1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to adjust the Karma trigger to shorten the upward travel and make it a little easier on the finger ? Maybe a good polish on the trigger and sear or a quick pass with a small file to deburr things ????

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can adjust the arms on the return spring and tune it slightly.
Just make sure that you dont take off too much tension on it
or it will have trouble resetting.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
These things have an inherent heavy trigger pull, but the reset spring is what's causing most of the tension you feel. Remove your lockframe and remove the reset spring, reinstall it without the spring and try the trigger and you'll determine how much is trigger pull and how much is spring tension...you just have to reset the trigger manually after each pull while you're playing with it and don't live fire it obviously.

Check out the spring bending tutorial on the home page...I start with a wire 3/8" longer than shown so the finished spring is longer giving more leverage with less trigger exertion, but yielding the same force. The music wire will cost you about $1 and takes 10 minutes to bend your first one.

Deburring the trigger and sear is okay, but you don't want to dress down the engaging surfaces in an attempt to smooth up or lighten the trigger pull. One problem that has occurred is tight sear slots. I went back and reviewed your prior posts and it looks like you possibly did the machining yourself so it's probably okay, but you may want to remove the sear and just make double sure that it slides easily top to bottom in the sear slot...it might bind just a tad at the very top of the slot, but that's no biggie. If it binds in the working area of the slot then remove it, color it with a Sharpie marker and then work it up and down in the slot to determine the area of conflict and then lightly file the sear in those areas until it slides unencumbered.

BTW, you don't really want to shorten the upward trigger travel. By doing so decreases the downward travel on the other end and if you do that too much the disconnector will hammer into the bolt valley just forward of the sear and not ride up and over it. I personally back out my trigger stop screw in the lockframe as far as I can to get max upward travel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only did the RSP rivets. 30calmachinegunner, ??, I think, was the one that did the machining with a Karma trigger and Halo Mfg RSP. I asked the question because I am not totally familiar with the innards of the 1919, although I am getting up to speed pretty quick. I did not want to make a hasty fix to an otherwise easy problem. IIRC the sear was a little tight in the slot. Will check that and the sear engagement area for any wear spots and get out the dremel to add a little polish.

·
Legendary Donor
1,668 Posts
pull

the newest design has a bit more upward travel needed to fire the gun. people were breaking the sear end off, so we added a little height to them to replicate the FA thickness. it does pull a bit harder. but no one has broken one either !! any input ?? let me know!! thanks. tomt:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Basically I was looking for where to look to lighten the pull and reduced the travel needed. I had noticed the trigger ears were larger than the FA trigger. Will try to loosen up the sear and check the engagement areas. Also now having trouble getting it into battery at times. Seems to be binding in the trunnion area. I hope that it just needs a little lube, or a good cleaning.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Sounds like headspace too tight...back it off one or two clicks and see if it goes into battery easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts