1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been over at the M-14 forum site and have the bug for one. I have read up on the Scout and think this is the one I want. The guys over there are great but I would also like some thoughts from another board. Any of you guys own one? If so what do you think?

I am having to sell an RPD kit and an MG42 kit to finance this venture so I hope it is what I expect.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a standard ((loaded) M1A and a Scout. I looked at the SOCOM and decided the Scout would better serve my needs. The Scout shoots as well as the standard for me. It seems to have more blast with the shorter barrel and the brake but seems to handle better for me. Definitely better in and out of a vehicle. You should look them all over carefully and choose which suits your needs best.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My nephew has the standard M1A, I have the scout. I prefer a shorter barrel rifle. It's very accurate for me(iron sites only). I've only shot surplus ammo thru it. Never had jam or ftf. I also like the wood stock, not sinthetic(sp). Overall I think it's a great rifle.

Roy

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys....I like the barrel being a little shorter like you said for the ease of manuevering in confined spaces. The SOCOM is a little too short I think for the .308.

I have seen several posts about changing out the brake from the SCOUT and replacing with a Vortex or other flash hider.

Anyone have one with an Aimpoint??? I am curious how it sights setting forward like that. There are no big gun dealers around here that would carry something like this in stock so it is not available for me to go look at and see what I may like.

Steve

·
Registered
106 Posts
M1A with EOTech

I use an EOTech on my M1A/ No short barrels either. I can use an M1 carbine or a 1911 for confinement problems. Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mrs. Different and I have a number of M1A rifles. We like the M1A Scout Squad but the muzzle brake is loud. So, I installed an Entreprise Arms shorty M14 flash hider (it's not listed on their web site) and replaced the scope mount with a traditional hand guard. It's her favorite rifle now so I don't get to shoot it much anymore. :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know you said Scout, and I normally hate guys who chime in off topic.

Having typed that, I have the SOCOM, and have since sold my M1A standard, Polytech standard, and SA Scout.

Once you've shot what might just be the best M1A platform, it's hard to shoot anything else.

Zero recoil, almost no muzzle rise, and darnned cool looking.

Sorry for the off topic advice.

Darin

·
Registered
106 Posts
Shut up if you don't have a Scout!

I guess Darin doesn't want anybody else to talk on this thread unless they have a Scout. What my hopes were were to try to talk him out of the Scout and into a full length gun before it was too late. Certainly not going to buy a Scout to do that. Sorry Darin, you may have the thread. Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts