1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have some LC 87 M196 stuff that I might be able to part with....... shipping $ might make it unreasonable though....? PM me if interested

·
BeltFed GURU
4,440 Posts
Tracer takes a special powder from the M196 Mil spec
Propellant:
Type WC 844 or
IMR 8208M
Weight 28.5 gr, 25.3 gr or
Projectile:
CMR 170, 26.5 g

The powder is not faster but burns hotter for longer in the barrel to burn through the foil , But you can pin hole it and get a better light rate with a lot of "normal" powders .:D

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Also consider the new stuff is mostly made by design not to light until it's well away downrange, like 200 yards or so. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I use Hodgdon H-335 in both 5.56 and 7.62 and they light every time.

The old tracers light like this........But, with the H335 powder it's like a light show.......Proving the old adage, "Tracers work both ways":D

AZB

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
My understanding was that 844 was for ball and 844T was hotter burning for tracers. Anyone had experience with either/both? I found that it takes a pretty hot load to ignite the 5.56 pulls I bought a while back.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I use Hodgdon H-335 in both 5.56 and 7.62 and they light every time.

The old tracers light like this........But, with the H335 powder it's like a light show.......Proving the old adage, "Tracers work both ways":D

AZB
NICE!!!!

Better'n a handful of sparklers any day. :D

I have a box of those I still haven't loaded yet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My understanding was that 844 was for ball and 844T was hotter burning for tracers. Anyone had experience with either/both? I found that it takes a pretty hot load to ignite the 5.56 pulls I bought a while back.
I've used both. As long as the projectiles are sealed either powder will light them up along with H335 as stated by AZB.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also I have found that riffle tracers need to have build up pressure in the barrel before they light correctly. 556 American Eagle tracer is very good bright bore when correctly used. Its designed for a 20 inch barrel. put the same ammo in an 11.5 inch barrel and it won't trace. Then you need a good barrel, a shot out barrel doesn't have the same pressure curve and won't light "as" good. Thats what I have found. Take a good barrel and try a little tracer before you buy a big lot. Some of the older 193 surplus tracer won't light off but it can still start forrest fires so be warned.
Anybody know where to buy some that light?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also another cheap fix that might help or boost poor tracer is adding a 5 inch extended flash hider. Just another idea.
Also I have found that riffle tracers need to have build up pressure in the barrel before they light correctly. 556 American Eagle tracer is very good bright bore when correctly used. Its designed for a 20 inch barrel. put the same ammo in an 11.5 inch barrel and it won't trace. Then you need a good barrel, a shot out barrel doesn't have the same pressure curve and won't light "as" good. Thats what I have found. Take a good barrel and try a little tracer before you buy a big lot. Some of the older 193 surplus tracer won't light off but it can still start forrest fires so be warned.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tracers and pin holes

Tracer takes a special powder from the M196 Mil spec
Propellant:
Type WC 844 or
IMR 8208M
Weight 28.5 gr, 25.3 gr or
Projectile:
CMR 170, 26.5 g

The powder is not faster but burns hotter for longer in the barrel to burn through the foil , But you can pin hole it and get a better light rate with a lot of "normal" powders .:D
I used to pock a hole in my 30cal orange tip tracers to get them to light up right out of the barrel. Till one of them lit up came out of the vise grip and buried itself in the carpet in the corner of the room. I stopped doing that.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I used to pock a hole in my 30cal orange tip tracers to get them to light up right out of the barrel. Till one of them lit up came out of the vise grip and buried itself in the carpet in the corner of the room. I stopped doing that.
Ouch! Reminds me of the time I drilled out some primers from 12 Ga empty shells [I was about 10 years old at the time] with a hand drill. Danged if one of them didn't go off in the vice too! Scared the livin' b'geezes outta me!! :D

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
While looking online a couple years back to find the 'recipe' for tracer compound, I found it is pretty much the same as formulas for making fireworks stars. Stars are found inside sky rockets. They make the pretty colors.
That stuff is very scratch and impact sensitive.
I guess you know that now. ;)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Pin holing never worked for me. I picked up 50K of double cannalure 30 cal tracer projectiles and they would light at 40 to 100 yds anyhow, same as if I did nothing. The hotter "T" rated powders worked a bit better. (W-844T and W-846T)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yeah... neat 'lil rockets, weren't they?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts