1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got in a wood ammo box that was supposed to be a for the 1917 browning. It is same size other than 2 1/2 inches longer and does not have the clipped corner. Made the same way other than the brass hinge is not inlaid nor the full width of the box. Has same inlaid handle setup as the 17 but on the end that opens it does have a large round knob about halfway down on the end. Looks like a heavy drawer pull. Nice box with all brass hardware and only missing leather handle. One guy told me it was some type of aircraft box but it seems a little heavy for that and another thought the knob latched on a Cold Digger setup. I got some pictures coming via e-mail tonight, never posted one on here yet so not sure if I can figure it out:rolleyes: . If this sounds like something one of you know please help me out. Thanks, Hotchkiss

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Does it have the two vertical slots cut on one end to mount on the tripod? I've seen some really nice wood boxes that look very similar to the '17 boxes, but didn't have the slots cut.

The third sticky thread on the semi build forum is a guide on how to post photos in case you want to refer there. Like to see the pics of that box.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lobo, I started uplaoding the photos to the host you recomended but see as slow as my connection is it will take all afternoon. I plan on having a couple pics on tonight and one showing it next to a normal 1917 box. Thanks, Hotchkiss

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the ones without the clipped corner were generally for the US Vickers guns....at least this is what I read....

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The large box on the bottom is what I am wanting to know about, I am comparing it to a
normal 1917.
This is looking do
wn from the top
This is the big knob
on the end
Another view of the side of the knob

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Yep, no grooves to mount it to the tripod so it must be a ground ammo box. It's cool how they did the dovetail work and lid furniture similar to the '17 box.

That knob is different.

When you open the lid and look at the bottom on the inside are their stencils of ammo painted on the bottom like the '17 so the loaders know which way to load the belts into the box?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I would think that the knob is for hanging on a tripod since it looks to be made out of metal (they didn't just add stuff for no reason).
Maybe it is for an early maxim mg like a MG08 or possibly an early design of a 1917 ammo box (based mainly on the construction of the box and the design of the hardware compaired to the more common ones)?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Lobo, it has the three black outlines like your 17 but it was never painted in the inside- just dirty natural oak. I got a brush and cleaned the inside out and its pretty nondescript other than in the upper corner where the lid does not open clear to the far side, there is marks of what appeared to have been a small shelf or bracket back there. Nothing remains other than small finnish nails bent over. I assume this was done when the box was built because nailing into oak inside the box walls would be rather difficult. Also there is a number 3 painted on both ends of the outside of the box. I first thought maybe it went in a gun cart rack and had some specail purpose needing a number. Other than the leather handle being gone it is in supper shape, I sure hope we can figure this out. Thanks everyone. Hotchkiss

1 - 8 of 8 Posts