1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what the nominal thickness is--
Has anyone measured the thickness of their 1919 trunnion at its thinnest area(metal between barrel hole and feed surface)---I have an excellent condition one that measures 20 to 23 thousandths with a caliper which seems somewhat on the thin side-

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Most of them look really thin, but you won't wear it thru in your lifetime :).

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Here we go again :)

Has anyone ever produced a picture of a trunnion COMPLETELY worn thru from shooting links? I have my own that have small wear marks and cracks, but I went back to belts now. Has anyone deliberatly kept on shooting links with an unprotected trunnion to see if it will wear through all the way?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Trunnion Wear

Even if the Trunnion did wear thru, the barrel shank is there and the gun should keep running. I run belts 98% of the time so I will probably never see this problem.

If my memory serves me correctly, I seem to remember someone a couple of years ago had a photo of his Trunnion with an apprx. 1/8" wide groove cut and you could just see the barrel shank. I think the gun still ran fine.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I remember seeing that pic - I just never heard anymore on it. Guns should run anyhow, but they gotta look nasty with the groove worn through the trunnion all the way :) I'd just like to see a pic of one like that.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Here we go again :)

Has anyone ever produced a picture of a trunnion COMPLETELY worn thru from shooting links? I have my own that have small wear marks and cracks, but I went back to belts now. Has anyone deliberatly kept on shooting links with an unprotected trunnion to see if it will wear through all the way?

I have 2 that are worn clear through with a chunk missing...1/4" x 3/8" perhaps a bit smaller...and 2 others that are thin and dished in the same area. These were early Izzy kits. Marks are obviously from the links.
I'll get some pics on my next trip to the shop. Best repair option for this??

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I have 2 that are worn clear through with a chunk missing...1/4" x 3/8" perhaps a bit smaller...and 2 others that are thin and dished in the same area. These were early Izzy kits. Marks are obviously from the links.
Wow, I think this resurrected thread might be a record 2006 the date for the original posting! Sorry don't mean to be too much of a breaker.:)

As for repairing I think Jeff at Ironcreations has had some luck with this, also he was experimenting with another repair so maybe he will chime in. I know a few people have made repairs to these.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Use a TIG and weld up the worn area, grind smooth.

Karl

·
Registered
910 Posts
Use a TIG and weld up the worn area, grind smooth.

Karl
thats pretty much it, but I use a tight fitting mandrel. on some I have made a replacement top section and welded it on. Those I started with a pc of 1/4" 4140 plate, mill out the round part and weld it along the sides so you cant see the welds. So far I havent had one thats not repairable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts