1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are others getting them too? Is the problem simply volume or are the Feds having technical "issues". I just reviewed my recent NICS/CJIS/FBI emails and I didn't find anything about delay responses. Oh well...

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Happens all too often...

Been awhile since I was a dealer....but remember several times when the FBI in WV had 'tech-problems' during big gun show week ends. Had 4-'delays' several times at once and often the guy's were previous customers who had sailed through before. It's the way the gov't CAN HOLD UP GUN SALES. Last Friday caught them by surprise...they are getting even this week. Just my take ....

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning towards your opinion. Previous handgun buyers getting delays on long gun transfers!? Something's not right here.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The local black helicopter theory revolves around the computer versus calling in. Call ins take 45 mins whereas the computer, which records more complete info, takes just a few. Maybe they are just busy. We got shoved out on a techinicality, the city lumped us in with a redevelopment zone no one new about and poof! Audit and your out! Now I just buy stuff like everyone else.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Exclusively use the online version and ONLY get delays when no SSN is specified and it is a common name. "John Smith".

I dont charge enough to waste my time with calling them in.

·
12,515 Posts
Got a delay Thursday and follow up denied yesterday.
He Previously had no issues. No idea why he's getting denied.

Atf said to go through the fbi appeal, that normally takes a few days but is now well over a month.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Rory,
Make sure he files in less than 30 days ,as i understand it after that 30 day window he will be Forever Denied ! No appeal ,no recourse at all !

·
Registered
350 Posts
FBI is trying to replace NICS (already delayed from mid-year to Jan) but IIRC they recently punted that out another 6 months or so. Wish I could do that with PITA projects at work, but it probably points to structural problems underneath which added to high volume which is a bad mix. I haven't done enough checks lately to have any useful datapoints though.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I've used NICS quite a few times in the last week with no issues or delays. Same for our Wisconsin Handgun Check system - takes awhile over the phone, but online gets through right away. There are some call backs required on the handguns, but that's normal and so far always within 12 hours for an approval.

Watch - now I've jinxed myself. :(

·
Registered
739 Posts
Got a delay Thursday and follow up denied yesterday.
He Previously had no issues. No idea why he's getting denied.

Atf said to go through the fbi appeal, that normally takes a few days but is now well over a month.
It's probably a mistake of some sort, of course. There are two guys local to me (within five miles) that have the same first and last name as me. One has the same middle initial, and a birthday about 4-5 days different than mine. That always made hospital trips fun. Thank god neither was a felon. My CCDW permit has made all that a lot easier, as I pretty much HAD to use my SSN when buying any gun.

Another thing to look for is a re-classification of a crime. Something that was a minor offense at the time (whenever that was) could have been rewritten by a state government to become a felony. The reverse happens often enough (changing drug laws in Colorado, for example), but this upgrade can occur. Clearing it up isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Man - we have been on hold waiting a "further review" for nearly 45 min so far. What a pain . I am really tired hearing their canned message.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My current "Delay" is now 24 hours old. SSN was supplied and he has an extremely uncommon name. His previous handgun purchase went through like a champ.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I was at a gun show in Portland Saturday, where a number of large dealers are doing a lot of business. I don't know exactly how the system works here, in Oregon, where the State Police are the institution that handles the checks, but I always assumed they are tied in to the NICS system and just get to tax us $10 to do something we could do ourselves. Not a clue as to the mechanics of how the OSP actually does it. But word at the show that afternoon was 6-hour delays on checks, which essentially killed further sales. Now I can't say whether or not there was a system overload. Sales are at or near record levels, no doubt. However, if the Administration wanted to muck up their oft cited, mythical "gun show loophole," then deliberately sabotaging the NICS system so as to hurt the ability of dealers to make sales at the evil gun shows might well be within their illegitimate bag of tricks.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Well - just curious if things have improved for others. I've used NICS 4 times in the last two days and nary a glitch - all approvals and no delays - seems like the questionable ones are delayed and causing issues for folks. maybe not enough staff to dig into those right away?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well - just curious if things have improved for others. I've used NICS 4 times in the last two days and nary a glitch - all approvals and no delays - seems like the questionable ones are delayed and causing issues for folks. maybe not enough staff to dig into those right away?
It looks like last Monday afternoon things returned to normal. Now it's full speed ahead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts