1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly me, I'm trying to make my own magazine spring. Yeah, I know it would be easier to buy one, but what started off as "how hard can it be?" has turned into "I'll be darned if I'm gonna let this beat me!"

I am trying to make a spring for a .22 single stack magazine. Picture a miniature 1911 style spring.

I have some music wire. I've made a mandrel to form it around. I can anneal it and shape it to work perfectly. Every time I try to temper it to put the "Spring" back in it, the stupid thing is either mushy and will not spring back, or it breaks. I don't know how much time I have spent on youtube and websites seeking direction, many of which are NO WHERE similar.

I even tried to reshape existing springs to fit. They end up the same way.

Has anyone here ever had success making their own springs? IF so, can I get a detailed step by step set of directions that could be used in a basic shop?

Andy

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe you would need a temperature controlled oven to do it properly. I've also had no luck making coil or wire springs. I can make a V spring with no problem. My high school shop teacher used to tell the tale of trying to make coil springs for a course in college. The pass fail was compressing the spring with a press and releasing it. If the spring came back you passed. He said nothing was sadder then having a spring just laying there flattened out.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Have you tried using the music wire as is, I know it's harder to work with that way but it should work.
That's the way I read and tried for making a coil spring. I had to make a slightly smaller diameter mandrel than the inside of the coil to allow for spring back.
I imagine a rectangular shape may prove far more difficult.
A three piece slab 'sandwich' mandrel might be handy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've made coil springs from music wire (actually double torsion springs) and the springs I made were a commercial grade. The secret is in the mandrel and the part of the mandrel which actually forms the spring around the mandrel. I controlled the strength with the wire diameter and we make several hundred for a project. Like you, when I set out of the quest, it was "how hard can that be?" and it evolved into my steadfast refusal to quit. It took me about a week to create the bending mandrel and it worked. But it's all in the mandrel. Good Luck.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm with Beltfedplus and the others,
It is all in the mandrel. Use music wire. McMaster Carr has it.
Mandrel must be smaller than wanted size. Do it on a lathe so you can keep a tention on the wire, feed it out (spacing wise) and keep your safety glasses on. A spring wire end can move faster than you can.

Steamer:)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've also made coil springs out of music wire, not difficult but takes trial and error to get the right size.

I can see the same idea will not work with a square spring. After winding music wire, it springs back. For a square spring, you'd end up with a cork screw shape.

I'm sure square springs are made with annealed spring steel and then heat treated. You'd need a good heat treat oven with an inert atmosphere to have a chance here.

Karl

EDIT, I decide to surf the web a bit on this topic. Looks hard to impossible to find annealed music wire, also known as 1080 steel wire. Mcmaster carr carries music wire in all sizes.

Did see reference to a good book on the subject.
http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Manufa...g+Design+and+Manufacture+by+Tubal+Cain,+No+19

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You got me interested enough, so i ordered the book off eBay 6.46 pounds sterling shipped to my home. Ask me in a month if it has good advice on square spring manufacture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts