1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased an M107 50 BMG and am planning to reload for it. I have been reloading numerous calibers for several years, so I am aware of the basics. However, I was wondering if anyone has load data that they could share with me regarding the 50 BMG.

I have purchased once fired LC 06 & 07 brass and am in the process of cleaning/processing it today. Also, I have purchased M8 API 649 grain projectiles and CCI #35 primers. I am in the process of hopefully purchasing some surplus WC860 powder. If not I will have to get some H50BMG.

Can anyone provide me with some load data with those components and others.

Thanks.

Duane

·
Registered
58 Posts
215 grns is a safe load for the 860 powder. if you get the 5010 powder I use 218 grns in it. your in the safe range with these numbers but you can get hotter if you want but be very careful:eek:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I was just able to purachase some WC 860 in quantity for about $45 per 8 pounds plus shipping, so thats what I'll be using.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
...make sure...!!!

There are several sites for reloading the .50 BMG. Google it. Just make sure that you trim all your once-fired BMG cases. Some streach out over .050 with one fireing. I usually trim about .020 below the min. after sizeing. That way I can fire 3-4 times w/o having to trim again. Powders: AA#8700, IMR 5010,Win 860,Win 872 and several others. These are probably the most popular powders and the easiest to obtain for the non-commercial loader. Be careful, check often and enjoy the pleasure of loading one of the most powerful rounds available to the general public....sure to be banned by the new regime....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
A safe and reliable load is 215 grains of powder for .50's, it will work and be safe with any bullet weight. Plus it's a pretty accurate loading also and doesn't over work you and the brass.

Here's a good page for loading tips for the .50 http://www.hevanet.com/50shooter/
Good? Ummm right up to the point where he said this:

50BMG is one of the few cartridges where you still find brass that is Berdan primed.

FEW? Wow, the list of berdan primed cartridges is pretty long.

Also, the Lee .50BMG press http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1227048491.955=/html/catalog/classic.html#50BMG

Is $275 for COMPLETE 50 reloading (press, dies, primer seater etc).

The DIES for the 50 from CH4d are $243

·
Registered
42 Posts
That 275 must be retail. Midway is showing that press kit for 184.99 (non-dealer price)
I have one and it works well for most brass. I had some brass that must have been fired in a chain gun as it was way big. Had to use the RCBS ammomaster press for those. I just made an adapter for the RCBS ammomaster press and used the Lee dies, worked great.

I load from about 210grs. to about 225grs. of WC860, 5010 or WC872 for the API
Military specs. 233 grain of WC 860 for the API
A good sourse of info on all military small arm ammo is "Army Ammunition Data Sheets"
TM 43-0001-27

Hope this helps, jr

·
Registered
761 Posts
If RCBS doesn't have a thread reducer (probably not the correct term) you can try CH4D.com for one. Just tell them you want to use the smaller Lee (.50 BMG) dies in your RCBS press.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bought the ammomaster press and then bought the 1 1/2" 50 BMG kit to go with it. I wanted to use the Lee factory crimp die, but thought I'd have to get a Lee press. Then I noticed that the original die plate has a bushing in it to take the 7/8" dies. If you take that bushing out, guess what? It is 1 1/4" threads and fits the Lee dies perfectly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info. Still waiting on the gun and the powder.:(

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Opeing this one back up.

Well, it all worked out. Got all the components and settled for a load of 225.0 gr WC860 for the M8 API.

Next problem. Picked up some APIT and spotter tracer projectiles at Knob Creek in October. Military load data calls for IMR5010 & IMR7383 respectively. WC860 is what I have and I really dont want to buy different powder if i dont have to. Does anyone have load data for the APIT and spotter tracer using WC860 or are they not compatible?

Any insight is appreciated.

Duane

·
Registered
177 Posts
WC 860 should take care of all your 50 bmg needs. You might have a problem lighting the tracers, but it will work fine sending them out the tube.

Start with 212gr and see how they fly. Bump up as needed.

BTW you can almost use the same load for either IMR5010 or WC 860 powders.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Take a pin and puncture the copper cup on the bottom of the tracers. This increases the percentage of lights tremendously. Also with surplus brass look closely about 1/2" above the head of the cartridge for a decernable ring. If you see one make you a probe out of a coathanger and feel the inside surface of the case. If you can feel a depression (groove) toss the case. Not worth having a case head seperation. Those spotters are 833gns - 215gn is a pretty stout load - I would suggest starting in the 170-180gn range. The data in the army manual is for a totally different case NOT the BMG.

·
Registered
761 Posts
ST's were also never designed to be shot at the same velocities as 50 BMG, most guys load them any where from 175-190 grs. of 5010. WC860 should run about the same when loading them.

You can use the same 225 grs. for API as it's still not really that hot of a load, if you don't want to go that high drop it back to 220 grs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WC 860 should take care of all your 50 bmg needs. You might have a problem lighting the tracers, but it will work fine sending them out the tube.

Start with 212gr and see how they fly. Bump up as needed.

BTW you can almost use the same load for either IMR5010 or WC 860 powders.
Is it that the IMR7383 burns hotter to light the tracers? I always wondered why any powder that was good enough to fire the projectile wasn't good enough to light the primer.

ETG, how long do you figure the tracer compound in the loaded rounds will keep with the foil punched?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Take a pin and puncture the copper cup on the bottom of the tracers. This increases the percentage of lights tremendously. Also with surplus brass look closely about 1/2" above the head of the cartridge for a decernable ring. If you see one make you a probe out of a coathanger and feel the inside surface of the case. If you can feel a depression (groove) toss the case. Not worth having a case head seperation. Those spotters are 833gns - 215gn is a pretty stout load - I would suggest starting in the 170-180gn range. The data in the army manual is for a totally different case NOT the BMG.
Are the ST safe to fire from the BMG?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts