1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All

So i am having feeding issues with my A4. I am shooting Wolf 308 steel case in a cloth belt, but every 5th round I have a Lake City brass cased tracer round. The steel feeds smoothly, but the brass fails to feed 99% of the time. Whats the deal? I figured it has something to do with headspace,that seems to always be the answer

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Sounds more like an OAL issue...Headspace has little to none to do with feeding issues....None that I can think of anyway...Take one of your steel rounds and stand it up next to your brass rounds...See if there's a diffrence in OAL...If the brass one is longer or shorter then the steel that might be your issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds more like an OAL issue...Headspace has little to none to do with feeding issues....None that I can think of anyway...Take one of your steel rounds and stand it up next to your brass rounds...See if there's a diffrence in OAL...If the brass one is longer or shorter then the steel that might be your issue.
I apologize, but I’m not sure what OAL means. I will check the lengths though

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Overall length ....Full length of the round....If it's too short the extracter will not grab the round....If it's too long the round gets hung up on the front cart guide.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,047 Posts
Good call on OAL check by GUNNER50. Mixing ammo in the same belt can definitely cause problems. So, once you have sorted out whether the OAL is an issue, we can move on to other things if problems persist. It is possibly related to headspace needs being different for the two types of mfg, but that is not terribly likely. One step at a time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Overall length ....Full length of the round....If it's too short the extracter will not grab the round....If it's too long the round gets hung up on the front cart guide.
Do I need to seat the brass rounds a little lower in the belt so that the ends are all at the same length? It looks like the Wolf ammo is a little bit longer

·
Registered
816 Posts
Sounds like your Brass rounds are to short. pulling them down in the belt probably won't do anything. They need to be the correct length. The 1919 is pretty fussy on the length of the rounds, there are way's to get around short rounds but not mixed length.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,047 Posts
Do I need to seat the brass rounds a little lower in the belt so that the ends are all at the same length? It looks like the Wolf ammo is a little bit longer
That's a separate issue, but you have just confirmed that the two ammo types are of different Over All Length. That's your problem, and seating depth in the belts should be the same, with the rounds all being the same length. If your brass rounds are short, they will fail to extract from the belt consistently. Being too short, they can slip forward in the feedway to the point that the extractor cannot reach the case rim. If your Wolf rounds run properly, then they are correct OAL. Your brass rounds seem to be out of mil spec and so will be a problem. Proper OAL is required to place the rounds in the feedway for reliable belt extraction. Hopefully I am explaining this in a fashion that is clear.

Reactions: GBYENKO

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Like Lucky said...Bullet placement in the belt will not correct your issue....Now that this issue is solved , we need to move on to another issue...Shooting 2 types of ammo in the same belt can be dangerous ..Even more so if one of the rounds are out of spec...This will be a headspace issue , and is the reason I joined this board...Many years ago I converted my 1919 to 8mm..I bought 3 types of ammo to shoot...I loaded 3 belts , 1 of each of the 3 types of ammo I had....In my head I thought that all 8mm was the same....I was wrong....The first belt fired without issue...And so did the second one...The third belt got 3rds in , and then the boom....A bent topcover was the result and a wasted day at the range....Go home, bend it back....Next trip....Go to finish off the belt of ammo that blew on me ...2rds in, BIGGER boom....That one cost me a broken topcover / topcover latch / and a piece of brass in my leg....Joined here and found out that not all ammo is the same , no matter what the box says ....Pick a round...Headspace the gun to the round and only shoot that ammo...If you change to a different ammo then check your headspace to that ammo before you shoot it....If you don't you might get 500rds out without issue , it's that 502rd that gets ya !!....HTH

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the info, I too thought all 308 was the same, guess not. i put the tracers in to have a little fun shooting it at night, but I guess that will have to wait. Hope you were able to pull the brass out your leg

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,047 Posts
It's important to note that 308 Winchester and 7.62 NATO do have different specs. Commercial projectile shape and weight can dictate the bullet seating in the case, and thus the overall length. So the key is NATO spec ammo, because the Browning design inherently requires the ammunition to be a fixed length, to fit the feedway spacing, for belt extraction. Any 308 might fit the barrel chamber and fire, but we are talking extraction from the belt here. This is why you have spacers designed for specific calibers in the feedway, such as the Israeli 7.62 spacers, or commercial 8mm spacers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
OP, why in the world were you trying to load the brass rounds like tracers in the first place? As noted above, find ONE ammo and use it. At a minimum, keep like types of ammo in the same belts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP, why in the world were you trying to load the brass rounds like tracers in the first place? As noted above, find ONE ammo and use it. At a minimum, keep like types of ammo in the same belts.
i was shooting it at night at my grandparents ranch. Tracers are fun at night

1 - 13 of 13 Posts