1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of .50 BMG brass that I have from when I had my AR-50. It was reloaded once already, and now needs trimed. How many reloads can I get out of it, from a correctly headspaced M2HB. Also I found out on my 1919a4 in .308 that the OAL is very important, is this the same for the M2HB. I need to know before I load them, do not want to get a bunch of .50 that needs to be changed. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...depends...

Several major points need to be considered before loading any .50 BMG military brass.

1.-All US made military contract .50 brass has been cheapened and uses a different alloy since 1995. When reloaded and fired the second time,it usually splits or has a complete head separation. It does not pay to reload this stuff...unless you are willing to lose over 95% and maybe damage your gun...bolt,semi or FA belt fed...does not matter which one you use.

2.-OAL is also important for any belt-fed gun. As I teach my reloading classes,a good rule-of-thumb is to always seat the bullet 0.015 below the OAL max....for all center-fired rifle or pistol ammo. This will assure that the rd will fit into every mag made for it and seat in any chamber made for it.

3.-Most .50 BMG once-fired brass will need to be trimmed...especially if fired in a semi or FA belt fed gun.

4.-Have fired some .50 BMG brass 5-times...after being trimmed almost 0.050 first time. Found that it stretch's less in most bolt guns...most in belt fed. Really looked hard at those cases after 5th. shooting....and found they were still structurally sound....and reloaded them again. This was a test batch of 10-rds and 1968 LC head stamp.

·
Registered
178 Posts
50 brass

I have some TW 42 brass that I have loaded 9 times already. I have fired it in my m2. I always keep my brass separated by can when I shoot and inspect and reload by can lot. Out of 100 rds of the TW brass I still have 78 rds of good brass out of 100. Others are correct about any brass after mid 90s , inspect carefully as most will fail after a couple of loadings. TW is best from the 40s. Ik and imi brass is good. Fn brass is good but you have to open up the flash hole.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I have been told by a source very close to current lake city brass production that major changes were made from 2011 on. I also have had no problems with IMI and 2001 to 2010 WCC but of course results may vary, I had a very early Barrett #144 that would seperate new cases half the time

I use a headspace gauge from Pacific to set my bbl in M2 and universal rec which is on the very tight end of spectrum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts