1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know if you have a lathe otlr access to one. I am about to send off a form 1 to make my own 50 BMG can.

If you have access to a lathe I would make my own. I caught a sale that enco had and got a piece of 304 as 3" x12" for 78 delivered. That will be the baffle material, so I still have to purchase the tube. All together I will have around 200 in materials and having the tube engraved, plus the stamp will put me at somewhere around 400 total most 50 cans that I looked at were 1500 dollars and up.:eek:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
as a guy who has been down the form-1 route a few times... In the end, the cost savings are minimal. Add up the tooling, stock, and, ESPECIALLY with the lathe, the TIME, and it's pretty much a wash. You'll end up spending a solid week hunched over the lathe.

But, when you're at the range and everyone else has $1500 cans, and you "claim" yours cost about $150 in materials plus the stamp, it is worth it sometimes :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
as a guy who has been down the form-1 route a few times... In the end, the cost savings are minimal. Add up the tooling, stock, and, ESPECIALLY with the lathe, the TIME, and it's pretty much a wash. You'll end up spending a solid week hunched over the lathe.

But, when you're at the range and everyone else has $1500 cans, and you "claim" yours cost about $150 in materials plus the stamp, it is worth it sometimes :D
Yea, that's sorta why I want to do it myself. Plus I enjoy making things and having the satisfaction of completing projects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts