1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You owners of M35A2's, preferably the multifuel diesel ones, I'd like to ask what might be an odd kind of question.

What kind of fuel economy do you get and using which kind of fuel. I might snag one of the ones on GovLiquidation and I've read up on everything but haven't really found anything relating to fuel economy. I'm not dumb enough to think it would be anything impressive but as a potential buyer I'd like to know just to know.

I'm also interested in getting one of the tow trucks as well :)

Oops! Need to add this as well.

Also what kind of trouble are you guys running into with titling and registration? I see no SF97's are usually issued.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!:) I guess no one makes supersize locking hubs for these:D !

I assume you own one Ouchman, did you have any trouble titling yours?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Maybe its just early in the am, but if you remove the rear drive shaft and the front drive shaft, there is no fuel economy cause you cant go anywhere.
Or am I missing something??

·
Registered
47 Posts
there are 3 differentials, hence the term 6x6. You remove the drive shaft between the 2 rear diffs. Mileage varies greatly depending on climate, load and driver. Figure 4 to 7 mpg.

Although it's not recommended, but we do it anyway, running 60psi in the front tires gives you semi power steering.

There's been a lot of chatter on the internet about bio-fuel. It's almost free and people are getting good results although you seem to stay hungry while driving:D

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
M35a1....

My 1970 Kaiser 465cu. Hercules multi-fuel gets 8mpg on heating oil.....w/o screwing around with anything. Diesel about the same. Have run gas,87 oct. regular,with less than 15 gal. diesel mix (in 40 gal. tank) and ran smoother than w/diesel alone. Don't suggest a steady diet of this but it works in a pinch and cleaned the injectors a little. Good ideas will come from owners and former G.I.'s who drove one a lot. Like the 60psi. tire pressure....good idea. Friend of mine just ran a 650 mi. trip on cooking oil in his Dodge Ram duelly w/o any ill effects. Might try it myself.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry I won't be of much help, I have never cared enough about mileage to find out. I just put fuel in when it needs it. But then I don't drive it on a daily basis. Mine came with a title, so I'm not sure how to deal with that. Probably varies from state to state.

·
Registered
146 Posts
EZ.
You may (if you haven't already) check out the following alternate fuels forum. I'd imagine you could search something there, or in the duece forum.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=99

I don't get to drive my M much lately, but many times I have people ask "what does it get for mileage?".
To be quite honest, I don't know. I really don't care.
For the 500 miles or so I drive each year, the experience is worth more than the fuel.
It's good to know your concerned about mileage. It sounds like you plan on doing a bit of driving.

One post you should read about GL before bidding.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5834
There, (page 2) you will find a copy of a letter I submitted a while back.
It basically gives a breif summery of my experience with GL and some of the things to watch out for.
GL isn't getting high marks from the MV community.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn you guys are great!:)
Katzbalger, thanks for the info!

So let me ask this, if going through GL isn't the best of ideas then is there a way for one to register to bid on items directly through the DRMS?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not that I'm aware of.
GL and http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/ are the two I frequent.

I didn't intend to scare you away from GL.
I simply wanted you to be prepared for the worst.
Read their terms and conditions. It's all one way.
And if you do something like... fail to inspect the item in person before placing a bid, you assume all responsibility.
And if you... say... don't (or can not) remove the item within the prescribed time frame. BAM! You forfit everything!
The other topic more concerning is the fact that GL doesn't issue SF97's.
I live in a state that doesn't require one for "old" trucks. Lucky I guess.
You may want to check this out with your RMV.

Many guys say we're fortunate to still be able to buy from the DRMS. Some complain about the way it's conducted.
I say, It isn't going to get any better.

If you think your going to get in that truck and drive it home, you may be disappointed.
Try making a friend near you that also has experience with these trucks. (Or a REALLY big trailer.) Two tool boxes are always better than one!

Also try http://www.g503.com/forums/.
My advice is that you look around for something private.
At least that way, you have someone to talk with, who may know something.
Possibly a title! At the very least, you may have a chance to get your money back if something doesn't go right.
(Your not going to get that with GL.)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
EZ,
I've got the 1983 M35A2 with the ring mount that was doing Ed Haywoods, 50M3 demo's at Cheyenne Wells this spring. It give one great wood to see how much a 50BMG at 1100-1200 rounds a minute pushes the cab of a #13500lb truck sideways on a long burst.....grin!!! 7-8mpg on Diesel....6+ mpg on various combo's of Gasoline. When we go up to Leadville to Camp Hale in Feb for the Operation Blizzard weekends with the Veterans of the 10th Mountain Division, we,re at 9-10 thousand feet and 10-15 below zero. This is the only time I intentionally add gas to the diesel...just for easier starting in Subzero temps. Sometimes its so cold we do the Panzer Tank exercises of starting them every hour for 15 minutes just to keep things warm. Most serious drivers will do a simple bypass modification to the injector pump plumbing. Basically your bypassing the viscosity sensor section and from then on you only run diesel (or small percentages of gas added for starting ease.) Diesel has the most BTU's so the more of it you run the more power and better economy....although economy is a word seldom used when playing with these trucks. You joked about noboby making monster size hub lockers.....oh contrare my friend......There are "Three" different models of hub lockers you can chose from. They're priced around $500-600 a pair.....and if your rich you can install a pair on your rear axle as well. For city and highway driving the set up is Hub locks on the front and remove the drive shaft between the two rear axles.....at least if you high center...you can lock the front. These companies also offer power steering kits.....although real men don't need them...cough cough.
Adios
TiredIron

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Tired is correct about locking hubs they are out there. We got power steering on the five ton and will be installing road tires on the front axle soon.Next will be an overdrive trans. That should help a lot. Retiming will be necessary to run straight gas, it is not recommended you try to do this.
Our driver drove these trucks in country when he was based in Qui Nhon and still loves driving them!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yall are awsome and thanks so much for all of your input my fellow bro's!

I'm thinking of getting one of these to go with the rest of my toys, specifically one of the wrecker.

Just so you know, I am bidder #77282129
I usually only bid for items in LA or the surrounding states Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi. Email me if I'm bidding against one of you.

I'm new to GL and recently won an ammunition trailer and some sleeping bags for little to nothing from Fort Polk, LA here and I can see I'll be doing lots more bidding!

Please keep my bidder number handy or around you when you guys start to bid just in case I might be the one you're bidding against. I'll gladly back off to help you win your auction or get it at a lower price with me out of your hair.
I think if we all did this we might find that often times we drive one anothers cost up and that's just stupid if we can prevent it a little.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My MPG

I get around 10 mpg on normal diesel in my '70 M35A2 with LDT465-D motor. I run 11.00x20 tires at 60-65PSI and with lock outs {Yes they do make them, see M35Products.com} on the front. By having lock outs, all of the gears in the front axle doesn't drag, I can tell when I forget to disnegage the lock outs. With the bigger tires with the higher air pressure and the lock outs on the front it almost drives like it has power steering and it will cruise down the highway at 60 MPH with out struggle. If you haul anything with any weight you will notice the added weight cap of the tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts