1919 A4 Forums banner

Allied Armament 1919A4's

11K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  dexter 
#1 ·
Just would like to get some feedback on the Allied Armament's 1919A4 owners out there. What kind did you get, the original configuration of the basic 1919A4? Are you satisfied with you prchase? Any problems with it? By now you get the idea. If you have any pictures to show that would be great!!!

#3 ·
I got one of the $989 deals in a few weeks ago. Its my first 1919 semi, very solid and looks to be well fit. The Parkerizing was a little weak on the booster at the bottom, probably from sitting the tank on that one side too long? Anyway i shot about 150 metal linked Indian surp. 308 rounds thru it with only one failure, due to a bad primer. It's accurate, steady, and quick to lock up. You can work the trigger very fast and get a good, almost realistic full auto rate out of it! I was firing it prone off an original tripod with pintle and locked down T&E. I am very happy with it for the price. I have no complaints other than the slight bit of thin park on the booster (that dosnt bother me) and the right side rear sight protector ear was a little bent. Also the rear sight elevation and windage knobs are a little hard to turn by hand, have to use a pair of pliers to adjust, but they work. Still, all good for the price. Will be converting it to .308 blank fire and .30-06 live fire shortly with new barrel/booster.

#4 ·
I bought one about ywo months ago. My dealer who is a class III dealer and owns, and has shot/sold, lot's of FA 1919s was amazed at the fit and finish of mine. He said it was the nicest one he'd ever seen. I was impressed with the smoothness of the action. I read, and recommend you do likewise, all the information on this site, regarding, disaassembly/reassembly, and most importantly, HEADSPACE!! Once you understand that you're good to go.

All the threads I read on this board recommended using synthetic motor oil as the lube, I would have thought it would have been grease on something this big. AA had test fired the gun, but had not cleaned it. I cleaned the barrel only, not the internals, I did however study where the wear marks were, lubed those areas with 30 wt synthetic, motor oil, and reassembled her. As a side note, I use 30 wt syn oil on all my pistols (1911s and p-22) also on my 22's (10/22, ar15, m96 Recon), on my battle rifles I use Synthetic wheel bearing grease (M1 Garands, M1As, FALs)
I've been using both synthetics for almost 10 years now with very good results. Why pay out the butt for a little tube of lube at the gun store, when you can get a whole tub of grease, or quart of oil, for about the same price, and if stored properly will last you for years?

I took the AA 1919 out last week for it's first firing, we loaded our belts in 100rd sections. We fired about 150 semi-auto, then we installed the Emory Crankfire (I highly recommend one of these),= and cranked the other 550 rds that we shot........WHAT A BLAST!! My shooting partner, Marc, and I dumped 700rds without one jam, or malfunction. I was very impressed! I can now highly recommend Allied Armament, they make a good product. We let the gun cool 15-30 minutes between each belt. Two of the belts we ran through (with a cooling period between each) with the crankfire as fast as she'd go, she was smoking, and hot, but worked 100%.

I finally cleaned the 1919 earlier this week. I saw where the barrel had wear marks up by the booster, and had oiled it there around the muzzle, before I fired her, this may have been a mistake, as there was quite a lot of powder residue "impregnated" onto the front of the barrel, a cleaning brush and Sweets 7.62 cleaner didn't faze it, I had to scrape it off with a razor blade. The chrome lined Israeli barrel was filthy, but easy to clean. By the way we were shooting South African 308.

The internals were filthy with carbon and brass residule, but cleaned up easy with Hoppes #9 and a toothbrush. Some of the oil I had applied was gone, maybe from shooting, but most likely the fresh parkerization sucked it up like a sponge, however, all the metal to metal moving pieces were still WELL lubricated. I may try synthetic wheel bearing grease on her in the future, but for right now she runs fine on the syn oil, so that's what I reassembed her with once I got her all cleaned up.

Anyway I rambled enough, bottom line, I highly recommend AA!!

Hope this helps
Tom Kelly
Buckeye, AZ

#5 ·
Got mine unfired from a fellow in Texas who had to sell due to business problems.. 5000 rounds.. Still ticken... Thought I had a trigger problem in the beginning and before I could say HELP, James at AA sent me a new lockframe and backplate exchange at no charge...

And I got the gun, second hand...

Now, beat that...

Tim

#6 ·
Allied 1919a4's

Have several of James' basic 1919a4's. Run belts through all of them without a hiccup as long as I adjust the headspace every time I change lots or manufacturers of ammo. One of the guns is not fond of links. The others take links fine, too. I use belts to cut down on trunnion wear.

Ditto to the above post on the crankfire. You can clear a range in moments with one of those. Everybody puts down what they are doing and wanders over to see your "automatic". :)

#7 ·
First off, I'm a F-N-G to civilian owned belt fed weapons. That said, I'm very familiar with the military's full auto versions (22 years active duty w/ 3 Middle East vacations in the sand box). Fired all presently fielded, and some that are no more (way fun, as my teenage Son would say). I've yet to receive my 1919A4 that I ordered from AA. Which brings me to my question...how is their customer support, and how long does it usually take from payment to delivery (weapon, tripod, spade grips)? I sent in my $$ and had my dealer FAX his FFL, and 1 PM and 3 phone calls later I can't seem to get a answer as to if they received my payment. Watching the threads from the background, I know they are busy with the SW5 deal and the special I jumped in on.

Anyway, any thoughts.

Thanks.

Brian

#8 ·
There's the rub. . .

No NOMEX necessary, Brian.

I have made several purchases from James and they have all gone about the same way you describe above. Sometimes the wait between emails and answers or between payment and shipping is maddening, but the products are well built, reliable and very reasonably priced.

I seems like James is one of those guys with a hundred ideas an hour, most of them good ideas. I know his business is growing and that he has hired more employees, including some from other well-know manufacturers, to keep up with demand. He also injured a hand recently and is going to college part time to finish his degree. I'm not sure when he sleeps.

Anyway, bottom line is that I have sent several thousand dollars to James for various products and services and he has never tried to screw me - ever. That's worth a lot more to me that the small irritations that come along during the process.

#9 ·
You can take your nomax off. I monitor the boards to make sure questions like these get answered, because its in eveyones best interest and when people cannot contact the shop they can usually contact us via email or here. To answer your question, when you placed your order did you talk to Jason? Usually he will give you an upfront date of delivery for the weapon, currently at 4-6 weeks. As for not answering the phone, we do only have one line and most of the time it is taken up with orders so your best option is to leave a message, for which should be answered withing 1-2 business days.

If you have any other questions or any concerns feel free to ask, this is an open discussion board, so nothing should be left undisclosed.

#12 ·
James:

Thank you for your concern and directness. I think it was Jason that I talked to, and opted for the non-credit card discount. So, I sent in my cashier's check with a note describing the items being purchased. The issue, at least from where I'm sitting, is that I do not have complete confidence in our national postal service (from this end). So, with a couple thousand dollars floating somewhere between your shop and my house...you can see where one might get concerned. If I had doubted you all, I would not have placed an order:)

So, I'll drop you guys a line early next week, and see where we stand re: receipt of the moola. I'm really psyched about owning a 1919A4, and am sure I can talk my Bride into viewing it both as an investment, and a form of artwork to be displayed in our living room (1st option likely, 2nd improbable).

I've enjoyed watching the board during the last few weeks, am glad I decided to get on board, and thank all involved in this site.

Brian

#15 ·
My gun is sitting in pieces on the floor of Ohioblacksheeps shop. I can't get 2 rounds to fire through it. I'm using LC 73 ammo so I don't think that's the problem. Lou is busy making the water tanks right now. Maybe we'll look at it when the snow comes. Would I buy another one, nope.

#16 ·
I can vouch for what's been said--its frustrating to leave a message and not get a callback the same day, but I'd rather have Allied building weapons than answering phones all day.
It took about 6 weeks for my gun to get to me. I've only taken it out once so far and I need to get another part to get the crankfire up to speed, so its too early for me to report on functions. It sure does attract attention, even before you fire your first round.

#20 ·
BigMac; Mine came with a manual, and 150 links. There was no headspace gauge, but if you read some of the posts concerning headspace, most of the guys on this site dislike the headspace gauge, and use the old tried and true (and a lot quicker) WWII "run it in, click it out" method. See the instructions on the home page.

#21 ·
Tom;

I'm just Breaking James' balls. I bought an earlyer gun for quite a bit more than he's got them on sale for and still haven't gotten my manual or headspace guage.

Since he has PMed me a couple times and after calling several times with no stuff showing up as promised. Now I take all oppertuneties to break his balls a little. Don't get me wrong, I could care less if I ever see either thing, the manual or guage. It's exactly like one of my buddies dropped the ball on me for some small thing I could care less about.. just a good oppertunety to break balls :D

Thanks for your concern I have the headspace with live rounds down.

James has pretty thick skin and his guns work pretty damn good.

#22 ·
My balls have been broken! I'm going to have to kill my desk jockey for never sending out the guage and manual. It looks like I'll have to take matters into my own hands.

MP-38/40
WECSOGer Send that gun back, and we'll exchange it out with a hand picked one, then you'll never have to worry about it. ;)

#23 ·
Hey, James

My gf bought me 1919a4 from u guys , but she hasn't got a call from Jason so she can give him her CC# to him. And yes, she call the shop and also e-mail him, but he always ask her to call the shop. I don't mind waiting for the weapon, just want to get the payment out of the way.

#26 ·
many of us did not get the head spacing gauge with our guns. i noticed several people posting they did not get it. i just assumed they ran out of them and we were not going to get it. i did not even ask.
i was happy just to finally get the 1919a4's from them. i have several (3) of the AA 1919a4's and i like the fit and finish very much on them.
i am going to try to shoot them next week..:D. i have to belt up some ammo for them first.

capt ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.