1919 A4 Forums banner

A4 setup - is this a good gun and how is the price?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  belt fed frog 
#1 ·
I've been interested in a 1919a4 for a while but haven't taken the plunge yet; I'm talking to a guy who has one for sale: does anybody have comments on the quality or price of this?
- KMP/ Classic arms 1919A4
- Custom standing adjustable tripod with elevation lock
- Mount for ammo cans to feed and catch brass & catch links
- 1 foot of flex chute
- extra 308 barrel, trunnion protectors, extra extractor and feed paw
- 3 lobe hand crank mounts under gun, trigger can still be accessed and used.
- aircraft sight
- cases for gun & tripod
Asking $6200, private sale
also has 800 rounds mixed headstamps linked for $500

The price seems high compared to others I have seen, but I've heard that KMP internals are good guality.
Thanks for your insight.

#2 ·
Basic gun is $2500-3000.......Many on GB in this range.

The other stuff maybe a $1000.

Kinda depends on what this tripod consists of but sounds generic by your description.

My opinion...others may vary.

#3 ·
The question remains as to who built the gun. The markings do not tell the whole story. KMP makes side plates for many home builders as well as professional ones, and their semi trigger and sear are the industry standard used by most everyone. But there is not enough information to be certain that KMP actually built the gun. You could call them and see, but they don't do a whole lot of gun building as far as I know, particularly on 1919s. Definitely sounds pretty high on the price, by more than a little. But it is hard to know without seeing the actual quality of the gun and accessories. Safe to say, I think, that you can do much better.

#4 ·
Same opinion here..........overpriced. KMP parts are a great and almost standard semi design now. The Right Side Plate (RSP), Trigger, and Sear are probably KMP parts, but everything else is more than likely just a home-built kit. I do not believe KMP "builds"/"assembles" complete guns. I would venture to say that most semi's are built with KMP parts now.
I would also be weary of the "custom" tripod, 3-lobe crank, etc.........sounds like someone along the line built an "economy" gun and this seller is trying to charge premium + prices.

If you're actively in the market, start posting on this forum (maybe the WTB section) and browse Gunbroker as previously mentioned. You will be able to find a way better deal, especially if you buy the gun and accessories separately.

Good Hunting, Matt

#5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

You have confirmed my suspicions that it was overpriced. I was told it was made/ assembled by Classic Arms - looking at their website, they don't seem to currently sell complete weapons; did they at one time, or have they always sold just parts?

I saw that Centerfire Systems lists an OOW unit for $2899 including the tripod and T&E; that sounds like a better reference price. Can someone point me to threads discussing the various component makers and assemblers and relative quality or things to stay away from?

#8 ·
Chemechie,
OOW makes good guns ,But they use a proprietary 3 denial island side plate and trigger system ! So if you need to replace major elements like Bolt ,Barrel extension or Lock frame or trigger They are the Only one`s you can get one from !
My personal issue with their design is that the upper bolt cut opens the drive spring channel ,now i will admit i have not had my hands on one to check if the cut removes one of the two Drive rod locks .

We do not call the Drive spring and rod "The Spring of Death" without reason http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?47...ve-rod-spring-accident&highlight=spring+death !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.