Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So any suggestions for a A-R upper?
Or a single shot ?
Thinking under 3k no long distance max will be 400 yards
Mag fed bolt gun?

·
12,515 Posts
belt fed frog
on the board here is a 50 expert. he should chime in or send him a PM. I think he helped chew the first barrel out of clay back in the 1800s

·
Registered
500 Posts
You missed getting in on the Serbu Group buy by a few months. Those BFG's are nice guns and well worth the $$$.
Do yourself a favor and check Serbu's website for the Carbine if all you're going to do is short range HOWEVER, know this: even with the shorter barrelled .50bmg rifle or upper this cartridge is capable of traveling several thousand yards. Seriously, make sure of your downrange considerations before you pull the trigger on this bad boy. Give yourself not yards but miles of clearance.

N.E. GA. ? Where are you shooting a .50 there?

So any suggestions for a A-R upper?
Or a single shot ?
Thinking under 3k no long distance max will be 400 yards
Mag fed bolt gun?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I started with a single shot rifle, but the one at a time was too slow. Also, it ate scopes like candy. I sold that, found a good deal on a M2, and I'm starting to think it's just too freakin big. 80lbs is a lot to haul down to the range. I'd go with a mag fed bolt gun, and don't skimp on the optics ;)

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Yup - I traveled down the same road as Starvingboy, and I would also suggest a magazine fed bolt gun.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I have a s/a m2 its a blast with the crank fire but it does get heavy! I have the scope already came off a Barrett I sold a few years (2) ago to fund the m2 its a vicious cycle!!!
Other people are saying the serbu to!!

I'm lucky enough to be able to walk out the back door for now and shoot! Walton county very north end got a pretty good backstop!

Cops been out only once in the last 5-6 years. (Tannerite)
Plus we have some land we lease down near Greensboro!!
I can get out to about 400 yards there! Thanks for the info !

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
.50bmg

I had a Armalite AR-50A1. It went thru one scope but put a Osprey scope on. That scope held and did not break. The AR-50 is a great rifle, I would have kept it, but got a M3HB kit on trade. I like the M2HB but will have a M3HB looks the same. But need to build a mount as the M2 tripods are to much money. Also looked at a Barrett, but a M3HB is also fun, but the AR-50 you can move around. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
761 Posts
If price is your main issue then the three that I would look at would be.

Armalite AR-50, they can be found for under 3K if you shop around. They're built like a tank, have the softest recoil of all bolt actions. You can swap out the stock trigger (they use a Rem 700 type) for something better. Plenty of bipod and monopod options. You can replace the stock screws in the buttstock and cheekrest for thumbscrews. Same with the bolt release if you buy an older model.

Serbu BFG, lightweight and easy to shoot offhand. I think you can get a match trigger but you'll have to talk to Mark about that. Same with getting a heavy barrel and match chamber.

State Arms/Eastridge Gun Co. "Shorty" or any of their other models. Price is dependent on what options you get with it. They are proven match winners and have a great support system from the company. Call Larry up and talk to him about their rifles, you'll be very impressed.

If you do go with an upper, I would only buy one from Dave at Spider Firearms. They're built like a tank, safety of the shooter is a priority. Plenty of .50 uppers have had Kabooms, non of his have due to his design features. Stay away from Bohica or Valley Firearms (same owner) as he's a liar and a POS! All you have to do is a search and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck and be safe!!!

One last side note, the Safety Harbor .50 uppers have been having serious problems lately. I wouldn't buy one of theirs either. One of the members posted an Xray of his shoulder with pieces of his SH parts stuck in it from a major malfunction. He got a second one from them, he tied a string on the trigger. Got behind cover and on the first shot it KB'd!!! All of this has been posted on ar15.com in the 50 forum.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A point to consider that was raised by an acquaintance of mine was WRT mag fed .50's.

If you're going to get a Mag Fed .50, make sure it feeds from the bottom, not the side. His reasoning? When he has seen .50's fail (and he has as he both builds and repairs them professionally) they have blown out the bottom of the mag...and if that mag is on the same side as your face, then there is potential for permanent bad things to happen.

NS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts