me for a functioning truck. I rode in one in the Gulf Of Mexico for a WWII event several years ago, scary. Also rode in an "Alligator" for an hour or so at Lake Ponchartrain. Super scary and holy hell the fumes. J
Jason, I believe I was your chauffeur during the Gulf event. I had restored that DUKW for the Galveston battle. Odd feeling to drive down the beach and hook a turn into the surf and keep on driving. Of course floating off the beach and being strafed by Jap Zero's was really surreal.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Alex, I wasnt going to say anything to preserve a bit of dignity but man that was YEARS ago. Also found a pic of your halftrack pulling our 2.9" Parrott Rifle at Mabry(or somewhere, it's been a while!)

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
DUKWs

They are very much like a boat, "a big hull you pour money into", I've seen a couple fully restored to military spec,those are cool,I hate to see them after they have been butchered for tourist use. I met an old guy up in Utah who had one, and much much more, he actually drove one across the english channel,he was just a little crazy,we got along well.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I met an old guy up in Utah who had one, and much much more, he actually drove one across the english channel,he was just a little crazy,we got along well.
Yes I have a friend who knows him well. They still speak of that episode in military vehicle circles around here.
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
They are very much like a boat, "a big hull you pour money into", I've seen a couple fully restored to military spec,those are cool,I hate to see them after they have been butchered for tourist use. I met an old guy up in Utah who had one, and much much more, he actually drove one across the english channel,he was just a little crazy,we got along well.
That was Jack Tomlin. He passed away several years ago. Great guy and yes, a little crazy. At the Denver MVCC convention he drove his V-100 around the Holiday Inn parking lot at night shooting a gas .50 at airliners flying in.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Jack

That sounds like Jack! He gave me and my family a tour of his facility in Tooele (I probably misspelled that name) he was a little leery about letting my little girls in since most kids are not made to control them selves, but when he saw how well they behaved them selves he gave each of them a dummy cartridge off one of his 1919's,he was a very good host!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Any Boat = "A big hole in the water one dumps money in to."

Carry On!
Gary
><>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts