1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let’s say hypothetically someone had legally purchased a full auto Thompson many years ago when it was still legal to do so. And let’s say that person was basically living under a rock until a year ago when they crawled out and discovered that they should have registered this item some years back but did not know to do so as they were out of touch being under the rock. So now that they realize that they need to register this is it too late? Is there anything that can be done?

· Registered
51 Posts
Sure this is what can be done... they can destroy the gun, turn it in or make it inoperable. In other words, they would have to make it into a parts kit or hand it over. End of story, unless the ATF decides someday that they will allow another ammnesty program so they could register it. Don't hold your breath on that one, last time they did so was 1968!

11,869 Posts
well if they legally purchased it before 86, but after 34 shouldn't it already by registered? if it was a bringback and there is documentation to show that it was here before 68 there is a way around it isn't there?

· Registered
2,142 Posts
Let's take this matter to the senators and legislators!

They're trying to give amnesty to 20 million boarder hoppers, so maybe we can get amnesty to a few million full-autos too!

· Registered
51 Posts
Let's take this matter to the senators and legislators!

They're trying to give amnesty to 20 million boarder hoppers, so maybe we can get amnesty to a few million full-autos too!

If it were that easy we would be in great luck. Funny how when you put the word alien after illegal it's ok with all these jerks in DC (and elsewhere) but put the word gun after illegal and they all go beserk!

· Registered
3,034 Posts
John,

When in doubt, "get rid" of the receiver itself, until the firearm's legality can be determined you DO NOT want that receiver anywhere near you.

IF it's a war "bring back", and that vet had DOD paperwork for the gun, there "might" be way to register it. Problem is, it's changed hands, therefore contraband.

If NOT a bring back, and present owner didn't go through Form 4, it's contraband. Always check for paperwork, and hope current owner has it.

I'm hoping you made an error in describing it, the way you described sounds like an illegal MG, I pray it's not.

Most would strip it (completely down) and get rid of receiver, torch that baby in 3 diagonal pieces (1/4" cuts) or turn it into ATF. Sell the parts kit or use dummy receiver to construct display gun, either might go for as much as a current semi-auto clone. ;)

P.S. If contraband the suggestion posted above is correct, in order to keep it intact and legal, it WOULD have to go to law enforcement agency (Form 10 -forever!) or govt-sponsored museum. If going to museum, at least people could look at it for generations. If going to PD, when they don't want it anymore, it's chucked into ATF smelter. :(

· Registered
2,142 Posts
The U.S. Constitution clearly states that there's not such a thing as an illegal gun. :rolleyes:

· Registered
3,274 Posts
Its OK Amigos , I am having my 1927 Thompson ,owned by none other than Pancho Villa , and i am an illegal alien.
And with the Election of El Presidentie McCain ,We will all be Countrymen !!
EEEEh Hoolay ! show me the Cantinas !! I am your friend.
Oh ,Pancho was Dead in 1927 ,Oh well ,I didn't know that.
I only geve the little gun to Paco ,He say he iz shooting the rabbits.
So when we have the open border ,does that mean we no longer can have the gun battles like we do in Nogalis ?
We already get the free Medical in Columbus NM, We don't need no stinking Hospitals ,we get all our care from the Americans at the Border.
And they clean up our trash , And put our Ninos through school.
I like the Americans ,they are my friend , And their daughters and sons are impressed by our Macho young ones.
Oh ,pay no attention to the ones who kill the old woman ,they were only very young looking for a place in America ,and that Police officer was not following the rules we had in Mexico.
Do not be afraid my Amigos ,soon we will all be one nation ,and my people wish to settle in a town near you.
And our Politicians will be elected like McCain ,then you will be at peace with all of your Amigos working like we do.
Ef i am wrong ,why dont you Amigos in the North come lev here ,you seem to know ,and you think Senoir Phalanx is a racest.
Senoir Phalanx has lots of Hispanic friends ,but tey are not likeing Mexico ,They are traders calling themselves Americans.
But most of you live in territorys that belong to Mexico !!!
And weth your help we will take them back ,and these so called Hispanic American traders will pay.

· Registered
3,274 Posts
Dan i thought that also in Houston ,but in Alaska and here in Southern NM these kids work their asses off ,save their money ,just so they can buy their first pistol ,usually a Kimber.
In fact they are angry because they feel they will never know the freedom we did.
Walk into a Hardware store ,buy a lawn mower ,flowers ,a new hammer ,and an H&K 91 for only $560.00 bucks and put it all on a 90 day.

· Registered
272 Posts
This situation has made me think of all sorts of questions. If someone were to find such a weapon under a rock, would there be a legal way to convert it into a semi auto, such as if you cut the receiver , then re-welded it and made the necessary changes to semi auto? Werent many early de-mils just done with a band saw cut? Who is to say this isnt an early demil kit that has been rewelded? I am not advocating breaking the law, and am just putting this out there as a hypothetical situation.

11,869 Posts
UD the early band saw would have had to be demilled while the cut was till the accepted method. in 2008 a torch is the only method.

so you have a real nice parts kit with destroyed receiver. there is not much room for fuzy logic. it is destroy or donate to the furnace...

wonder if you donated it to a museum what tax credit you woudl get. the current price of a transferrable or the price of a semi?

r

· Registered
2,700 Posts
And... if it already papered, it ain't gonna be. Think forfeiture.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.