1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have the 5210N. Same design, smaller size.

I know the engine over temp sensor does exactly this. But, my guess is several other inputs will do the same thing.

I've got five tractors. Do my own maintenance on four. This one has to go in and pay big $ to JD. I can tell you not to break the windshield wiper on the front window. Cost $650 labor, $110 for the part. My trouble has been fuel injectors, on number four. $1K+ each time.

Karl

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unfortunately I can't help, but I'm curios if you guys have seen this:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

According to the article, JD is trying to say that we don't own our tractors, rather it is a "lifetime lease" and because they are computerized, working on them may be breaking the laws of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act... As someone who fixes everything I can myself, I find this infuriating...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sucks because we have 2+2's, JD articulating tractors which you can fix at home. We can't afford not to do our own repairs. Most of the dealers want YOU to train their people on your tractor at your expense.

Ya I have seen that in fact we were talking about it with the dealer. We have pulled an engine and replaced it with a Cummings engine on one of our tractors and it works just fine. A fix for now. I think you will see a revolt if it does go that way. :mad: We can build our own tractors and have.

Tractor stoppage doesn't effect the engine at all on this one. I'm told it is in the transmission wiring. They even put an internal wiring harness inside the trans so you have to split the tractor to fix that one. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/0/105-john-deere-7810.html
IVT transmission "The IVT became available in 2003, the final year of production." ( this is not true as ours is a 2001)
Steamer

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
It sucks because we have 2+2's, JD articulating tractors which you can fix at home. We can't afford not to do our own repairs. Most of the dealers want YOU to train their people on your tractor at your expense.

Ya I have seen that in fact we were talking about it with the dealer. We have pulled an engine and replaced it with a Cummings engine on one of our tractors and it works just fine. A fix for now. I think you will see a revolt if it does go that way. :mad: We can build our own tractors and have.

Tractor stoppage doesn't effect the engine at all on this one. I'm told it is in the transmission wiring. They even put an internal wiring harness inside the trans so you have to split the tractor to fix that one. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/0/105-john-deere-7810.html
IVT transmission "The IVT became available in 2003, the final year of production." ( this is not true as ours is a 2001)
Steamer
The ASZoles that came up with that need to have Their cases split.

I only just learned my work van has a thingy called a crank sensor. It won't start if it's busted. Only $260 to replace. WTF is it's actual PURPOSE??
It also has an ignition coil for each individual spark plug. Only about $60 for new part. Did that myself.
That inventor should be flayed. NO reason for that but to drive folks to a shop to throw away good money.

I studied hard for two and a half days on how to rebuild the differential. Factored in my dyslexia and the probable need for TWO sets of rebuild parts kits after my inevitable F*** up. (At least two)
Hmmm??? Nope. $1660 for the sensor and diff rebuild.
My butt still aches.

Oh yeah!! I forgot. Both front brake calipers were nearly locked up from sitting too long. Seems they have plastic pistons that swell from disuse. Swapped out with new calipers.
Had to go to DEQ. PASSED!! YAY!! They said I waited too long and sent me to DMV for the tags. GRR.
Celebrated with a stop at jiffy Lube. Last lube was DUE in 2010!

$2030.00 to get my work van back in the condition it was in when I parked it Five YEARS ago.

$650 LABOR for a wiper arm/blade??????????????????
Was it INSIDE the engine?? :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Ruggie;

The crank position sensor is what tells each of the coils when to fire. The computer asses fuel quality, engine knock counts, throttle position and so forth and varies the timing to be just perfect for every moment along the engine performance map.

A traditional distributor is driven off the engine and can't accommodate such trickery. Power and fuel economy is what drives all of this, including coil-over plugs. Although mileage may not have jumped a lot thru the years, engine horsepower has while the actual btu content of each gallon of gasoline declines due to additives. Ethanol being the biggest hit.

As for those computer driven tractors, I sure hope free market enterprise helps 'yall out. When you're in the middle of work season, taking it to the dealer isn't a reliable solution. I bet the Russian tractors will run without a computer. I get the buy America preference, but if a foreign machine has the reliability, parts procurement may not be as much of an issue. Should the farmers of America ever get organized and suggest that they'd all fallow their fields until such B-S was done away with, things would happen in a hurry to amend.

B-D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
At least for the OP's tractor, and my very similar one, its a diesel with mechanical injector system. You can pull all the electrical off a diesel and it still runs. Got to physically pull the cutoff (often an electric solenoid) to kill it.

Karl

·
Registered
965 Posts
Steamer; any luck? This'll likely be a useless read for you, but I found this thread on a forum:

http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/18-tractors/126209-6420-won-t-travel-forward.html

Left hand reverser on the steering column and swapping the solenoid plugs from forward to reverse under the machine is a listed trouble shooting item, esp if it goes in reverse but not forward.

Bear in mind I can't even spell J-D, but I'm okay searching the 'net.

Not sure if you have diagnostic codes, but here is a thread on what they mean:

http://elvin5.blogspot.com/2008/06/john-deere-transmission-controller.html

Sure hope you get it ironed out. Worst case I bet Ruggie ( Eiggur for you word mix-up folks) can mail you a spare crank position sensor, if that helps. I hear he doesn't need 'em. :rofl:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sent it to Presque Isle by flat bed yesterday. Dealer there has good people on IVT transmissions. Really know the stuff.
The county people are very good, hard working people and they know Deere up there.

Will hear in a day or so what they had to do to fix it. Hopefully not split the tractor.

Thanks for the codes they will come in handy.

Steamer

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You're lucky the Deere hospital around here has a long waiting list. Must be more dead Deere's in MN

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought you guy's that are into Deere might want to know the rest of the story...
Got it to the dealer and they split the tractor and found the IVT transmission in shambles. I have a box in my office of the old parts and they are toast.
Note: the codes given by the tractor pointed to the wiring harness. But It ended up with rebuilding the transmission for around 13000.00.

The software codes were very helpful....NOT

Steamer

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
OUCH!!!

Its that green paint. You gota pay extra for anything painted green.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you got that right.. The buzz here is how JD wants to control the software and retain ownership of the software.

Word on the dirt roads is that that may backfire on them. Forcing farmers to go foreign.

Steamer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts