1919 A4 Forums banner

7.62 and .308 cases

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  NRAHighPowerShooter 
#1 ·
Gentlemen:

There are some incomplete data points as to reloading these cases so here are the correct dimensions plus my long term experiences and suggestions:

7.62 //// .308 Win
Location on Case:

Neck Inner Diameter: 0.308" / 0.308"
OD of Neck .343" / .344"
OD below shoulder .454" / .454"
OD near base .470" / .471"
Case Length 2.015" / 2.005"
Case: Base to
shoulder top 1.711" / 1.712"
Case: Base to
shoulder bottom 1.560" / 1.560"
Case Web thickness .200" / .200"
Shoulder wall thickness .0196" / .0202"
Base Wall thickness .0394" / .0405"
Typical total length* 2.810" / 2.810"
Total case volume 53.458gr / 53.008gr**

* bullets are not uniform length unless meplat is uniformed with tool

** Case volume varies by manufacturer and type as National Match cases are less internal volume and Remmy is more volume ( thinner brass) and volumes determine pressures.

READ THE 21 PAGE ARTICLE: http://www.jarheadtop.con/article_handloading.html

To reload properly, a SMALL BASE DIE ( RCBS TYPE) MUST , repeat must be used!!!!! to resize the cases. Those dies are specifically for semi-auto rifles so that the cartridge fits and feeds. Unoficialy, H-4895 and Varget ar very close to being the same burning rate with Varget being less temperature sensitive. I use only CCI primers seated 0.003" below the case head. Read my primer post. Since I have been at this reloading game to the point that my grandson is a reloader, if you have a specific load question, send me a PM and I will gladly spend computer program time to help you with an expected "Quick Load" answer for pressures and velocity. Read my primer data!!

Trim and inside chamfer all resized brass after running them through a case gauge. To trim I have a cutter in my drill press and case holder on a rotary table; it is fast ,accurate and very cost effective as is the reloading process.

HEADSPACE: I am not speaking of adjusting the Browning, rather, adjusting the length of our cases to fit the mechanical adjustment for "feeding" headspace. Find and read the post I made about competition shell holders. PLan B is to adjust the resizing die so that we have about 1.630 inches--normal maximum to a .400" datum line on the shoulder with a max-max of 1.634".

Cleaning range brass: when Momma is away, find and old sack or pillow case and load it up with dirty brass and place in the washing machine with detergent only; never ever use amonia!!! It attacks the copper.

We are entering into times of shortages through high prices and O?S scenarios so reloading makes fiscal and practical sense. ps I have zero to sell just info to share--Cordially, Overbore

See less See more
#3 ·
10000% pure BULL5HIT on the 'need' for a small base die.

Thats simply marketing crap. If you think you need it, I have bridge you may need also.

Any die that put the case back to SAMMI specs will work. I like LEE.

Yes, I reload .308/8mm/.30-06 and .223 for semi auto weapons.

#6 ·
I have to agree about not using the "Small Base Dies", I use regular RCBS dies (.308) and have not had any problems with feeding with either 2 M1As nor my M1919A4.

Use any good Die set and you should be good to go.

I have been reloading since '67 and have not need a set yet, and after about 6000 rounds of .308 reloads in the 1919 wont get a set now! :)

The referenced article is by far THE BEST I have seen in a long time on reloading, following it will remove many troubles for a new re-loader.

Chuck McClurg
Carson City
Nevada

#7 ·
RCBS says this; but then again you may have a different viewpoint but I ask if you who do not use Small Base sizing dies, are aware of the brass spring-back factor that will allow, over time your brass to expand????? Read this carefully about the 0.002" less diameter----

The Small Base Die set is intended for use for ammunition to be used in auto, semi-auto, and lever action rifles so that the loaded round chambers and extracts easily. The Small Base Sizer Die sizes the case from the shoulder to the head of the case a couple of thousandths smaller than a Full Length Sizer Die. In certain calibers it also sets the shoulder of the case back a thousandth or two more than the Full Length Sizer Die. The Full Length Die Set or Neck Die Set is not normally recommended for ammo to be used in auto, semi-auto, or lever action rifles. The Full Length Die set is recommended for ammunition used in bolt action rifles, particularly for ammunition to be used for hunting. The Neck Die Set can also be used to produce ammunition for use in bolt action rifles. The Neck Sizer Die sizes only the neck of the case so it will hold the bullet firmly. It does not size the body of the case nor does it set the shoulder back. Neck sized cases will usually chamber for three or more firings, depending on the powder charge and chamber dimensions. However, over a period of time, a slight drag will be noticed when the bolt is locked. At this point, cases will need to be full length sized and the shoulder set back so they will chamber and extract easily.

If the Army Marksmanship Training Unit uses small base dies, you doubters and scoffers then have to ask "What do they know???""" the balls then fall into the pocket--- Overbore

#8 ·
I have to agree with Pfarber. I use Dillion dies and reload for 30-06, .308, .223 and a host of pistol cartridges. Our .308 reloads work great with our .308 1919. They work alot better that when we convert the 1919 to 30-06 and then use our 30-06 reloads. I'm still working on this one.

#9 ·
I have owned and have reloaded for over 100 individual semi auto weapons in the past 30+ years. I have never used nor felt the need for small base dies. Nor have I had any problems. Brass by nature work hardens. Any time you size your brass more than is absolutely necessary you are diminishing the life of your brass. I had this discussion with an engineer at RCBS some time ago. Small Base dies are for the exception not the rule. Regular dies are designed to return your brass to factory dimensions, which is all that is needed. If the small base dies were needed then all dies would be small base dies.

#10 ·
I have small base dies (RCBS)in 5.56 x 45mm and 7.62 x 51mm for auto loaders that I have used for years without any problems. Now, for multiple reloading of the same cartridges many times, the small base die overworks the brass to the point of premature failure. If I am loading for the same rifle only, I use the small base die the first time around and a standard FL die after that. If you are want total reliability, use SB dies till the brass shows signs of cracking, over working or actually splits. Remember, safety is a first order of the day; you can buy more brass.....but not fingers and eyes.
I have owned and have reloaded for over 100 individual semi auto weapons in the past 30+ years. I have never used nor felt the need for small base dies. Nor have I had any problems. Brass by nature work hardens. Any time you size your brass more than is absolutely necessary you are diminishing the life of your brass. I had this discussion with an engineer at RCBS some time ago. Small Base dies are for the exception not the rule. Regular dies are designed to return your brass to factory dimensions, which is all that is needed. If the small base dies were needed then all dies would be small base dies.

#11 ·
I agree that SB dies are not needed... BUT.. if you shoot rifles with match type chambers.. then yes you might need a SB die.... but if you are shooting a 1919A4 or military type rifles with standard chambers then SB dies are not needed and will overwork the brass and the odds of getting a case stuck wil also increase.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.