1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for used #1.75 or #2 offset or rubber jaw leghold traps they want to part with. I want to rid my property of some coyotes and foxes.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
What you need is a box, a stick and a long cord. You know how it works. Set it up with any old left overs from the fridge as bait.
When the critter starts chowing down, whip out the old AR15 and BLAST it.
Poke it in the face with the stick a few times to make sure it ain't suff'rin then toss it in the box.
Tie up the box real good with the cord.
Toss the whole mess in a dumpster.
:tongue:

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I'm with Ruggie on this one. If the neighbors are too close add a suppressor and use .300 Blackout instead of 5.56.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
I kind of hesitate to mention these methods that are in use by local ranchers , because of the unintended "by-catch" risks and animal cruelty laws and penalties .

1) A dry sponge slathered in bacon grease ,it expands once ingested and is a Slow death :violinist: !!!

2) A knife ,handle embedded in the ground and the blade slathered in bacon grease , they keep licking it ,the blood only excites them more and they bleed to death . A much quicker death !!

But they are effective methods, just not in your case and with extreme legal implications !!!! In ranch country it is an ignored violation of animal cruelty laws !!

So Do Not use either !!!:nono::nono::nono:

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Try a little peanut butter, mice LOVE peanut butter, I guarantee thatll make it work better:rofl:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had a rat in the hen house and tried to trap it with that type if trap. I put peanut butter on the trap but the dang rat ate it without tripping the trap. So... I put peanut butter back on the trap and wrapped it with packing tape loosely. The next morning I had my rat. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Steamer

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw two big grey foxes while deer hunting here last week, but couldn't get a shot off in time. We have had a ton of Coyotes move in. The reason I want traps, is that they hunt when I cant. I want these predators gone. The deer population seems to be less, my chickens keep getting missing, and I have just generally grown to dislike the critters.

I'd really like to see our rabbit, deer, and wild turkey population have a little less pressure. As well as allowing the small livestock and poultry around here to be free range again.

Johnson LMG, your pic is of a double leaf spring #2. I am looking for coil spring traps. It also looks like yours has teeth. They are a no-no in NC. Heck, everywhere as far as I know.

http://www.minntrapprod.com/images/br_2_o.jpg

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
You should have seen the bear trap my cousin inherited out of my great grandparents house. He was trapping so had legitimate claim to it. Like out of a bugs bunny cartoon. Darn evil looking gator toothed bear trap. Great wall hanger, if it was mine might have welded her open for display.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
gulf state gaurd ,
I always wanted one of those (welded of course ) to put out as my UnWelcome mat at the foot of the stairs up to my house :tongue: Muw HA HA HA HA HA hahahahahahahahha

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I thought about blacksmithing one. They are simple design and if you are not making it functional you could use mild steel instead of tool and spring steel. That would make fabricating it so much simpler

·
Registered
283 Posts
I thought only the finest anvils, rockets, and giant sling shots were the way to get rid of coyotes. Acme products of course.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fur prices....yikes... My son just ran a load of fox and coyotes to the fur guy and prices are in the toilet. Guess the Chinese have closed the fur traffic for a year as they finally found out no one was paying any taxes as its a cash business. Prices have dropped 75% for the year. That sucks. He traps and uses the money to get a few new rifles each year...this year I guess nothing.....bummer. Lots of articles on the internet but it looks like they drive the market and the US and Russia are the biggest suppliers. Regards, Bullet

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Year before last we had forty mice in the attached garage and/or house during late fall, and early through late-winter. The next summer a fox set up in the woods fifty yards behind the house and we've had NO mice since then! I haven't seen the neighbor's outdoor cat recently either. :rolleyes: "Ya can't fool Mother Nature."

What I really dislike is the huge possum(s) which go(es) to my neighbor's birdseed-feeder and then try(tries) to come(s) to my suet bird-feeder. We have four species of woodpeckers in our woods out back and have to take the suet in at night. I hope my new lifetime trapping permit and a Havahart trap is gonna work! I'm just not sure what I'm gonna do with them after! :wavey:

Carry On!'m
Gary
><>

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
GWR1,
Possum will go after Anything ! I was grilling for my Lady and felt something at my left big toe ,well i thought it was one of her cats until i felt a bite ! I look down and here is her small yard Possum gnawing on my big toe :eek::eek::eek: fortunately the little sucker never punctured the skin enough to make me bleed !!! Needless to say even then i still went for the Hydrogen Peroxide toot sweet quick !!!

She thinks i had chicken juice on that toe ,i am not so sure :confused: i gave it a foot lift toss away not wanting to hurt it . My Lady would be very :mad: if i did , she does not feed it but it comes up on the deck to clean up any dry or wet cat food left by her cats and she has to keep dumping it out of her garbage can periodically ,it falls in and can`t get back out :rofl: .

Looking back on it ,it is :rofl::rofl::rofl: except for the fact that they carry Rabies but do not get it !!!

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Knew a guy who kept them as pets.

Just be aware when you catch them in the trap they are likely to take a dump that the smell will cause you to gag. Almast as bad as a **** in that respect.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I have one semi feral cat that I keep around (feed) to control mice. That thing took down and ate a full grown rabbit on the front porch. Messy!
Used to have a family of ***** coming around nightly. Between coyotes and the highway, we have one left.
And a BIG opossum. Ballsy little critter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts