1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying again to get my a4 to run with 8mm. I have an ohio ord bbl. The rear stripper has been modified for 8mm. The front spacer is in place and seems to fit well. I removed the firing pin and ran 20 or so through manually and they seem to function as desired. I am using my standard links.

What diameter orifice should the front muzzle have?

Is there any ammo that will probably not work, or works best. What are the good and bad ones out there and what are the markings?

Anything else I am missing before I take this to the range on saturday?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Combination

Links seem to work manually without the rear spacer. I installed it and ran some cloth belted 8mm's, and they work fine. Looks like they link just fine in the cloth belts.

Since the bbl is the full size, heavy bbl design, standard front booster should be ok.

I will try those combinations tomorow and see what cooks best.

Thanks for all the info.

Have not tried this combination for a few years, it will be great to warm things up again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.718 Booster---Yes!

Had several around, some internally hard chromed, etc. .718 or close enough to work.

Should be fun. Have not warmed the toys up for a while. Checking out my loads for a fall visit to Knob.

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Progress

Conversion worked. Ammo was a disaster. Got both cloth and linked to run. Had some turkish 8mm. So hot the primers would 'flow' back around the firing pin and cause a failure to eject. Had to hammer them out. Got some romanian and yugo stuff to run without any failures. It cooks, just not with the turkish.

So now I am going to study the markings on what I have and see if any of it is usable. Have some steel cased rounds that work but I am a little reluctant to use them for wear and tear reasons.

Anyone have information on how to read markings on cases and boxes. I have several wood crates full of ammo.

Thanks,
Fred

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.