1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I was wondering if there were any experienced full auto guys in Middle Tennessee. I have a a recently acquired 1919A4 that has been out of jail for a few months now but I haven't taken it out to the range yet.

I can disassemble it and reassemble it. I understand and know how to set the headspace and timing. I have read the various US GI manuals and the Dolf books, Hard Rain and more. And I am experienced with fire arms in general. I have not had any luck getting the 1918 belt loader to work yet but I'll keep trying.

So I think I have a good handle on the 1919 but I would love to have someone with a lot of practical experience join me the first time out. Better safe than sorry and it would be nice to have the tips and tricks someone has gained by experience.

I have an M2 tripod as well as a Jeep mount to shoot standing up. I have amassed spares or actually multiple spares of just about every part that might break or be damaged.

I do have a linker and many many thousands of links but I really want to use belts. So I need to keep working on trying to get the 1918 to run but as soon as I get belts loaded I am ready to head out.

So if anyone with a lot of time on a 1919 who might be willing to join a newbie on the range to help with my first time out I would be eternally grateful.

Scott

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Several good videos on Youtube regarding the use of the belt loader.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have watched those videos but they are not that detailed. I have the needles set correctly and I have a .308 pusher (2 actually, an OOW and Len's as well as the original 30-06) but I just haven't been able to get it to run at all. And not just one problem. Several different things going wrong.

Scott

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
help needed

Where are you in Middle Tennessee? When you have 2 more post PM me and I will try to assist you any way I can. I am in Middle TN.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently moved from Nashville near downtown to rural Williamson County. I am a member at Strategic Edge in Chapel Hill which allows full auto.

Scott

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Needing Help

Scott, pm me when you can and I will arrange for you to visit Tullahoma and will help you get some belts loaded. I have the opinion that the Browning loaders have mind of their own so don't feel bad about having problems. Ed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you Ed! That's great. I have thought that maybe another set of eyes that have used a loader might point out something I'm missing.

Another thing I want to try is switching to Len's .308 pusher. The one that's in there came with the loader and is probably either the OOW one or the Sarco which I have heard is not so good. I am using Len's feed chute adapter but one of the problems I'm having is the cartridges are skewing and even jamming as they drop out of the chute and start getting pushed forward. And once they jam the crank won't turn. So then I have to pull the cartridge out from the front. So maybe the other .308 pusher will help with that. But that's only one of the things going awry. But solving one problem would at least allow me to concentrate on the next one.

Scott

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
help needed

PM me your phone # and I will give you a call and we will go from there. Advise a good time to call as I am retired and can call anytime. By the way are you trying to load new belts or used belts. That can make a difference. Ed

·
Registered
312 Posts
Belt Loader

I started loading belts maybe 5 years ago and I have finger tips that are still bleeding. Sometimes I think it is the loader then it turns out to be the belts themselves. Bought a belt from Sarco a couple months ago just to see it. Sure enough it was so flimsy. Threw it away. I prep all new belts to open up the pockets before I run them through the loader. Saves a lot of grief. Also helps loosen up 30-06 belts for .308.
Trade secret for new belts. Spray both sides with spray starch then stuff the pockets with 7.62x39 rounds and let them dry over night. Bingo the pockets are opened up.
Good luck Would like to see the smile on your face when you load your first belt without an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts