1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for me to venture into the land of the FAL. I have a kit ordered and a receiver. Just need a decent barrel but there's one on GB. Who's put one together?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I built one or two back in the heyday of FAL kits. (1999-2000-ish). It was a simple build. As long as your bbl times up correctly, its no harder than a AR. Thers a heavy emphasis on head spacing correctly, but with a new receiver and a good bbl you should be fine. The locking shoulder controls headspace, so if yours is beat up you may have an issue. They are GREAT guns and I feel they are the best MBR of the post WWII-Cold War era. (M14's are a little more accurate but FAL's are much easier to carry and load.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have made a few. What do you need to know?
What kit did you get? What receiver did you get?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The FAL is the only gun I really wished Id bought more of back in the day. As Ive grown old, Ive watched AK's come and go, M1A's steadily increase an AR's roller coaster. I still swoon over FALS and wish someone had a few parts kits and receivers to sell now that Im a little more fincially stable than i was 20 years ago. (I know kits are currently available, but they all look so beat up.)

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Fal has the cool factor + it feels really good in hand...Mine runs great but the short barrel makes it less accurate then all my other 308 battle rifles.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have made a few. What do you need to know?
What kit did you get? What receiver did you get?
I actually now have two kits on there way. An Israeli light barrel and an Imbel. I have one DSA receiver also. The Israeli kit needs a barrel.

·
Premium Member
5,571 Posts
They are great shooter and I love the adjustable gas system. I have five of them and my only regret with them is not having more time to enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've built a couple dozen back in the day.

The kid and I went together on 20 Israeli FAL kits that Palmeto recently had on sale. He is machining the receiver from 4140 billet and the barrel from GM blank. My job will be assembly and part repair.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
A short summary of FAL kits available today:

PSA, DSA, and Apex sold many Israeli light barrel kits in the last couple years. Previously, these were very rare, and just a set of handguards commanded $180 or so. The recent import/ sale kits (now all out of stock) were rode pretty hard. Expect missing and broken parts, many of which can be expensive since these kits are (1) of an early configuration and (2) of Israeli-specific parts. I have two kits I can sell that have been completely disassembled, de-cosmolined, all broken parts replaced. $650 shipped to 1919a4 members, or watch GB where I'll sell them for $669 plus shipping.

You can't go wrong with a Brazilian IMBEL kit, inclusive of original barrel. These were carried a lot, and fired very little. So the exterior may show lots of wear (particularly the barrel) but are in fact the best overall route to go. Add a correct IMBEL receiver from PARS and you're into one for just over $1000.

The cream of the shooting crop is the Austrian StG58 with original Steyr hammer forged barrel. Expect to pay $1200 for a near-new matching numbers kit- worth every cent.

The German G1, Rhodesian R1, and various others are typically well beat, and primarily collector's items.

An early form is that made by FN for German BGS in 1950s. Prior to circa 2008 these were unobtainium, and the lower receiver alone would command $650 and the early Type A stock would go for $350. Apex sold hundreds of these kits back then, delighting FAL collectors with a price of $365. None of these have an original barrel, so it has to be fabricated from another FAL barrel. Decent kits, minus barrel, sell for $1200 so I'm surprised that Apex still has three in stock at $899 WITH THE TYPE A STOCK!!! BGS FAL Parts Kit with Type A Wood Stock, Non-matching 7.62X51, *Good*

The inch version developed by the Commonwealth is the L1A1. Complete, good condition British kits with barrel can be had for about $650. These are stunning rifles, and arguably "product improved" over the FN metric version(s). Correct receivers though are hard to find and start at $750.

Gunbroker is typically not a very good place to buy FAL kits. The best deals- if you move fast- are on FAL FILES. Just like 1919s and 1928s on this forum. That said, you know how GB is, so if you're very patient (like, maybe 2 years patient, and lose 40 auctions) you will inexplicably steal one.

DSA has receivers, according to their website. Specialty receivers for specific variants are available on-and-off, and they sell out almost immediately.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ya got to be a files member to see that offer. GREAT deal, comes with the receiver.

Odd that it is not already built, not a big job once you have all the parts. Coonan did ship some poor quality receivers B4 going out of business. Possibly the issue here.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
My first build after the requisite AR was a StG58 built on a Type-3 IMBEL upper. Surprisingly, the zinc phosphate finishes match. I couldn't bring myself to stoop to put those beautiful Steyr parts on one of the cast receivers available at the time, but didn't have the coin for the correct Type-1 from DSA.

You'll need a Receiver Block to securely hold it in a LARGE vice (I made one), and an odd size wrench to torque the barrel. One can be made from a slightly smaller wrench with a grinder. Using high quality parts pays off - mine torqued and timed correctly. Head space is set with interchangeable Locking shoulders. Thankfully mine was in spec. For a while someone on FAL Files kept a stock of the various sizes, and swapped them out for a nominal fee. I don't know if anyone is still doing that. Those are the only oddities.

They are truly wonderful rifles. But I need to buy one of the DSA scope mounts because my eyes just don't do iron sights anymore. MSG

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
My first build after the requisite AR was a StG58 <snip> didn't have the coin for the correct Type-1 from DSA.
Steyr also made a Type III that was used on the StG58. So your rifle is correct. Feel better? The Type III was introduced in 1973, so it was probably used by Steyr as a replacement for damaged receivers- but they did make them, and they did use them.

See The FN FAL Primer, pages 46 & 47 for info on the Steyr StG58 rifle and photo of the Steyr Type III receiver.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If you do not already have Abominog's book " The FN FAL Primer " it is a must have for anybody interested in the FAL

Greg

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If you do not already have Abominog's book " The FN FAL Primer " it is a must have for anybody interested in the FAL

Greg
Well thank you GBYENKO!

My FAL book may be found here: FS: Reference Books & Weld Fixtures direct from...

My book is primarily for the collector, showing different configurations by country and over time, and comparison of parts and accessories. It contains basic elements, such as the differences in the major receiver (Type I, II, III) variations as well as more advanced minutiae.

For those really interested in assembling and proofing the FAL (and not so much the collecting aspect), the best resource is from ARS: Store | Arizona Response Systems

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
Steyr also made a Type III that was used on the StG58. So your rifle is correct. Feel better? The Type III was introduced in 1973, so it was probably used by Steyr as a replacement for damaged receivers- but they did make them, and they did use them.

See The FN FAL Primer, pages 46 & 47 for info on the Steyr StG58 rifle and photo of the Steyr Type III receiver.
Sweet. Thankfully the IMBEL upper does not have the gear logo.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Well thank you GBYENKO!

My FAL book may be found here: FS: Reference Books & Weld Fixtures direct from...

My book is primarily for the collector, showing different configurations by country and over time, and comparison of parts and accessories. It contains basic elements, such as the differences in the major receiver (Type I, II, III) variations as well as more advanced minutiae.

For those really interested in assembling and proofing the FAL (and not so much the collecting aspect), the best resource is from ARS: Store | Arizona Response Systems
I'll put in a plug for both your book and Gunplumber. If you into FAL even as a casual FAL "accumulator", you need "The FN FAL Primer" to know what you have or want. Although it seems simple, putting an FAL together correctly takes tools, knowledge, and experience. Especially with some of the crappy receivers out there. Gunplumber (ARS) has the tooling and experience to do it right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts