1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a .50 chambered for Spotter-Tracer rounds? Don't see much talk on them and just wondered if anyone reloads for it and what do they use for powder and their favorite loads for it.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You may check with member MRkubota for a recipe .
You loading them in actual spotter tracer brass?
Most just load the projo's into full size .50 brass.
I can get you load info for actual spotter brass rounds if Ben doesn't respond soon.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, I don't have the rifle yet, but yes I'd be loading the projo's into actual spotter-tracer brass...I bought the remaining virgin brass that Hi-Tech had years ago and have not seen any more since. I only have a couple hundred .50 BMG brass but much more of the S-T brass so that's why I'd get an upper/rifle chambered in that. Plus it would be a little softer shooting on my messed up shoulder that gives me fits at times compared to the full size .50 BMG.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The first series M48 Cartridge fired the 816.6gr projectile using 120 grains of IMR 4831 producing a velocity of 1850 FPS, and 35,000 PSI. This series had the Flash Tube.
The M48A1 Cartridge fired the 816.6gr projectile using 109.3 grains of IMR 7383 producing a velocity of 1745 FPS, and 38,000 PSI. This later series did away with the Flash Tube.
When loading the Spotter Projectiles in standard length 50 BMG Brass, I use 175-180gr of W872.

For a while Mark Serbu offered chambering his single shot 50cal rifles in this cartridge.

TiredIron

Reactions: mrkubota

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input guys as it's much appreciated!:) All my virgin brass is the M48A1 as it does not have the Flash Tube and someone told me that the M48A1 brass is more desirable than the M48 because of the lack of the Flash Tube, don't know if that is true or not. I'm still on the fence on whether to get a rifle/upper chambered in S-T and take advantage of all the components I've acquired as the shorter range I have available is more conducive to the S-T compared to the .50 BMG I feel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts