1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Almighty has blessed me with three children. I have a 9 year old boy, a 7 year old girl, and a 3 year old girl. I try to impart some knowledge into my kids as opportunities present themselves.

Yesterday, I figured I would introduce the two oldest ones to a little bit of welding.

This is my daughter Katie. She is 7. For those that know the story, this is the one that was born with the multitude of internal birth defects. Seven years ago today I was still holding her little hand in the Duke Med NICU hoping she'd live just one more day. She's a trooper. Yesterday I held her hand to help calm her fears about the sparks. Once she discovered it didn't hurt, she let the sparks fly!

This is my oldest Michael. He is 9. Stubborn, strong willed, but tenderhearted and caring. Smart as a whip. This was his first time ever welding, and the bead shown was about his third or fourth try, He missed the seam, but the bead was not bad. Now when we are in the shop, he always wants to weld. He's going to cost me a fortune in gas and wire. So be it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Good on ya. Time spent teaching your children will yield huge dividends in the future.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
For 7 & 9 -- GREAT! For you? UNFORGETTABLE!

Carry On!
Gary
><> (swimming in the right direction :alright:)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Absolutely PRICELESS pictures!!!!

Those should be blown up and framed!

Good for you teaching them young, they will appreciate it later in life.

Blessings to you and your family.

Oh, P.S. get some gloves on the kids.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Can I come over so your kids can teach me how to weld?

That is awesome, I am jealous. I can't believe how impossible it is to get welding instruction.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Awesome, and good for you! Keep up the good work with these kiddos. They, and you, will be better for it in the long run. :lol:

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Well done...!!!

You are a good parent. +1 on having then wear protective gloves...small sizes are available on ebay. Every American should be able to change a vehicles oil,operate a drill press,cook a 5-course dinner,know CPR,first aid,birth a child,set a broken bone,shoot several types of firearms,reload ammo,weld with stick,gas,mig,tig,work with wood,operate a chain saw...AND drive a stick shift. Your kids are off to a good start...LOL....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I would have put gloves on them if I had a pair small enough. But then again I don't weld with gloves on. Never have. I like to feel what I'm doing.
I tell my students that welding is something that you can learn in a minute, but it takes a lifetime to master. Now my goal is for Michael to be the youngest certified welder in NC!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
my dad's been welding for close to 40 years now.

His last 'test' he placed top 3 in the state. ( sure as hell didn't get his brains, I got the savage side from somewhere) He is an unlimited box of knowledge on all things metal if I have a question.

Im semi -ok.. best i can do is torched MG receivers. MY actual first venture into welding was making a semi bren with a harbor freight $90 box . I've learned lots since then. clean ,clean, clean ,and clean again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You are a good parent. +1 on having then wear protective gloves...small sizes are available on ebay. Every American should be able to change a vehicles oil,operate a drill press,cook a 5-course dinner,know CPR,first aid,birth a child,set a broken bone,shoot several types of firearms,reload ammo,weld with stick,gas,mig,tig,work with wood,operate a chain saw...AND drive a stick shift. Your kids are off to a good start...LOL....
I agree, although I have not set a broken bone... does pulling your thumb nail off with vise grips count??? LOL that's another story.

Excellent to see you working with the kids.. My wife and I adopted 2 more today to our family! 9 and 11 yrs

Steamer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts