1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am considering refinishing a top cover (Not 1919) using oven-cured paint then heat the top cover to 300?-350? F. The latching spring on this particular cover is hard to remove. My question is, at what temperature can one take spring with out destroying the springs temper.

Thank you for any advice.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,322 Posts
300-350* not enough heat to take the temper out of a spring a 1919 gets hotter than that if you crank a belt thru it ,i have done a lot of Moly Coat over the years and never had a problem with spring i could not remove

·
Watercooled Addict
2,092 Posts
If you are worried about heat, try durakote. It requires no heat to cure or cam be oven baked at 110 for an hour to expedite. Its tough.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In been using the spray and bake moly's for around 10 years. While 300 degrees SHOULDNT mess up your springs, it may. I have seen more than one spring die an earlier death after its been baked. Lots of these springs are tired anyway and the heat seems to finish them off.

The other thing to remember is the 300 degrees really brings out the grease/cosmolene/crap/gunk. This will mess up your finish if it happens early in your baking time. With surplus stuff you really want to take it all apart, degrease it, heat it, degrease it again (something ALWAYS runs out) and then preheat both as heating your surface for painting (its not really necessary) helps the carrier evap faster so you dont get runs if youre heavy on the sprayer/airbrush and to check one more time for crap leaking out.

Another option is to lower your baking temp and increase the baking time. There is no real science here. I seem to do well at 225-250 for 2-2.5 hours on stuff Im worried about getting hot.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Baking

Please heed the warnings from "gunslingerdoc" about making SURE there is NO grease or oil left prior to baking. It will ruin the finish. Been there, done that! I also feel you should remove the springs. Although they should be able to withstand 300 deg, the possibility exists that they will have a shorter life.

gunslingerdoc,

Good to see you here. I have missed you on the MG42 Forum. I am away from home for 3-4 months in Washington State, but if you ever get to my part of the country, my invitation is still valid!

·
Registered
37 Posts
All of the above is pretty much on-base. I'd add that before applying your finish, pre-bake for 3 to 4 hours at the highest temp your oven will do. Oil will magically appear out of the pores of the metal. It won't come out at 350 deg.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If yout use MOM"S Oven -EVER- line the bottom with tin foil. This stuff is toxic if you dont vent well when backing and cosmoline, 1. makes a huge mess in your wifes oven. 2. can and will BURN at higher temps. Remember that burnt cosmoline in your wifes oven will get your ass chewed, force you spend 3 hours cleaning it and you'll be buying dinner even if she was planning on grilling out side. I speak from experience.....:eek:

Ab,

Ive been on the '42 board a bit, but the '42's have taken a back burner to making targets, beating the kids, getting my house ready to sell, and working on relocating to MS. Thanks for the offer! Once things get settled and the forces of chaos abate.....might have some time for a road trip...Be careful amoungst them yankees!

·
BeltFed GURU
4,322 Posts
gunslingerdoc
i am sorry but ROTFLMAO yep that moly coat does smell but i never made that kind of mess (i live alone just me and a Very large Macaw) so i can get away with more ROFL

as for kids i suggest the cat o` nine tails fir beating em means less work on your part LOL good luck and safe jornney on your relocation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Boil The parts first..

When I was building my last project I took the receiver pcs. and boiled them in ZEP degreaser. It removed all the grease and grime.And the degreaser is cheap. Any home supply store will carry it. Its not flammible and smells like citris.Just do it OUTSIDE!!! NOT INDOORS!!! A turkey cooker set up works great. Have fun!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts