1919 A4 Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
What are the Colt serial number dating criteria? On my notes I had taken a best guess that the gun was built in 1931 for South American export. It would be interesting to see how far off I was.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
The factory Colt gun I’ve handled not a side plate gun. I suppose those could have been amnesty registered and not C&R. But then that brings up another interesting questions and maybe validation, as to where were several of these guns sitting for years unregistered for that long. And the origin was told that this gun I know was sitting in a factory for years, built 7.65 Arg for export and never exported. I doubt I could talk the owner into doing a FOIA request. So that statement did interest me about C&R status.
Any MG registered in the '68 Amnesty is a C&R gun now. Sounds like a buy the gun not the story situation. A FOIA would tell the true story.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
The factory Colt gun I’ve handled not a side plate gun. I suppose those could have been amnesty registered and not C&R. But then that brings up another interesting questions and maybe validation, as to where were several of these guns sitting for years unregistered for that long. And the origin was told that this gun I know was sitting in a factory for years, built 7.65 Arg for export and never exported. I doubt I could talk the owner into doing a FOIA request. So that statement did interest me about C&R status.
This is a perfect example of what I call inconsistent/contradictory/confusing data we have to deal with. Regardless what the FOIA says, your buddy could still have an original MG38B. If a few were "found" which were not registered prior to '68, they "should" have been cut and welded together to make a new MG or rebuilt with registered plates. There are many "found" MGs post '68 that were simply registered by dealers. Just because the FOIA says Billy Joe registered it in 1972, doesnt mean it's not a 100% original gun.

Thanks again Jmann ! I need to find a copy of that printing. Is that the handbook or a sales booklet its in incredible shape for being that old.
The muzzle gland is the same size as a M1928 and so if you wanted to screw the 1928 flash hider on you could. He had a flash hider but it was cross threaded bugggered up so I didn't even try it. I'm pretty sure the M1928 open wrench fits both or its the same muzzle nut wrench as the M1928. I made a fun video on the gun and put it on CD, Its about 20 minutes long. I dont do youtube though and have held back making it public mainly because I'm an enthusiast not a good voice public narrator, and I used some great music in the video which will probably violate music rights and then be stripped of the audio anyway and then the Video is useless. If there is a way to upload it and make it private and not strip the audio let me know I might try it.

Is this an MG38 waterjacket/trunnion?

Lot Detail - (N) OUTSTANDING CONDITION DLO SIDEPLATE BROWNING 1917A1 MACHINE GUN IN WWII CONFIGURATION (FULLY TRANSFERABLE).

Too bad that gun was assembled with an Israeli left side plate. Will be interesting to see what that hodgepodge sells for.
Yes its a 38 jacket. I looked at this gun many years ago when it lived in either nevada or utah. Its been a while now, but we couldn’t get together on price. Sadly its a bit of a mess but still a neat jacket.

Came across this thread and noticed that I had been referenced as stating that there was only one factory MG38B in the NFRTR. As a great fan of the MG38 and MG38B I'll post some of my experience with these MGs.
The gun to which I was referring was owned by Dolf and in the inventory of his MG parts business, ARPAC, Inc which he ran out of both San Antonio, TX and and also I conjunction with a friend in CA in 1970-1990s. I received his periodic mimeographed guns and parts lists, which showed up about once year. In the listing for Jan. 1982, there was the ad for an MG38 in 7.65 Arg. with an array of accessories including a complete spade grip setup to convert to the "B" configuration. I called Dolf and talked with him about the MG38 about which I knew very little and was interested in knowing more, which turned out to be a very unusual model but the price was way beyond my means. Anyway, Dolf said this gun was the only one he had ever come across that was original. No reason to doubt that since no other original, factory MG38s have ever been acknowledged or confirmed. I stilll have the ARPAC list from 1982 with the ad for the MG38.
DLO imported a quantity of Colt MG38s and 38Bs from England but I don't have the number of guns or dates of import in front of me. I visited DLO in Stamford, CT quite a few times from 1971 until the 1980s, having grown up in the next small town over, I did not visit him again after he moved to Torrington in central CT. I don't remember when he started building the 38s. I bought a total of four of the MG38s from him over a period of time in the late eighties and early nineties. I still have three.
Here's the interesting part. He marked the MG38 right sideplates he made and registered with the same format, style and ID info as the original Colt's were marked using Colt's Hartford address, etc. He did not do that with his other sideplate WC MGs, 1917s and 1917a1s but put his Stamford, CT license address on those guns. The markings are engraved and not roll stamped.
I had heard about the MG38 that Stewart handled and have no reason to doubt that it is the one that Dolf had all those years ago. FWIW

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.