1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aquired a 1943 military machete from an estate of a wwii marine vet. aparently carried it through the remainder of the pacific with him, and brought home. used it for yard work for years after, but the blade snapped just under the handle. he tried fixing with duct tape, and some sort of putty that didnt work, so he just left it in his garage. id like to repair it, and make it solid again, as the thing is in overall great shape. the handle rivets would need to be removed, and blade tig welded back together, ground down, and handles reattached.. So looking for anyone who can help with this project, as it cost me literally nothing to take it.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
You gave an exact description of what needs to be done. Who not take care of it yourself? The toughest part would be coming up with brass rivets. Might have to make your own from brass rod. The welding could be done by a local shop with instructions to leave the cleanup to you - if you are not a welder yourself.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Michael Williamson (I think) pops in from time to time. He restored a knife for me a while back. I need to hit him up to autograph a book for me as well...

I also know a guy with a tig welder, he does favors from time to time.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Unfortunately my only handy skills involve electrical, computers, and embalming. ..
Kinda makes you sound like a mad scientist. :rofl:
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Matt send me a picture of the handle and rivets the rest is easy you will just have to come up for a longer weekend if you keep adding to the list which just means we will have to send the girls out shopping more :tongue:

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
machete

He must have gotten real rough with somehow! I didn't think it was possible to actually break one of these things,I have one outside that I use to cut up fruit and weeds for the chickens,been outside for 20 years and still takes an edge with a few swipes of a stone and the green horn handles are still in good shape,I have a very nice one in the collection so I wasn't too worried about this one. Good luck on the rebuild.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Embalmer, I had sent you a PM?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts