1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haven't bought any firearm or accessory in the last couple of years, and wasn't in the market for buying anything more. because, frankly nothing out there had me go "oh ah, I gots to get me one of those".

until I saw this, a 9mm belt fed upper to mate on a standard 5.56 AR lower. well, that is something unique and not the same ol' same ol' HO-HUM, that all the other manufacturers are putting out.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/FREEDOM_ORDNANCE_FM_9.jpg

so, I went and bought, from a company called TACTICAL SH IT (I kid you not, that is the actual name of the company) out of St. Charles, Mo. it was delivered in 2 days from when I ordered it. it shipped by USPS 2 DAY PRIORITY MAIL, now that is fast service.

I opted for the 6inch fixed barrel version, FREEDOM ORDNANCE has a quick change barrel version. but those are 600 bucks more. FO offers the upper in 3 different barrel lengths; 6, 11 and 16 inches either quick change barrel version or fixed barrel.

the links are proprietary links, it came with 150 links.

the "gun gods" have smiled on me this past sunday, I went to some garage sales and at one of them I found a large PELICAN case. it looked big enough to house this if I separated the upper and lower, and at 10 bucks I took a chance and bought it. when I got home and tried it out for size, it was the perfect size. I just took some old foam I had in my basement and cut it out for the upper to fit in.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/FREEDOM_ORD.JPG

I'm taking it out Wednesday to the range.

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's a fun one!!!

I'm sure you'll have fun with that one. Expect to see a range report next week. When it comes to linking, we already produce a 9mm linker that does 20 per stroke and bolts to the standard M7 .50 cal link loader.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
. Expect to see a range report next week..

you'll get one this evening, I'm heading to the range today.

When it comes to linking, we already produce a 9mm linker that does 20 per stroke and bolts to the standard M7 .50 cal link loader.
that's great, I'm going to make my own linker, or at least try, with the tools I have on hand. I tested one of my ideas using military 5.56 stripper clips.

I like to tinker around and if it's not too complicated I will take a shot at it. I made a 70 round PPS43 and MP5 drum and a 5.56 AK drum by adding a feed tower to the PPsh41 drum and the SUOMI drum, and modifying the AR15 feed tower of the BETA drum. they all work like a champ, no jams, misfeeds etc.... a linker is a pretty uncomplicated tool, so I wil take a shot at that as well. worse case I ruin some stripper clips

·
Registered
625 Posts
Post some pictures....

Creativity deserves posting pictures. I've been making linkers since the mid 90s and I always like to see the creativity of others.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I bought 1 of those uppers last year, Works like a charm. Really like the quick change feature on the barrels.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creativity deserves posting pictures. I've been making linkers since the mid 90s and I always like to see the creativity of others.
I will post pictures when I'm finished with it. for giggles I laid a 9mm on a 5.56 stripper clip and it fitted on there perfectly. so instead of routing out grooves, I'm going to use that as the feeding tray. for a link stop, I'm going to take the idea from someone on this board that was making .308 linker and using pins.

now, for the range report:

at times the bolt either wouldn't strip the round out of the link, it went right past it, this happened on the initial charging, leaving the round in the link. and when- it did chamber after a few rounds, the round jammed half way down the feedramp or the round was half way out of the link. I tried it both with the bolt weight in and out of the bolt that didn't make a difference. and I loaded the belt in the upper that was recommended and the links were all properly seated on the rounds, no short or long rounds

it's almost like the "spur" on the bolt that is suppose to strip the round from the link is too short, or the "lever" on the top cover that puts pressure on the round above the chamber isn't strong to keep it place. but when it did cycle and fired it was the "cats-meow.

I'm going to try it again next week with the 9mm rounds that FO recommends, and see what happens then before I called them about this issue.

I was using REMINGTON 115 GR. but that still shouldn't matter when you right off the bat charge the weapon, it should still strip it off the link, and not go right past it, leaving the round still in the link.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Just a recommendation. I thought the links were pretty dry when I got them so I did a light wd40 spray on them and let it sit for a few days before I linked up ammo. Rounds stripped out perfectly for me.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a recommendation. I thought the links were pretty dry when I got them so I did a light wd40 spray on them and let it sit for a few days before I linked up ammo. Rounds stripped out perfectly for me.
thanks, I will try your method :). the links are real tight, my fingers were getting a bit beat up linking up the ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Besides using a linker what works best for me when hand loading the belt is to stand the cartridge up on the desk and come down over the bullet and on to the case with the link. That way the desk is supporting the round and you have one link in each hand. with this method you can also tilt the link slightly as you start so that the first portion of the link can clear the case mouth with ease.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Besides using a linker what works best for me when hand loading the belt is to stand the cartridge up on the desk and come down over the bullet and on to the case with the link. That way the desk is supporting the round and you have one link in each hand. with this method you can also tilt the link slightly as you start so that the first portion of the link can clear the case mouth with ease.
that is what I did, I saw a YOUTUBE video make by FO on how they load the rounds, but even then it was a tough go at it. more then not it's because they were brand new links and wasn't stretch to pop them in as easy as the video showed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts