1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 75rd chinese drum for my Yugo AK, and I am getting addicted to bumpfiring the entire drum :D. I was advised by my dad not to do it because it might screw up the barrel (it isnt chrome lined) , which I don't want to do because this thing can print nice 3" 100 yard groups with Wolf ammo. I don't do drum after drum, just once per range trip,and I let it cool for 15-20 minutes before I start shooting again. Am I ruining my barrel? My vote was that it's an AK, so it should be able to take it. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
....'bump-fireing'???

Sorry....don't know what 'bump-fireing' refers to. However you are correct in your thinking....you probably will get about 4k-5k round thru this weapon before you see an apprecialbe drop in accuracy. The design is such that it will take similiar abuse,as it is a true combat rifle...IMO,of course. Have fun....

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
i've seen

full auto AK's get soooo hot the wood grips burst into flames. we really don't know what kind of abuse these have been through before we gave them a second life. mine's not that accurate as it stands now. i've seen somebody advertising new barells recently but it's not a easy job. i say shoot away

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't think bump fireing will hurt it any more than regular shooting.

Hel%, those things were made to run in full auto...

·
Registered
749 Posts
We blast 75 round drums all the time through our full auto M92 krinkov without a chrome lined barrel, and it doesn't seem to effect the gun. Just do it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
We fire so many rounds thru the AK, I was reloading and my friend was emptying, I couldnt keep up.....40 rounds in 8 seconds, maybe 7. I think we went thru a 75 round drum and 3 or 4 40 round clips. We had to stop cause' the barrel was RED HOT. It was so hot you could see the bullets going thru. The wood started to smoke. Needless to say we went thru 1000 rounds bumpfiring that day and still brought it out with us again. The gun must have 8-10k rounds thru it by now. Just dont do this to a new polytech..............................

·
Registered
273 Posts
you can bump all you want to,, but over time your going to have problems with the trigger group.. excess wear.. but they are cheap to replace..

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
L999here said:
Sorry....don't know what 'bump-fireing' refers to.
"Bump firing" refers to hooking your thumb (with it through the tigger guard) then through the side beltloop on your pants and pulling the gun forwards. Recoil impulses make the gun feel like a "fire hose" while the mag emptys.

Basically this is "poor-man's" full-auto... Don't have any illusions that such fire is accurate. It's more about speed - so it's a "who give a ****" IMHO.

I say it's a waste of ammo and needlessly hard on your gun. However, do what you want - as long as it's legal.......

I actually learned this from a friend who is an LEO!

So far, stupidity is STILL legal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, most people would say that 1919s are a waste of ammo and needlessly hard on your wallet :D. Is it fun? yea. Is it a waste of ammo? sure. Is it stupid? Well, I figure its pretty smart if you don't have the cash or dont want to lay out the cash for a real MG. I don't do it alot, but does it make for good shits and giggles every now and then.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When you see sparks coming from the barrel you know you should a stopped a while ago. :D Buy your self a romy kit for a spare barrel.

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
Slick! UR a Kali and baggin on something we CAN still do? :rolleyes: Don't let me catch you smiling if you ever see me man portable! ;)

BTW...picked up my new car today! Twin mount is being worked on :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have to bump from the hip you should just quit.... if done right, it's off the shoulder and you should not be able to tell its bumpfiring. it should look like F/A to anyone around. accurate..well no but you should be able to keep minute of truck @100 yds. yes it's a waste of ammo.. so is a f/a

Slick said:
"Bump firing" refers to hooking your thumb (with it through the tigger guard) then through the side beltloop on your pants and pulling the gun forwards. Recoil impulses make the gun feel like a "fire hose" while the mag emptys.

Basically this is "poor-man's" full-auto... Don't have any illusions that such fire is accurate. It's more about speed - so it's a "who give a ****" IMHO.

I say it's a waste of ammo and needlessly hard on your gun. However, do what you want - as long as it's legal.......

·
Registered
944 Posts
Slick said:

You sir, are full of crap. There are several ways to bump fire. I bump from the shoulder, not the hip.

Just because you can't hit the broad side of a barn doesn't mean others can't.

I can bump fire my AK as accurately as a full auto AK. I have tried back to back and they hit the same. Pop up tagets going down with 3 round bursts.

I reduced some watermelons to slime Sunday bump firing my BW5. If dead melons could talk, they would say you are full of crap too! :p

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Slick said:

Crap, Crap, and MORE Crap. Recoil impulses do not make the gun feel like a fire hose. They make a semi feel like a FA, complete with recoil with muzzle climb.

Is it needlessly hard on a gun? I don't think so, so long as it's done with a modicum of common sense in letting the barrel cool between mag dumps.

Now to the "hooking the thumb" on the belt-loop crap... I, like some of the other gents on this board have a little more "skill", if you will, and can bump from just about any position you can come up with, as well as the prone position. Is it accurate? Probably not as accurate as you guys that take 20 seconds between rounds and have kittens at the range when guys like me practice failure drills, and double taps. Yes, I can keep a decent size group at 25, 50, and even 100 yards while bump-firing.

Is it a waste of ammo? That depends on the situation. If you are at the range and practicing, I'd have to say no. If you are show-boating for your buddies, then maybe. If you are dispersing a crowd of rioters, then your tactics and training and ability to adapt to your situation have paid off in spades. (No, this is NOT likely for the average Joe, and I'm not a "doomsday" person!) I'm just saying that before you go and slam every tactic that you hear of is rather silly, and somewhat arrogant.

Your style of shooting may be offensive to others just as you seem to find bump-firing offensive.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have seen someone bumpfire an ar15 from the shoulder and it looked just like full auto - amazing. Afterwards he said he was out of practice. Finding a range to do it can be a problem here in the midwest.

·
Registered
944 Posts
It's funny. On about any gun related site, if you start talking about bump firing, you get somebody who proclaims all who practice bumping to be ignorant, dangerous fools.

When you quizz them on their "opinion", if they bother to reply, it turns out they have never tried bumping or tried and couldn't get to work.

A lot of the time, it turns out to be somebody who recently spent a fortune on a FA gun.

I think they are just pissed that they can't manage to get bumping to work or that we get the same results as their FA for a tiny fraction of the cost.

:D

(If I can find it, I should post the video of my 8yo son bumping my AK)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm pretty good at bumping from the hip with my AK and I've seen guys who can empty a drum with no problems but I haven't had any luck from the sholder.

You guys have any tips?

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts