1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a good deal on Romanian AK parts kits, however the guy said they are sold to him by his distributor as replacement parts only. Except for the obvious parts like the FA componants, can the rest be built into guns with the proper compliance parts? I am guessing they are just saying that to keep themselves out of trouble, in case someone decided to build a FA or commited a crime with one. But I just want to make sure. I mean I havent heard something like that since the AW ban was in affect. Any help?

Robo

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
perfectly legal to build it, just follow 922r and you will be OK......it's a normal disclaimer that vendors use.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks slowfire, thats all I needed to hear.

Robo

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
A bad batch of Romy AKMs is floating around right now. it was sent to one of my vendors, and they returned it stating they were junk.

I was told they looked like they spent time in water, or stored in very wet conditions.

Just a little FYI to watch out for them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up. These kits are advertised as "Very Good" to "Excellent" so I should be safe. Thanks again.

Robo

·
Registered
273 Posts
no problem with building a AK from a parts kit .. just be sure to install all of the 5-6 US made parts so your rifle is compliant..

most of the Rommy parts kits i have seen in the past few months have been in excellent shape.. and will make you a very nice AK if you build it properly

·
Legendary Donor
2,485 Posts
Actually the ATF is allowing the barrels and certain parts to still come into the country as replacements only, the importers were told that they were not to be used to build guns with and that they had to notify anyone who purchased them of this. What will happen is ATF will see that people are not complying and put the barrel ban/kits back in force, just a heads up.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
If one build a PISTOL on a dedicated receiver, it's not an SBR and requires no ATF forms.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Yeah what he said

Yeah I noticed a lot of dealers getting in barrels like 30cal said one vendor that I use is centerfiresystems and they have brand new zasteva barrels for the yugo AK's and they are offering a special discount when you buy a yugo kit for an upgrade barrel. I love my yugo AK so much better than my Norstinko even though its in a Kali fixed mag state... That barrel ban really doesn't make much sense to me we can make everything that was banned on that list no biggy and probibley better quality too... Course then again maybe they realized the ban really had no point builders will build no matter the cost and if were doing it 922r compliant whats the big deal... What would be left of a kit for import if none of those parts could come in the furniture, the sights and bolt assembly?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kali Komrade said:
Yeah I noticed a lot of dealers getting in barrels like 30cal said one vendor that I use is centerfiresystems and they have brand new zasteva barrels for the yugo AK's and they are offering a special discount when you buy a yugo kit for an upgrade barrel. I love my yugo AK so much better than my Norstinko even though its in a Kali fixed mag state... That barrel ban really doesn't make much sense to me we can make everything that was banned on that list no biggy and probibley better quality too... Course then again maybe they realized the ban really had no point builders will build no matter the cost and if were doing it 922r compliant whats the big deal... What would be left of a kit for import if none of those parts could come in the furniture, the sights and bolt assembly?

If you remember back in school we had to learn some of the early Supreme Court cases like Marbury vs Madison. I can't remember which case it was but it emphasized the power of taxation to regulate stuff. That $200 tax stamp for full autos was aimed at controlling the sales back in the 1930's when it was a ton of money.

Yeah we can make barrels but US barrels boost the cost of a build by maybe $50-100. That should put a crimp in building.

I am happy to hear that the barrel ban is not in effect.......I hope.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Hey

Hey F-Troop in Kali we basically have to build exotics and make em Kali legal so 50-100's $ is no big deal to us you know but you guys that are free outside of this state I can see how it would bother your wallets...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmm.......okay, so how do I know if these kits are buildable or if they have barrels for replacement only? I already asked the seller and he told me his distributor said that they were replacement parts kits, but that doesnt make sense cause the only thing that could be replacement only, other than the FA parts, is the barrel. So I guess the question is how do I know I can use the barrels from the kits? Cause I would hate to purchase these kits and have to turn around and buy barrels.

Robo

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's my understanding that the Importer had to state that the kits were for "replacement only" on their Form 6 in order to get them in the country and the Distributor probably had to make the same statement to cover their butts but once the kit is your hands - you can build (you are not under the restrictions they were).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
for repair or replacement only - only applies to liscensed manufacturers from my understanding, not unliscensed individuals who are free to build firearms for there own legal use under the GCA

im not a lawyer though, nor did i stay at a holiday inn express last night

your mileage may vary, no animals were hurt during this post, this post has been known to cause cancer in the state of california, blah blah blah

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you can get your hands on a barrel (you can) you can build on it. The "replacement" thing only applies to importers who also manufacture guns (like century). It does not apply to you. Now, make no mistake. The barrel ban is in effect. I have already seen kit's sans barrels. The reason that you are seeing new kits coming is because after the import ban ruling, the BATFE came out with a new ruling that some barrels were "dual use" that means that they could also be used on "sporting" rifles on which import would be permitted. So any kit that ATF considers as having a "dual use" barrel will still be allowed to be imported.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you kind sir's for your helpful input.

Robo

·
Registered
21 Posts
F-Troop said:
If you remember back in school we had to learn some of the early Supreme Court cases like Marbury vs Madison. I can't remember which case it was but it emphasized the power of taxation to regulate stuff. That $200 tax stamp for full autos was aimed at controlling the sales back in the 1930's when it was a ton of money.

Yeah we can make barrels but US barrels boost the cost of a build by maybe $50-100. That should put a crimp in building.

I am happy to hear that the barrel ban is not in effect.......I hope.

McCullock v. Maryland

Marbury v. Madison brought us "Judicial Review"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts