1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew a top cover today while using my Ammunition Store 8mm barrel at the range. It was the first time out with that barrel and I guess the headspace was insufficient, and one of the cases ruptured just above the extractor groove. The gun ran slugguishly for a few rounds and then BOOM, the top cover blew. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know if the barrel doesnt have the chamber cut deep enough or if it was just an out of battery fire... hopefully the latter. Has anyone else had this problem? It was a KMP trigger and sear just in case it makes a difference.
Thanks for your help

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I've never had a problem with AS barrels - and Lobo and I have been preaching HEADSPACE for better than a year now. Just to many new shooters and builders to get the word out I guess. :(

Glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Headspace

We are seeing more and more of these headspacing related accidents. Before you fire your new gun make sure you fully understand the correct procedure.
If you are not sure get someone in the know to check out the gun in totallity.
1919's are much more complicated that your hunting rifle and require a proper understanding as to what makes them run correctly. It is begining to look like some shooters are putting the cart before the horse. If you dont understand get help from someone that does.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
We have fired thousands of rounds with crankfires out of AS 8mm barrels with no problems. Make sure you do not mix different manufacturers ammo. If it fired sluggish you should have open the headspace slightly. I ussually fire one round at a time(we even look at the ejected brass for problems) in the beginning to check for proper operation and adjust headspace accordingly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It had it 1 click past lockup, and it did run fine for about 50-70 rounds till it got hot. i certainly learned a lesson: to STOP when it gets sluggish. I have shot the gun alot and knew the headspace procedure, but was not as aware of the consequences of insufficient headspace as I was of excessive headspace. This is the one, and hopefully only incident that I will ever have. It didn't hurt me, or even the gun very much for that matter-thank goodness. THe top cover was just a tad bent, but it straightened out fine and is ready for the next trip to the range. I appreciate your advice and your responses.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I shot 1200 rnds. full auto out of a AS barrel last weekend with no problems. Mine works fine with no problems. Used Romanian 8mm.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think whats happening on some of the head spacing issues is that the operator sets the head space according to SOP, and after firring X number of rounds the spring lets the barrel rotate out of adjustment. Make sure you have a good barrel latch spring!!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
What I do after I headspace, is place a drop of fingernail polish on the barrel adn extension so I KNOW where it was headspaced. After I begin firing, and the gun does not seem to run right, I may make a 1 click change, but I KNOW where it was originally set with the fingernail polish. If I do leave any change, I remove the polish and make another mark with the new setting. This way, I can open the cover, pull the charging handle back and SEE if it has moved. Honestly, I have never had a barrel move from position. I follow Lobo's Tutorial and it has ALWAYS worked perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts