1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Years ago I worked for the US Army Natick Labs. There was a standard protocol for torture testing packaged food, uniforms and equipment. (We tested no ammo). The conditions were 100, 80, and 50 degrees F at 95%, 50% and 30% relative humidity. Canned peaches at 100 degrees and high humidity looked brown after six months. I took interest in this since after testing the stuff got dumped and I was a bachelor with two roommates. Since the stuff was of no more use, I could take it home. I had the benefit of test data so I avoided the high temp stuff.

Texas temperatures are extreme but in any state south of the Mason-Dixon line, hotbox garage temps can spike into powder degradation range. Keeping ammo in a basement is a good choice. Can you throw away stuff like furniture to make space??

Come to think of it I have a few thousand rounds of 60 year old 8mm Yugo out in the garage in cans. I's better start belting the stuff and use it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.