1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting the finishing touches on a batch of FN30s.

I've always fiddled around clamping a bolt to an angle plate to machine the sear slots. Bit of a pain to get everything square. Plus last time I over tightened the clamp to the bolt. When released, the bolt sprang open and the sear slot was too wide:jedicrying::jedicrying::jedicrying:

So I took an extra hour today and made three custom plates to leave bolted to the angle plate. The back one is perfectly vertical and has a machined edge. The bottom plate has a machined edge and is perfectly horizontal. Then there is a clamping plate to hold the bolt in. Made it extra wide and a bit lower on the bolt. The odd bolt location are dure to picking up existing holes in the angle plate.

Now, i can just loosen the two bolts on the clamping plate, slide another bolt in and go. When done tomorrow, I'll just set this angle plate aside till the next bolt machine job.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Very nice! That fixture isn't going to flex no matter how hard you drive the cutter.

Thanks for the post. I've been getting requests to thread existing bolt handles on rifles for screw on knobs. You gave me a good idea for a fixture to do that on a lathe with one set up.

·
Legendary Donor
1,683 Posts
bolt fixture....

i'd show you how i did mine but then i'd have to kill you.----sorry.
tomt:eek::lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts