1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys .
It's Friday night.
Trying to get a value on a old style Ruger single six convertible revolver with both cylinders .22LR and 22WMR.
It's got a 6 " barrel blued frame walnut grip.
I'm betting you guys are going to send me to the Ruger board or something but heck you never know maybe this will be a good break from the 1919 stuff for you.
GW

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really ?
You guys are speechless?
If I asked about toilets or A/C units I'd get a better chance of at least one response!

OK I guess you guys don't know everything about everything.
GW:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Yeah? Well, I don't know everything about anything, but I do have some Rugers (.22's, 9mm, .357 mag's). They're on the more inexpensive end of the cost spectrum and are better than most else on that end. They usually go "bang" when I pull the trigger and they don't get recalled too often. What are their values? Well, if they're in my pocket when I need them, they're priceless! I recommend them.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yup, a Ruger board would be the place to go for the info. :)

All I know about Rugers is, they aren't real expensive, they fit my hands well, they eat every kind of ammo I feed them and they work flawlessly every time I use them.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I've got one (a 3-clicker, i.e., no safety bar in the hammer) I bought in 1971 with the 2 cylinders. It's a great gun to pop cans with. Unfortunately, these seem to have little collector's value. I've seen them anywhere from $250 to $500 depending on condition. Please tell me I'm wrong and mine is worth much more—but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
pretty much only "rare" Rugers or ones as new complete with all original stuff seem to draw any extra money. Been watching S& W' s on some of the big auction sites ( RIA, Julia etc) and they lump several Rugers together and sell them that way - the seem to sell for about what the going rate on GB is . Maybe a little less for common guns like the 22 single six and other "cowboy" guns. The 22 semi pistols seem to get a little better pricing. does not help you on a dollar amount, but go look at GB and price accordingly. Now, I am sure there are Ruger collectors out there and maybe you have a million dollar gun. Guess you could start there......

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Not so much a "collectors" value as a "market" value. Check the auction sites to see what other comparable ones have sold for. I bought mine for 250.00 a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I already know it's not a super collectible or rare gun.
Just looking for a bench mark to work off of. I've tried GB but after about 2 minutes I realized that prices were all over the place and the older ones were obviously priced higher then the new ones.
Thnaks
GW

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
George W--

There are four different versions of the old model convertible .22 single action revolver. Some of several hundred being made. Others being 100,000 being made. It's tough giving a price without pics. You stated that the revolver is 6 inch barrel. It's probably a 6 1/2 inch barrel. You did not indicate if you had the original box or paperwork. That can add to the price. All of these factors have a direct bearing on price. Any additional info helps.

--fjruple

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
What color is the bird in the grips. If it's a very old pistol and they're red, then you have something.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
What color is the bird in the grips. If it's a very old pistol and they're red, then you have something.
MSG, You're confusing the Single Six with the Ruger Auto Pistol when it comes to the Red/Black Eagle medallion. The first Single Six was made in 1953...and the Ruger Auto was made with the Red Eagle medallion in 1949-1952. The supply of red eagle medallions ran out in about February of 1952 (3 months after Alex Sturm passed away). The first Single-Sixes weren't shipped until December 1953. There were several different variants with differents characteristics that would possibly affect value. Aluminum frame, aluminum cylinder, factory stag grips, barrel lengths...etc. The Ruger Forum would be best but you'd need pics and details. If it was a more common variant, then others here have hit it pretty close at $250-300.
Good luck

Here's the serial number year list for the Old model Single Six.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
I've no Idea of the particulars, I just distinctly remember my father's original Ruger Single six had a red eagle medallion. He had bought it during the 50's, before I was borne. The memory is crisp because he was very upset that he could not find another like it after it was stolen in the mid 70's (along with a Winchester model 71 and an Astra side by side with Damascus barrels), and had to settle for one with a black eagle medallion. The one he managed to find was also sans transfer bar, which I now have. Sometimes strange things happen - maybe someone found one last box of red medallions in the stock room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts