1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in March Westland Military Antiques, Netherlands ran an internet ad for a couple of Korean War vintage USGI 30-06 linkers...OK I took the hook and wanted to buy one, contacted Pete from there and was instructed to WU the money. I figured that since I am ordering I might as well get some more stuff so I added onto the order, used the Currency Exchange Calulator on thier website and WU the money. THis guy Pete writes back that I have not send enough money so I sent more. From March TO THIS DATE I have not seen ANY of my order after sending over $500! The last communication I recieved from Pete was in MAY copy below:

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: RE: Internet order:
Date: Fri 05/23/08 01:23 AM
I just picked up your money yesterday. Western union has changed their
rules I have to go out of town to special place to pick it up. I will
check the amounts today and let you know if its correct now. Will ship
on Monday
Regards
Peter Kniest
Westland Military Antiques
www.westland.nl

I have since sent NUMEROUS emails with NO RESPONSE......

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should/could do?
Thanks,
Steve

· Registered
394 Posts
Looking at his e-bay feedback he's stiffed a few people before.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...rid=westland*nl&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&page=2

http://www.westland.nl/

Its also very difficult to collect from overseas people.I would be very patient with him (calm and cool) then tell him after you recieve your products your really interested in buying more products "big ticket items" from him.Make him feel like your going to be spending alot with him afterwards so he will complete your order.:eek:

· Registered
7,853 Posts
....dead-beats deserve no mercy...!!!

Sorry you are having a problem with an unresponsive Dutch seller. First I would contact Western Union (this is why I never use them) and see what response you get from their service people. Too bad you did not use ebay or paypal or even the US Postal service....then you would have some recourse and the international postal people work very closely,especially with all the internet business. In any event,I would also contact INTERPOL. They have a special unit for this kind of fraud. Get all the email and electronic info and make copies. Finally,contact this guys local police and file a fraud report. Believe me....once INTERPOL and the local police get involved you will probably get results quickly. They do not take kindly to their people ripping off an American busiiness man....bad for relations and the tourist industry. Good luck,Steve

· Registered
98 Posts
Sorry L999,

As LEO I can tell you that once the $ goes outside the USA there is NO recourse for us. We do not have jurisdiction then and the FEDs won't do anything for you. All you will get locally is a report to document the crime. If your lucky the detective might say he feels bad for you but that's it.

· Registered
410 Posts
Say what you will about Paypal, but it's the only way to deal overseas. You have their recourse method, for what it's worth, but you can also employ your credit card fraud recourse which does work!

· Registered
312 Posts
Dutch Deadbeat

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with the overseas seller. I don't think that legally you have much recourse. The best thing that you can do in the short term is to post on all of the boards that you can to discredit this *******. Hopefully, that will eliminate someone else from having the same kind of problem. Once you start dealing in cyber-space, you expose your self to this kind of vermin. His reluctance to contact you, tells me he is probably going to give you the shaft. It's a shame that some people's greed for money surpasses their creditability.

My Dad always told me: Their are more Horses Asses in the World than their are Horses!!!!

Good Luck! "MUCKER"

· Mouse Machine Works
1,681 Posts
He contacted me last night and told me that he's traveling, that may explain part of your problem. It may be that he contacted me because I haven't sent him any money yet.....

· Registered
1,845 Posts
dutch not all that bad

sir plus, I am sorry for you to hear one off the people overhere is giving you a hard time, and for all others who had a bad expirience with overseas buying, it,s also something I can understand, but to be honest with a nice fancy web-site you may expect, honest bussenis, but please dont over react, as far as the western union story goes, I know a lott of things have changed here in holland in the last weeks, we need to fill in besides the normal documents other paperwork, to prevent that some one might launddry his money ore wil send it to some terrorist, but that stil does not give this guy the right, to not send you your goods, it,s as simple as that.
there for i wil include a link to the police department thats in the area were the company is located

http://www.politie.nl/Gelderland-Midden/OverDitKorps/wvv/unit_renkum_wageningen.asp

they have a nation wide nummer, but you can ask for the department that is visable on the page, and do your story, I,m sure they have ears for that.
but also remember it,s not all bad people overhere. you can ask L999here ore aaron horrocks,florida AKM and a lott of more guy,s here on this forum,
I think it has to do with attitude, well his seems to be bad..
hope you can straigthen out things, john from holland

· Registered
1,036 Posts
it's too late now........but a good rule of thumb to go by, is never send more then you can afford to lose. buying on-line is like playing russian roulette, unless you pay by CC, where you have a recourse to get the charge back, and not out of anything..........but sending money to a foreign country, you can basically kiss that money good-bye

· Registered
3,274 Posts
We have bought tons of stuff From Russia ,Not one single problem at all.
One item we bought he said we were getting the last one in a Box.
When the box came in it had our money in it including the postage ,and the nicest quilt you have ever seen and some Chocolate .
And a note apologizing ,because the last one we ordered he didn't know it was cracked until he was getting it out to ship.
The Clock and Compass we bought that came off a Soviet Submarine being tore apart for scrap floored me when i opened the box .
The Clock keeps better time than anything i ever had ,and the compass is all brass and big enough to make a table out of.
both of these for $40.00

· Mouse Machine Works
1,681 Posts
I made a long winded statement and should have kept it to myself. I deleted my post.

Craig
Actually Craig I'm glad you posted your experiance, it definately helped me decide on how to proceed with my deal.
Thanks

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I read a story to my kids sometimes. In the end the young guy says to the old guy. I cant believe you are not mad at that old lady who treated you like dirt. The old guy says to the young guy. " I cant believe your still carrying that on your shoulders. The story goes something like that.

I never complained to Peter, and I should have never vented without at least telling him first.

I think after 3 years I'm still carrying that anger on my shoulders. I thought by venting on a Forum it would make me feel better, but it didn't.

Maybe Ill get over it someday. (Violins playing in background)

Craig

· Mouse Machine Works
1,681 Posts
I read a story to my kids sometimes. In the end the young guy says to the old guy. I cant believe you are not mad at that old lady who treated you like dirt. The old guy says to the young guy. " I cant believe your still carrying that on your shoulders. The story goes something like that.

I never complained to Peter, and I should have never vented without at least telling him first.

I think after 3 years I'm still carrying that anger on my shoulders. I thought by venting on a Forum it would make me feel better, but it didn't.

Maybe Ill get over it someday. (Violins playing in background)

Craig
Good lesson, if it makes you feel any better, by posting your problem it may keep others from going through the same thing you did.
That has to take a little weight off. :)

· Registered
1,187 Posts
Things do work both ways. About three years ago I purchased a bolt on Ebay (before I knew what they are like).

The person selling the 1919 bolt was in Greece. I don't remember the name now or the exact type of funds requested other than certified. I know nothing about buying outside the US.

I sent him a postal money order. He emailed me back saying the banks had recently stopped accepted US postal money orders. By that time I had already received the bolt.

He asked me to send US currency for payment. By his email I know he was very concerned about not being paid.

I sent him the $58 he asked for the bolt in US dollars sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard. After that he wanted to go in partners with me in the firearm assembly business. He offered to send me all the 30M1 carbine receivers I wanted and split the profits with him. I regretted telling him I did not have an importing license and the US Government would take a dim view of me becoming "The Lord of War".

· Registered
4,918 Posts
foriegn trade

I think things are a little slower over there, from all the people I have ever dealt with it seems that they just aren't in a big of a rush, good for their blood pressure probably but not ours. I know I've had some problems getting money orders cashed just from canada, it's gotten so bad that I only take paypal or US cash from other countries. Hopefully your situation works itself out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.