1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my gun together, and all appears to be excellent. I have some dark mangenese parkerizing on the way, and getting ready to go to the range to test this beast before dipping.

I did not remove the barrel shroud, as the screw holding it was so nicely staked and it was so nice and straight I just didn't have the heart. Now I have a slight dilemma. How do I park the thing?

If I take off the shroud, I have an old cooking pot i can use, but I really want to find something 34 inches long, 6 inches wide and about 8 inches high.

Any ideas for a McGuyver-Like tank that I can use one time?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
I've seen posts of guys using PVC pipe with an end cap. Heat the solution 10 - 15 deg. above normal, pour it in the pipe. It should hold the temp close to the proper range for 10 - 15 minutes. You'd probably need a 6" pipe. Not available at Home Depot, usually available during early subdivision construction.

MSG

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I use a cut off fire extenguisher . Its too short to fully submerse a whole shroud but it works if you stand there and swap ends with it.

You could cut one lengthways and weld it together but I'm too lazy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
use an old hot water heater and cut in half length ways, this way you would have one to park in and the other to nutrilize in. plug the holes with valves and pipe plugs. this will alow you to drain the vats.

note: some of the hot water heaters are galv. on the inside. don't use them..

i had my old natural gas furnace changed out and i saved the gas heater burner part to use as burners for heating the vats.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Find someone in your area, wherever that is, and slip them a few bucks to use the park tank. Gotta blast and park as close together as possible though.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank everyone for their ideas. I was cruising EBAY, and discovered that those stainless steel Steamer pans are fairly cheap and available.

I was able to get two of them, each one 20 inches long, six inches wide, and four inches deep. These babies should be perfect. They will easily do a disassembled 1919. I'm thinkin of welding two of them together so I can do an entire gun without removing the the shroud. Not sure yet.

I paid $30.00 for two pans. That included shipping. I plan to use the gas barbaque as a heat source when the wife is at the hair dresser.

There are more on EBAY. Here is an item number if you want to check it out. 280010615183

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My only concerns with these is that with the site block, the receiver is actually about 6 1/2 inches from the bottom of the holes that mount the T and E to the top of the site block.

I'm thinking I may just do a little adjustment with my ball peen hammer to accomodate the receiver. Or, if the gun is upside down, about half of those detents for the T and E may be out of solution. Could just rotate the gun back and forth to cover it.

I'll send some pics when I get em.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts