1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here it is...
Let's say that you have decided to purchase an expensive item. You pay the entire sum, upfront, including shipping.(as one usually would, but alternative pay plans were offered) your check is cashed, the obligatory 2 week wait, blah, blah, blah... You had done your research on the seller, hearing only good things, with the exception of 'it may take a while'.... Fast forward 8 months since the check was cashed.... You still do not have all the merchandise promised and payed for. What you do have is SOME of the parts, and about 5 different emails and messages promising that the items 'will ship tomorrow', or 'by this weekend'... Let's say that the seller is one hell of a nice person, and you don't want to call them up and scream at them, IF they even decided to answer the call, or call you back. But, you are sick of waiting for something that was 'in stock' when you payed. I am willing to give anyone a little leeway, and I understand that life is what happens while you are busy making plans, but 8 months? It's not even the time frame I guess, it's the multiple promises that the items will ship, and then nothing... No phone call, no email.... So, I guess the question is, at what point is it acceptable for me to lose my patience? Again, we are talking a pretty good chunk of change, not $50. I am sure that some of you sharper fellas will figure out the who's and what's of the situation, and if you do, understand that I left out many details because I am not interested in damaging anyone reputation. I am just looking for some suggestions on how to handle the matter from here....

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Good stories are free, just feed me beer and you won't be disappointed. If the story is worth the wait, be satisfied. If the story sounds woefully familiar and has an ending with you getting fucked, complain. J

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I like frazer42's answer, it sounds like a better solution.:eek:
Everything depends on circumstance and there is no easy solution to a problem like this.
If the man has as good as reputation as you say, there's no need to worry except for "when".
If he has no reputation, worry now.
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
alternative pay plans were offered
was one of those by credit card? because if it was, that is what you should went with. you won't ever get screwed over by paying with a CC, I mean a REAL unsecure CC not one of those pre-paid or one that tied into your bank account, that is still your money at risk, and they won't be charging to your rescue.

using a unsecure CC YOUR money is never at risk, it's the CC company money and they would be more then happy to take their money back when you contact them and do a dispute, and you aren't out a single cent. plus the CC company will charge the merchant a high charge back fee for being a dick.

as it stands now, from what you wrote, you have 5 options

1) hope that you get your stuff, but after 8 months, I seriously doubt that will happen

2) contact your bank and see if you have any recourse to get your money back. but after waiting 8 months, I wouldn't give that any hope

3) sue the individual in small claims court. and good luck collecting even if you win.

4) depending on the amount you gave him, you could always call the local cop where he lives and file a police complaint

5) just put it under "lesson learned" and figure that money went on a expensive tuition. the lesson here; always use someone else money (CC) to pay for things

way, way too many people put too much stock in reputations, feedback, "he a good guy" etc..... those don't mean squat, anybody can do a complete 180 and it usually the time when you send them the money.

here is my saying about sending MO, checks to someone on the net for things; don't send more then you can afford to lose, if that means you can't afford to lose 50 bucks, think loooooooooooooooooong and hard about sending that money.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Reputation vs Business

As a small business owner,my word is my bond. If I take someone's money for some goods or service,then I'm expected to deliver in a 2-week period for payment by check and sooner when it is cash or credit card.

At this point,I can probably guess who this person is. However,if it's been over 8-months,this person should be 'outed' and his business practice's should be exposed. Enough is enough. Expose the scalawag and maybe they will be humbled enough to either deliver the goods/service...or pay your money back. What say ye,folks...?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
As I said in my PM to you: I know he has had unexpected troubles for about a year and will not "rip you off", and he has always been a upstanding guy. I would suggest if you can be patient just a bit longer it may be to your benefit. I have burnt bridges before by being impatient, and I'm not implying that you havent been. It's a difficult hobby were are in, and patience is a virtue. I don't think anyone would blame you if you posted his name publicly, just be sure you have exhausted all recourses first.
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I would suggest if you can be patient just a bit longer it may be to your benefit.

WTF! the only person that is benefiting in this fiasco, is the guy who got ejc78 money and spent it and didn't send ejc78 his product(s). 8 months is far and above being patient. and what do you consider a "bit longer"? 1 year 2 years, when hell freezes over?

It's a difficult hobby were are in, and patience is a virtue.
again WTF! "difficult hobby"? are you on crack? what is so "difficult" about sending something someone paid for? where is the "difficulty" in that? personal problem or not 8 months compounded with lies about it going out next weekend etc.. and still received nothing is not "patience is a virtue", it borders on criminality.

seems to me your defending him that isn't a defensible argument; "patients", "difficult hobby" for whatever reason, maybe he your buddy etc... . if you bought something from me and I didn't send it to you after 8 moths and ducked your calls and e-mails or gave you "it's going on tomorrow or next week" and you still haven't received it, would you be so patient?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
WTF! the only person that is benefiting in this fiasco, is the guy who got ejc78 money and spent it and didn't send ejc78 his product(s). 8 months is far and above being patient. and what do you consider a "bit longer"? 1 year 2 years, when hell freezes over?

