1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember the grouping itself is not bad, it is how much the sights have to be adjusted just to hit the target at just 100 yards. The group is still shooting a bit low and to the right. Check the other pictures to see the settings for the rear and front sight.

The Front Sight is all the way down and you can see the tip of the sight has already been moved to the left a bit.

In order to obtain this result at 100 yards, the rear sight had to be set at 400 yards and off center about 4 clicks and still shooting a bit low to the right. This is very bad considering at the lowest setting of 200 yards it should shoot a bit high.

These are not the results I expect from a quality built item and from what I am reading most of the home builts are actually shooting more in line.

I will e-mail Allied Armament with these results and hope he read the first posts as he said he was going to monitor them.

Once again I appreciate everyone taking the time to provide their input/feedback.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Just a note for your windage sight adjustment, when you move the front sight post to the left, the bullet path moves to the right. As far as windage goes, you can probably move your front sight post to the right and towards the center of front post alignment, and get it so your rear sight is not off-centered to the left.

Here is how I setup my guns that have windage on both front and rear sights. : I put the rear sight in the middle for the windage, and then I adjust the left/right of the front post until I have the windage sighted in.

As far as your elevation goes, having the front sight all the way down and having to set the rear on 400 to hit at 100 yard is unacceptable. Kudos to Allied for offering to take care of this for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
thanks jim (allied) good product stewardship.

i have (3) 1919a4's from allied and they are great. i got one in the mail about 2 hours ago and it look great, can't wait to shoot it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
1919semi-owner..All this talk would never have happened if you knew the basics about adjusting sights..Your sights are not adjusted properly..It would be terrible if a manufacter would have to sight in every 1919 he sold..ALLIED ARMAMENT is really going far out of their way for you..I hope you really appreciate this..

·
Registered
20 Posts
way to go allied armament! good sport! now if you would just send me one of those full auto belt feds from your web site (verry cool videos!) to california we will be best friends:D , rob doggy dog

·
Registered
342 Posts
I got lucky, first time I checked the sights
was today. I've got a feed problem, but when
I put a target at about 60 yards for a quick
feed test, this is how it shot, three of the holes
are from the crank fire, the sights have never
been set.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sights

I tend to agree with 57Strat. Center up the rear sight then adjust the front sight. As for the elevation, that's why they later went to the adjustable front sight. Let me ask one question. When you have the gun on a solid tripod and you grab the booster cone does the shroud and barrel assembly flop up and down and side to side? I have seen builds where the shroud is screwed on till the set screw hole lines up then a screw is installed leaving the gun with a barrel that flops in the wind. Judging from your photo I think that if you would adjust the front sight to the right it would make the gun shoot to the left. Then you would have to adjust the rear sight closer to center to get it to shoot back to the right. By the way, the group you showed doesn't look all that bad in the first place. If you want everything right on center then get an adjustable front sight and think a little about what happens when you move a sight one way or the other.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RICKI said:
1919semi-owner..All this talk would never have happened if you knew the basics about adjusting sights..Your sights are not adjusted properly..It would be terrible if a manufacter would have to sight in every 1919 he sold..ALLIED ARMAMENT is really going far out of their way for you..I hope you really appreciate this..

Actually if you read the entire issue you would have notice it goes beyond basic sight adjustment.

Can you tell me how to adjust the sights any more so the rear sights don't have to be set at 400 yards to hit a target at 100. I would be very interested in hearing about it.

And if it were such an easy fix, I would have thought AA would have done so the first time.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
OK, I got to ask, just because. Was this one of AA top grade guns or one of the lower priced ones he's been haveing Specials on?..
.Just a thought here for any of you guys that get involved with M1's. Have you ever seen a CMP, surplus, or reworked M1 that the rear sight setting for elevation was in the correct location.? I know I think I've had to adjust every one I've ever owned and most, all if not all, I've worked on for others.
I'm sort of thinking AA may have gone, Above and beyond the call, on this one....Lou

·
Registered
22 Posts
File down the front post a little...done

It appears that this weapon could have it's sights "centered" better if it were properly adjusted for windage, as for the point of impact(POI) being way too low, a little file action on that "tall" front post would bring the POI in line with expectations. Work it out with AA if you want, but I suspect you could have it were you want it with another trip or two to the range.

JMO,

Keyth

·
Registered
169 Posts
1919Semi-owner..Your inexperience will cost ALLIED ARMAMENT money..People ask questions about the function of a gun but i never heard one question about ALLIED ARMAMENT..You are the first..No one has asked about adjusting sights..Most people who buy 1919 a4 know basics about guns..READ SOME BOOKS...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohioblacksheep said:
OK, I got to ask, just because. Was this one of AA top grade guns or one of the lower priced ones he's been haveing Specials on?..
Actually it was purchased before the "special", but I did get a better price than the advertised priced because I promised to post reviews about it on the board since they were still trying to drum up business.

I too have purchased Surplus items that required sights to be adjusted, but there all correctable so when set they hit were they were designed to hit at a 100 yards, but this is not the case with this item.

Ok, the windage could be adjusted, yes I totally agree, but should I really have to have the rear sights set to 500 yards to hit a target at 100?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RICKI said:
1919Semi-owner..Your inexperience will cost ALLIED ARMAMENT money..People ask questions about the function of a gun but i never heard one question about ALLIED ARMAMENT..You are the first..No one has asked about adjusting sights..Most people who buy 1919 a4 know basics about guns..READ SOME BOOKS...
Please show me a single book that will tell me how to adjust sights that are set to 500 yards just to hit a target at 100 yards. I am very interested to know.

·
Registered
118 Posts
jeez.. I think you are really blaming the Israelis for shipping out such defective 65 y/o assorted gun parts that have been through more wars than france has had a chance to surrender in...
Really, the elevation is a file fix, but good for you for asking if there was a way to fix it on the boards before complaining about AA (who has gone above and beyond here and in the past).

·
Registered
142 Posts
HERE HERE my thoughts exactly
discountupgrades said:
jeez.. I think you are really blaming the Israelis for shipping out such defective 65 y/o assorted gun parts that have been through more wars than france has had a chance to surrender in...
Really, the elevation is a file fix, but good for you for asking if there was a way to fix it on the boards before complaining about AA (who has gone above and beyond here and in the past).

·
Registered
169 Posts
1919Semii-owner..Please move the front sight to the center then you will be able to the rear sight to the center. set the sight to 100 yards and file down the front sight until you are on target..You will be happy and offer ALLIED ARMAMENT appology

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RICKI said:
1919Semii-owner..Please move the front sight to the center then you will be able to the rear sight to the center. set the sight to 100 yards and file down the front sight until you are on target..You will be happy and offer ALLIED ARMAMENT appology
File down the front sight?
Why should I have to make a physical change like that.
The majory of others and even the home builds items all work fine, so why should I have to take a file to it.?

Oh, and what happens if filing it down doesn't work? What then?

When something doen't work I would rather get the problem fixed rather than work around the problem.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts