1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
...same-same...

Just like the .223/5.56 are the same in exterior ,so are the .308/7.62x51. The only major difference is the case capacity of the interior. Will have to wait until I get to the shop this AM for a specific .308 over all length. Remember..,.there are no die sets for 5.56 or 7.62x51. All mfg's make them in .223 and .308.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
...busy...

Finally got to my 'putor...and see that an OAL (over-all-length) has been posted. According to the SAAMI spec's in a number of loading manuals,the max OAL is 2.810". I would hasten to add that an iron-clad 'rule-of-thumb' be followed. And this applies to every reload you attempt to do. Always,always seat the bullet .015 below max OAL,pistol or rifle. This assures that the round will fit in every mag for that cal and in every gun chambered for that cal. Disregard this at your peril....or have to re-seat longer loads.

I would also caution everyone to remember an adage I have used for over 40+ yrs. When you decide to reload ammo,remember...you are not just loading for yourself. You will be providing ammo for family,friends,neighbors...and anyone else who you may need to provide ammo to protect ....YOU. When ammo gets scarce,your skill may be the only thing that allows folks to defend themselves. Stay safe...load up...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Finally got to my 'putor...and see that an OAL (over-all-length) has been posted. According to the SAAMI spec's in a number of loading manuals,the max OAL is 2.810". I would hasten to add that an iron-clad 'rule-of-thumb' be followed. And this applies to every reload you attempt to do. Always,always seat the bullet .015 below max OAL,pistol or rifle. This assures that the round will fit in every mag for that cal and in every gun chambered for that cal. Disregard this at your peril....or have to re-seat longer loads.

I would also caution everyone to remember an adage I have used for over 40+ yrs. When you decide to reload ammo,remember...you are not just loading for yourself. You will be providing ammo for family,friends,neighbors...and anyone else who you may need to provide ammo to protect ....YOU. When ammo gets scarce,your skill may be the only thing that allows folks to defend themselves. Stay safe...load up...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Very sage advice^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depends on what the ammo will be shot in

I load at different OALs for the different rifles I plan to run the ammo through. I like to get about 5 thou of "jump" in the precision stuff. For the chicom copy M1a, it is 2.750 OAL for the mag.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
...case in point...,

Yep...if you are loading for a specific weapon,then what ever works best for that piece. That's why reloading is such a pleasure...a specific load for a specific firearm gets the utmost precision accuracy from that weapon. BUT....what if you need to share your ammo...? Just my 2-cents.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bullets

About six months ago I bought 2000 150 gr FMJ bullets from Midway. I notice right away that the ogive is not complete. I believe this is called secant ogive. Hornady uses a contour somewhat like that. At first there was no problem except in order to seat them the proper length for my Browning's, I could not seat them all the way to the cannelure.
Also when I seated them to 2.790, my usual OAL, because the secant ogive produces a slight shoulder they tend to get wedged into the rifling when chambered and if you attempt to eject an unfired round the bullet sometimes get pulled out of the case. Yes they are always crimped with a Lee crimping die but of course I cannot use the cannelure because the cannelure is about 1/8 outside of the case. A dangerous situation.
The only full proof solution I can think of is to seat them all the way to the cannelure and crimp them then make a special front cartridge guide to position these shortened rounds properly under the extractor.
Have any of you run into this issue? How did you fix the problem?

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Apples & Oranges and OAL

Hi folks--

I have been viewing the debate as to OAL of the 7.62mm x 51 for use in the Browning. The debate also applies to the .223 Remington/5.56mm family of cartridges as well. Really we are talking about apples and oranges. The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) is often the commercial "guidance" for the specification of ammunition. The specification is often a "broad" specification for different bullets and powder weights to be used. The SAAMI spec generally does not have proprietary, wildcat and old cartridges no longer manufactured. Thats not to say that any proprietary, wildcat or old cartridge will become a SAAMI spec in the future. That has happen. The cartridge case is a specific specification under SAAMI. Under SAAMI .308 Winchester can have a 110 grain bullet for varmint shooting, 165 grain bullet for match shooting and 180 grain bullet for hunting. 7.62mm NATO is a very specific NATO Standardization Agreement often called STANAG 2310 which calls for the specification of 7.62mm NATO ammunition. Its possible for a NATO STANAG to fall outside of a SAAMI specification. You often see this take place when you have a firearms where the manufacturer tells you NOT to shoot 7.62mm NATO in their .308 Winchester chambering.

The same applies to the .223 Remington/5.56mm family of cartridges but is a bit more compliacant. The SAAMI specification is a general specification for .223 Remington. 5.56mm M193 is a US Military specification (Milspec) MIL-C-9963G and drawing #D10523632. A lot of folks throw the Milspec around but its the drawing that has the real information on OAL. The US Milspec for the M193 ball does fall within the SAAMI specification. The 5.56mm NATO is NATO STANAG 4172 and is a totally different animal from either the SAAMI or US Milspec Ammmuntion. When talking about OAL the US milspec/drawing and NATO STANAG are very specification requires. SAAMI sets lower and upper limits.

I hope I thoroughly confused everyone LOL!! :lol:

Cheers

--fjruple

1 - 9 of 9 Posts