1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Amazing, just to think of the many, many M72 rounds we fired during practice during my days in the marines, we trashed the empty launchers because they were, useless. I did bring one to my son when he was 8 years old as a souvenier, he was into the GI Joe stuff back then and he considered me a "Joe"
he still has the launcher

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
So, how old is he now? I was the only one in the company who'd hit something on the first shot -- therefore I didn't get a second chance every time like all the other losers did, or a third or fourth. What a cool weapon, and how much fun was it to fire them -- especially when everyone was looking to see me miss!!! And I usually didn't. Did a three shot group on the M16 about the size of a 50-cent piece, won tickets to some professional boxing match -- which I had little interest in, but what the hay!

Bet they go for big bucks now.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Holy crap I tosed a dozen of those in the dumpster back in my Army Reserve days. Some of those even had the sub caliber liners in them. What the heck they were obsolete training aids.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I picked up hundreds of the M72 early launchers at Ft Jackson back in the day. I took them to gun shows and sold them for $3 on the table and $1 EACH in lots of 10 or more to dealers. Ah for the olden days. :lol:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I have one with the sub-caliber device. Still need to fiddle with the stuck re-cocking mechanism. Don't suppose anyone has a blow up or diagram of how they are put together inside?? Never seen one gutted open and don't want to practice on this one.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So, how old is he now? I was the only one in the company who'd hit something on the first shot -- therefore I didn't get a second chance every time like all the other losers did, or a third or fourth. What a cool weapon, and how much fun was it to fire them -- especially when everyone was looking to see me miss!!! And I usually didn't. Did a three shot group on the M16 about the size of a 50-cent piece, won tickets to some professional boxing match -- which I had little interest in, but what the hay!

Bet they go for big bucks now.

Carry On!
Gary
><>
32 years old, that was in 1989, so he was 6 years old, how time goes by!, I agree not eveyone hit the target with them , my first encounter with the M72 was in 1973, plus we got to fire the 3.5 inch superbazooka, the rounds were so old we had a high rate of duds, those were great time in the marines, my sons launcher is complete including the launcher cover.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
32 years old, that was in 1989, so he was 6 years old, how time goes by!, I agree not eveyone hit the target with them , my first encounter with the M72 was in 1973, plus we got to fire the 3.5 inch superbazooka, the rounds were so old we had a high rate of duds, those were great time in the marines, my sons launcher is complete including the launcher cover.
Sounds very familiar......In 1991 I was a member of a TOW missile crew. Were were at Yakima training center in Washington state. We drew the ammo and even as a dumb private, I looked at the Lot dates on the ammo crates and went "HOLY ****....is this safe?"......1976.....the missiles were 15 years old. One of them shot out of the tube and just landed in the snow 20 feet in front of us....had another missile leave the tube and fly straight up in the air.

Im happy to say in the years since, all the ammo I currently shoot is no more than 2 years old.....but its all 40 MM and below.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey call me 937-580-1133 lock guy

Sounds very familiar......In 1991 I was a member of a TOW missile crew. Were were at Yakima training center in Washington state. We drew the ammo and even as a dumb private, I looked at the Lot dates on the ammo crates and went "HOLY ****....is this safe?"......1976.....the missiles were 15 years old. One of them shot out of the tube and just landed in the snow 20 feet in front of us....had another missile leave the tube and fly straight up in the air.

Im happy to say in the years since, all the ammo I currently shoot is no more than 2 years old.....but its all 40 MM and below.
call me please

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have one with the sub-caliber device. Still need to fiddle with the stuck re-cocking mechanism. Don't suppose anyone has a blow up or diagram of how they are put together inside?? Never seen one gutted open and don't want to practice on this one.
Explain stuck . Is it cocked already. the little cocking thing will seem loose and not flush.
I can't remember if the sights have to be open in order to fire it. I need to go check mine, if I can find it.
GW

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Never mind, its Bruce, he knows how to operate, if he says its jammed

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
The tube is fully open. The sights are in the up position.
The cocking piece is fully forward. It won't decock. It won't fire.
The firing pin sticks out into the primer cap area by at least 1/4" to 3/8". That CANNOT be right.
Right??:D
It's jammed up inside the molded receiver area where all the inner workings are. I have no idea what a properly functioning unit looks like inside, so,,,,,

The original tubes have four de-mill drill holes that line up when closed. It won't close for me, either. The M190 subcal device is fully intact. The rear cap is all there. No front cap.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I met a guy that says he can get rebuilt practice rockets. I AM SO READY.:tongue::tongue::tongue:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts