1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to the 1919 world but I am looking to build a semi 30-06 1919a6 with all USGI parts (or as close as possible) to fill out my WWII collection. I have a few questions that hopefully the experts here can advise me on. What parts kit should I start from? I see Apex has A6 kits, but they're missing what looks like a good $500+ of parts to be complete, and they're not exactly cheap to start with. Would it make more sense just to find an Izzy A4 308 kit, sell the A4/Izzy parts and acquire the USGI A6 parts I need? Izzy markings aren't necessarily a deal breaker, I'd just like the final build to be as authentic as possible to a WWII A6. Any of your expertise is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Although the Apex kits seam expensive, In my opinion if you are wanting to build a USGI 1919a6 You would be hard pressed to do it cheaper. And a gun built on one of those kits with a Quality RHSP with correct markings would be worth a lot more than a Izzy kit made to a6 specs shooting 06
Just my opinion
Welcome to the site you are at the right place and I'm sure you will get some more feedback.
Good luck with your build

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
USGI kits are going for 2k plus and you will certainly not find a complete USGI A6 kit for that but the APEX kits are great starting point. Barrels and parts are out there so get a USGI kit and then put a WTB thread up here on the board and I am sure you will find what you need.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hello all. I'm new to the 1919 world but I am looking to build a semi 30-06 1919a6 with all USGI parts (or as close as possible) to fill out my WWII collection. I have a few questions that hopefully the experts here can advise me on. What parts kit should I start from? I see Apex has A6 kits, but they're missing what looks like a good $500+ of parts to be complete, and they're not exactly cheap to start with. Would it make more sense just to find an Izzy A4 308 kit, sell the A4/Izzy parts and acquire the USGI A6 parts I need? Izzy markings aren't necessarily a deal breaker, I'd just like the final build to be as authentic as possible to a WWII A6. Any of your expertise is appreciated. Thanks.
I would hold out for a nice all USGI A4 kit and purchase the A6 parts separately. There are a few guys on this forum with nice USGI kits for sale from time to time. Also check on gunbroker as they come up for sale every couple of months. The apex A6 kits are missing too many of the high dollar parts to be over $1,800. It will take a little searching and time but piecing a nice all USGI A6 kit together is the route I would go.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you’re going to do an A6, do it USGI and don’t use Izzy marked parts. Mine is all USGI except I went cheap and used an Izzy marked bolt and it pisses me off every time I open the cover.

The best route is the Apex kit. Apex ran out of complete kits about two months ago, and as you know those sold now are incomplete. However, in the last two months I’ve seen on GB the necessary parts at reasonable prices (as well as the “I gotta have it now” prices). Get an Apex kit and start looking for parts, and be patient.

Take it from me. Do it right. Now I have that damned Izzy bolt in my mind, what a way to start the morning.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Wait a second, how hard is to find a USGI bolt and just have it machined? Then sell the old one or keep it as a spare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. A USGI kit it is. I should have the funds to get started in a few weeks. If Apex still has A6 kits at that time I will probably go that route. If not I will try a WTB ad or Gunbroker.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks guys. A USGI kit it is. I should have the funds to get started in a few weeks. If Apex still has A6 kits at that time I will probably go that route. If not I will try a WTB ad or Gunbroker.
In the end you won't be disappointed. The older I get I find that when I try to save a buck it ends up costing just as much and I'm not as happy with the end product. Better off to just bite the bullet and due it right the first time, the end result is always better.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Wait a second, how hard is to find a USGI bolt and just have it machined? Then sell the old one or keep it as a spare.

Time. I’ve been knocking off projects some of which are 8 years old. I had one part that needed an hour of machining and it was on my work bench four years. An Izzy bolt may drive me nuts but at least it’s there.

So in March (think snow) I bought the last Apex MAG58 tripod. Cleaned best as I could in the shop sink. Took it out two days ago with the pressure washer, which blasted off 80% of the crap Izzy paint...but not all of it. Worse, the original FN paint isn’t in very good condition, maybe 50% coverage. So if you’ll excuse me I have to go disassemble a tripod.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,034 Posts
One thing that will be tough to find is correct WWII legs for the USGI A6 bipod. They do not turn up often, while the post war legs are readily available. But that's something you can swap in any time down the road. There are some bargains on A6 bipods from time to time if you watch at the usual places. I have a fair amount of that in my build inventory, probably more than I need, so if all else fails I can help. USGI stocks are harder to find now too, though they were plentiful for years. You will want to get one of the WWII booster repros, as those are nicely done, a great value, and originals are exceedingly rare. The M7 flash hider is post war, just fyi. In any case, you will have a fun project to work on over time.

I agree with gettng one of the APEX kits. I've not looked to see how complete they are, and what's missing, but it is still your best foundation unless you find a USGI kit elsewhere for cheap. That will take some luck.

Reactions: GBYENKO
1 - 10 of 10 Posts