1919 A4 Forums banner

A question about a Brass Hopper for 1918 Belt Loader ?

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  JMIKLS@HOTMAIL.COM 
#1 ·
Hi all, just wanted to ask the cloth belt loader gurus here, a technical question, on the old brass type 1918 type loader, the needle type that I have.

I was wondering: will the large brass, rectangular looking ammo feed hopper from the earlier loader, of from a similar type, or from what looks like a Clot 1918 type belt loader, will fit or and will work with my loader, as it currently has the steel strip ammo feed, the one that is placed diagonally in a cutout in the bottom of the loader's wooden box.

I saw a similar type brass Colt belt loader, it was stamped Colt, (but it looked remarkably close in design to a Browning 1918 type loader), with that type of an ammo hopper on it, at a show some time ago, but the seller at that time did not know much about it, and I did not have my loader conveniently with me/on me at that time, to compare the two.

So, wanted to ask those who do have the both of these loaders, or those who know all about these types of loaders, Will the brass hoper fit, or did they make one for the Browning 1918 Loader, or will the Colt one fit/work ? I believe there was also an Argy type Colt loader made, that also used a brass hopper with it, will that fit/work ?

Pleas let me know, any info and any help is always appreciated, as this is a learning process.

Thanks. Jim.

See less See more
#2 ·
One of the old time gun gurus here made a chute which plugged in where the original did and laid an angled , flattish tray out at a slight upward angle that you simply dropped the ammo in and crank . As long as the bullet end faced the correct way you just poured them in and they would feed .
Chris

#5 · (Edited)
...good question..

The brass funnel-type load device was originally used on the 1928 COLT-Argentine belt loader...as it was very similar to the 1918 loader and used most of the same parts. Yes...it will fit on the 1918 loader properly. However,this type funnel was designed for the 7.65 Arg cartridge which is similar to the .308 and very close to the same length. I have several of these brass funnels and will post a few photo's when I get to my digital camera. Auto part Vise Clamp
Tool Tool accessory Machine tool Machine
Machine Machine tool
Machine tool Vise Clamp Metal

#15 ·
The brass funnel-type load device was originally used on the 1928 COLT-Argentine belt loader...as it was very similar to the 1918 loader and used most of the same parts. Yes...it will fit on the 1918 loader properly. However,this type funnel was designed for the 7.65 Arg cartridge which is similar to the .308 and very close to the same length. I have several of these brass funnels and will post a few photo's when I get to my digital camera. View attachment 91779 View attachment 91775 View attachment 91781 View attachment 91777
Thanks for replying L999here, this is the type of a brass hopper I remember seeing on that loader, if looking at it from the side, the one I saw was I think maybe an 1"- 2" taller in the vertical mount/stand area, but the hopper shape and size and flavor certainly looks like the one I saw. It is great that someone has these, and someone can even make more, I had no idea that was possible, but it is great that the technology exist to do it.

Thanks for all the info. Jim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.