1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I have a few more questions!

First of all let me say that I appreciate the information given to me so far. This is one of the more "friendly" gun sites I have visited over the years, you know how some of those other sites are.

Anyway, I'll # my questions to make them easier to respond to.

First of all the gun I am getting is in .308 and built by John McGuire. I decided to go with John after he was reccomended here and on www.subguns.com, and talking to him myself on the phone. He seems like a great guy to deal with.

1. I would like to run Izzy links only since I'm not a fan of the cloth belt loading machine (esp. the price!) and I like the idea of a well cared for link lasting a long time. Is there anything I have to do besides but one of those chrome trunion protectors on it?

2. I have 4 bad disks in my spine, and my shooting partner (Dad) has Cancer and heart disease, so we will have to shoot from a chair. Is my MG42AA tripod with adapter and T&E stable enough to shoot from while sitting in one of those folding camp chairs? Will I have to sandbag it?

3. I plan on buying an Emory Crankfire trigger. Is there anything I should know about using it?

4. I have 1800 rounds of that nice Portugese .308 ammo, it's what I'll use to test fire the gun when I get it. I plan on handloading for it most of the time though, since future supplies of the Port is iffy and it shoots so well in my bolt guns and FALs. I have over 50lbs of IMR 4895. Is the pressure curve on this powder suitible to function the action of the 1919? I'm thinking it is, since this powder is surplus USGI stuff. I'll be loading on a Dillon XL650 setup, and I have been handloading for over 20 years, so I'm not a newbie at it.

5. So far my shopping list looks like this:

gun in .308 from John McGuire
crankfire from Emory
adapter and T&E from a member here
Izzy links from source unknown yet

What else should I get for proper care and maint?

6. What are some other accessories that I could get to make shooting this safer/more fun/etc...

Thanks again!!!

Balming

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
balming said:
Well guys, I have a few more questions!

First of all let me say that I appreciate the information given to me so far. This is one of the more "friendly" gun sites I have visited over the years, you know how some of those other sites are.

Anyway, I'll # my questions to make them easier to respond to.

First of all the gun I am getting is in .308 and built by John McGuire. I decided to go with John after he was reccomended here and on www.subguns.com, and talking to him myself on the phone. He seems like a great guy to deal with.

1. I would like to run Izzy links only since I'm not a fan of the cloth belt loading machine (esp. the price!) and I like the idea of a well cared for link lasting a long time. Is there anything I have to do besides but one of those chrome trunion protectors on it?

2. I have 4 bad disks in my spine, and my shooting partner (Dad) has Cancer and heart disease, so we will have to shoot from a chair. Is my MG42AA tripod with adapter and T&E stable enough to shoot from while sitting in one of those folding camp chairs? Will I have to sandbag it?

3. I plan on buying an Emory Crankfire trigger. Is there anything I should know about using it?

4. I have 1800 rounds of that nice Portugese .308 ammo, it's what I'll use to test fire the gun when I get it. I plan on handloading for it most of the time though, since future supplies of the Port is iffy and it shoots so well in my bolt guns and FALs. I have over 50lbs of IMR 4895. Is the pressure curve on this powder suitible to function the action of the 1919? I'm thinking it is, since this powder is surplus USGI stuff. I'll be loading on a Dillon XL650 setup, and I have been handloading for over 20 years, so I'm not a newbie at it.

5. So far my shopping list looks like this:

gun in .308 from John McGuire
crankfire from Emory
adapter and T&E from a member here
Izzy links from source unknown yet

What else should I get for proper care and maint?

6. What are some other accessories that I could get to make shooting this safer/more fun/etc...
Thanks again!!!
Balming
Balming,
Thus far, your plan seems to be an effective one! On to the answers...
1. Not all guns run links, and not all guns run belts. Some are lucky and run BOTH. You'll need to determine that once yours arrives. Chances are better than not that links will run just fine. The Trunnion protectors are a great idea, but before you spend the $15 on one, print out the the trunnion protector diagram and make one out of a soda/beer can. Some weapons don't have the clearance for the additional .050" to feed properly. Mine doesn't!
2. The MG42AA setup SHOULD be stable enough, but you'll more than likely need to weight it down. The small hook at the center of the 'pod would be a good place to secure a 30 cal can of sand to stabilize it!
3. Crankfire? What to know? You better buy a LOT of ammo! A linker would probably be something to invest in if you are going to run a crank! Board Member Laminatrap sells one beauty of a linker that works NICELY... I have one myself.
4. The Port ammo should run just fine. I cannot help you with the reloading part, as I do not reload, nor can I offer safe advice!
5. A Linker, as stated before would be something "essential" to pick up. Figure on about $160-$200 for a GOOD QUALITY one. You also might consider a case or two of 30 wt. oil! (I use +/- 1/2 qt per shoot on mine. There are other options, but hey... the pistons in my F-250 have 97K miles on them and it's STILL running strong!!!)
6. Linker, AMMO, and standard shooting accessories for the M-1919, including a large, dead-blow hammer!!!!

Welcome to the board!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
our club

has some pretty sturdy benches and i set my ground tripod on top of one of these. since mine has holes in the feet, i pop in a few wood screws to keep it in place. it give a nice shooting platform. the mg 42 AA tripods are not very sturdy for shooting down range.

you will occasionaly get a broken shell case and a #5 broken bolt extractor works well getting these out. i stiff wire wheel brush for the drill helps clean carbon out of the booster. windex with ammonia will help with any corrosive ammo, motor oil will keep it nice and runnning smooth. welcome to the board

·
Registered
864 Posts
Welcome aboard and hang onto your wallet. Within a year, you'll be ordering pallets of 8mm ammo. :)

Here's a few things that I find helpful to have around:

1. Barrel booster wrench (original GI Issue about $25)
2. GI Issue broken shell extractor (about $15)
2. a couple of spare barrels (Cole's has .308 98% IMI chrome lined GI Issue barrels for $45 each.)
3. Assorted spare parts (all the top cover parts, extractor assembly complete, and firing pin).

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If you want a good, sturdy tripod that you can park a chair behind, the BREN tripod has my vote. You'll have to add an adaptor for a 1919 to it, but people here on the board make them. The only drawbacks are that, like everything else, the price has gone up and availability down in recent times, and the set-up weighs a bit more.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Looks like every ? has been addressed. I don't know where you will be shooting, at our range there is a concrete slab. Even on my 50 cal I take the front tripod leg and hook it in front of the concrete slab and that way it can't walk back so I don't need sandbags. If you're in the dirt or grass then you probably want to bag it or stick those pointy legs into the ground really hard.

I don't shoot 308, but in 308 with a 147 gr fmjbt, 42.6 grains of IMR commercial or surplus 4895 will give you 2631 fps or max of 47.3 grains (compressed load) will give you 2920 fps. You might try a few rounds at minimum load and see if it cycles the gun well...that's what I did with my 30-06 and 50 cal and they cycle fine. If I'm not mistaken, most military 308 was loaded with 4895 so it should cycle just fine.

Sounds like you're getting ready for a big time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

Thanks guys.

This answered all of my questions pretty well.:)

I guess it's time to break out the wallet and start buying all of the needed tools, accessories, etc. to keep my baby healthy, happy, and LOUD.:D

Balming

1 - 7 of 7 Posts