1919 A4 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
The man This post is about is a example. Been a collector sense the early 60s Kept it private. All this time. Just saying some prefer not to. Has nothing to do with it's legality. Has to do with a person's personal Opinion /Feeling's . I'm sure this Gentleman had his circle of folks that admired his collection. And a grand collection it is. Just a Opinion. I personally enjoy posting what i have. As most on this forum do,
I used to think this way and shared a lot of pics and showed people what I had. Now with the amount of crime and break ins and people running scams online I keep my business to myself and only share pics and show my stuff to a select few people that I trust. Just because something is legal and has a lower street value than it is with papers don’t think for a instance someone won’t take your Mp40 or M16 because they may not care of value at all its just another weapon and your stuff is long gone. Unless it’s all fully insured you are gambling with each additional person that knows what you have.

I may be wrong it may be the MG52AA I think with the screw on water jacket after looking at the internals. The screw on barrel jacket version had a centered barrel and would have to have a different arrangement of internals to raise the barrel up I would think. The MG52 has a barrel in the lower bottom of the jacket with a set of internals that would more closely match a scaled up 1917a1. I'm probably getting the designations wrong because I think there is also a M2water cooled as well. I need a touch up lesson back to Dolf books tomorrow.
Big bore you do have a good eye catching that as I didn't even notice myself until you questioned it. Regrettably Dolf or Robert Seagal didn't cover the early colt MG38 to my hopes in their books.
The WC .50 BMG on the cradle is the first version of these guns, the 52A. Left side feed only, standard .50 internals, etc. many of these early commercial Colts in the NFRTR are this version.
The next version, the MG52-2 had a much longer waterjacket and many other major and minor changes. It is easiest identified by the crenellated brass ring on the front end of the jacket which is a muzzle thread protector and left or righthand feed, etc.
Colt MG38 WC and variant is well covered in the reproduction of Colt's 1930s commercial MG sales catalog, "COLT Automatic Machine Guns and Rifles".
Doug Offinger built a quantity of sideplate MG38 and MG38B guns from kits which, I believe, he imported from England. Most were the 'B' Model with the spade grips and the remainder had standard pistol grips. I have some examples of these guns.
Dolf Goldsmith offered an original example MG38 B with his Jan. '82 ARPAC flyer. This is the
only confirmed example of this gun in the NFRTR which Dolf clearly knew since he was asking $12,500.00 for the gun. Few registered MGs commanded such a price in '82! No others have ever surfaced. Pic of the flyer I received back then from him with the listing. FWIW
Publication Font Book Paper Paper product

The mg52a is a dual feed gun. The mg52 was a left hand only gun but those guns didnt have charging handle slots on the left side plate. The charging handle was also in a different location. It came out of the center of the bolt where the bolt feed switch is on the alternate feed bolts, thus moving the cocking handle and slot farther forward and higher on the rsp. The early mounts have a lever that adds leverage and interfaces with the cocking handle. I dont know of any mg52 guns in private hands but I have seen pics of one in argentina that rory sent me. That doesn’t mean there aren’t any, just none I know of. The watercooled .50 in the above pics are both mg-52a guns.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.