again WTF! "difficult hobby"? are you on crack? what is so "difficult" about sending something someone paid for? where is the "difficulty" in that? personal problem or not 8 months compounded with lies about it going out next weekend etc.. and still received nothing is not "patience is a virtue", it borders on criminality.

seems to me your defending him that isn't a defensible argument; "patients", "difficult hobby" for whatever reason, maybe he your buddy etc... . if you bought something from me and I didn't send it to you after 8 moths and ducked your calls and e-mails or gave you "it's going on tomorrow or next week" and you still haven't received it, would you be so patient?
Slowfire, WTF are you senile? :rofl: Why attack me? Because I gave my opinion? If you don't like my opinion then don't heed it, I could care less. I am only telling of my personal exerience and hoping others may benefit from it. I don't know what was purchased but I can only assume. I would guess we are not talking parts that can be located at Wally World. I know of nobody that was screwed over by the seller either, but do know many have waited only to be satisfied when they did get their items. Seems there are those who may be better off looking on GunBroker if you want something "now", but when locating items that are only available through a few select individuals you are at their mercy for wait times. I am not suggesting the OP wait forever, but there are other ways of handling this and it is up to him how he proceeds. Just wanted to let you know your barking up the wrong tree by slamming me for my opinion. I have no dog in this fight.:deadhorse:
CaptMax

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
...received a call...

Not to 'beat a dead horse' (excellent graphic,by-the-way),but received a call from a gentleman in PA regarding this thread...and I believe about the same individual that has remained unnamed by all concerned. I did not mention the scalawags name...but my caller did...same person I had thought was the culprit. Anyway,suggested he call or leave a message,and state that he was going to file a police report for fraud or theft with the county sheriff and call the post office to file a report with the postal inspector for fraud/theft. Give this person 1-week to either mail back his merchandise or the completed parts or he would do this. Then call the BATF (believe this person has an FFL) and make a formal complaint with that agency. This has worked before with several types of theft/fraud from stamps (my own problem) to guns and stuff. It works...just follow thru. This same individual has a couple of my items...over 6-months...and a RSP that he stated he would return....over a year ago. I'm still waiting....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Tossing in my opinion

Just throwing my opinion on the pile, but advertising something, receiving payment, and then stalling for MONTHS is rude at the least, and pretty much fraud. Life happens and all, but that's just a bad deal.

Then again, gun guys always over promise on work deadlines, and are crappy communicator. It just seems to go along with being a gun guy.

Heh, it wasn't me, was it? Hate to find out I forgot about some deal I had going and screwed someone over ;)

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
A couple things to keep in mind:

1) Most of the vendors that support the belt-fed habit do so part time. Another job actually pays the bills and must come first (I resemble this remark).
2) Most of the vendors that support the belt-fed habit are men of a certain age. Health issues are the norm for both them and family members, not the exception (I also resemble this remark).

There is a member of this board that has had parts of mine for about a year. I'm not worried, he'll get them to me when he can. Several vendors that support the belt-fed habit also travel for a living, that will impede easy communications.

Actually, the only time I've ever been ripped off was by a defense contractor (MANROY). One of these days I'll get around to notifying Dun and Bradstreet and the BBB. MSG

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Starvingboy ASKS: Heh, it wasn't me, was it?...

Apparently not, but I'd bet a buck it's someone in Indiana! (Send me a bill :violinist:)

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Is it the infamous
Lonnie (Sherman) Ingram?
Nope, not him.
I'm not sure why this happens to some guys and not others, no explaination for it.
It seems to becomming "normal" business with some dealers these days, must be the times we are living in.
I have seens both sides of this and do understand it can happen. I always say the sign of a professional is how they handle a problem.
It's not a problem unless they can't fix it.
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Nope, not him.
I'm not sure why this happens to some guys and not others, no explaination for it.
It seems to becomming "normal" business with some dealers these days, must be the times we are living in.
I have seens both sides of this and do understand it can happen. I always say the sign of a professional is how they handle a problem.
It's not a problem unless they can't fix it.
CaptMax
I would say that in business my experience is that 99.9% of both business people and customers have been honest and gentlemen/ladies. It is the .01% that screw it up. I would say that patience is important on the customer side and that communications is equally if not more important on the businessman side. Business relationships are a matter of trust (plus reasonable safe guards), it is all based on reputation. Unfortunately sometimes a business person/private party develops a good reputation over a number of years and then for a variety of reasons becomes unreliable or goes to the dark side. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If he's in Southern Indiana or close Ill try to help you!!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
In all my selling on ebay or GB I always, always, always ship within two days, even the big stuff. When I was out of work I was able to take up to five packages a day to the post office. Of course those sites have a feedback system and I did my best to make my buyers happy even if it meant losing money on the deal. 8 months?! you could have forged you own parts by now. KevinT

·
Registered
799 Posts
In all my selling on ebay or GB I always, always, always ship within two days, even the big stuff. When I was out of work I was able to take up to five packages a day to the post office. Of course those sites have a feedback system and I did my best to make my buyers happy even if it meant losing money on the deal. 8 months?! you could have forged you own parts by now. KevinT
I would've sent you coal for the forge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts