1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting a duce and a half (60's-present) and I would like one that's close to ND and driveable (so I can drive it home to save shipping). There are forms like EUC certificates that I need to obtain along with a title. Also, I would like to know the average going price for one.

There is this one at: http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=896336&convertTo=USD that looks nice and is fairly close but I don't want to overpay (underpay preffered). I notice that this one has a multifuel engine, what are all the fuels that it can use?

So in other words please guide me on how to do this.

TIA, PKw VI Tiger1

·
Registered
146 Posts
GL doesn't provide titles.
Appearently, they can, but refuse to.
Check if your RMV will require one, since some folks end up having a problem.
There was a discussion about GL practices a couple of weeks ago on steel soldiers.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5834&postdays=0&postorder=asc
GL has less than a stellar reputation. And from what I see, it's getting worse.
GL's terms and conditions are all one way. You basically have no rights as a consumer when you agree to them.
The most important thing is that you inspect the item before placing your bid.
Print out a copy of the listing and take it with you.
Bring a camera and take pictures of everything.
Get as much information as possible.
Ask to sign in at the gate.
Bring a friend, preferably someone who knows the m35.
And be prepared for the worse.
If you win and don't remove the item, you forfit the total cost. Including the buyer's premium!
Alot of guys have had good luck with GL. I'm just one of the growing number that hasn't.
If it were me, I'd turn to another source, since M35's are very plentiful. Let someone else jump through thier hoops. You'll at least be able to ask questions and get advise. Something you will not find at GL.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
M35A1/2 multifuel

The multifuel M35 series trucks were produced from the mid-60's up to the present. Many were made here in South Bend,IN by the Crysler(sic) (AM General) and before that the Kaiser Co. There was a refurbishment project from 1997-99 and many of the older trucks were re-built....about four trucks were used to make three rebuilds. Many of the multifuel engines were made by Hercules but some were also made by other mfg's....think Catapillar and some others. I am familiar with the 460 ci Hercules as I have a 1970 Kaiser that has been restored. This is a six-cyl. in-line multifuel engine w/about 300(?) horses. It will burn ANYTHING that can burn...gas,diesel,heating oil,kerocene,Jack Daniels,frying oil,perfume,etc....you get the idea. The only thing the data plate on the dash says about fuel is...."do not burn avation fuel"...too high octane. Could go on and on.....this site is for the 1919,so use an email for further info......Oh....and anywhere around $4,000.00 is about the going rate for an M35 in decent shape w/winch,troop seats and a rag top w/canvas cover and top bows.

·
LEGENDARY BULLY!
6,488 Posts
Check here,, http://web.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=NY2V+NY2&Ntk=P_Warehouse&Ntx=mode+matchany&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=Lot%20Number|0&warehouse_munged=NY2V,NY2&cmd=keyword

There are some trucks at auction or will be coming up shortly,, before the one you are looking at. You can see what they go for and get an idea what you will have to bid. there is a five ton that has 350 miles on it,, tractor. I.m chomping at the bit to bid on one,,, I'm working just a few miles away and have access to transport,,, but no money!!!!!:(

OK,,, the link doesn't work,,, I'll try this,,, http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=874843&convertTo=USD

Its in NY ,, Fort Jefferson , 64 lots. Several trucks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's hard for me to go and see one because of my full time job, I even know of one that's closer but not up for sale. Titling should be no problem since I talked to someone in town here about it today.
Anyway I'd have to live with my family (Housing shortage were I live because of oil boom) and father, even though I would have enough cash to pay upfront, doesn't care for the idea. I even called it an accessory for my 1919A4 (just like the $50,000 T34/85 that was advertised in SGN a while back that he could have used as a farm tractor :rolleyes: ) but he didn't believe me.

Oh well there hopefully will be others.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
....accessories

PKw VI Tiger1 said:
It's hard for me to go and see one because of my full time job, I even know of one that's closer but not up for sale. Titling should be no problem since I talked to someone in town here about it today.
Anyway I'd have to live with my family (Housing shortage were I live because of oil boom) and father, even though I would have enough cash to pay upfront, doesn't care for the idea. I even called it an accessory for my 1919A4 (just like the $50,000 T34/85 that was advertised in SGN a while back that he could have used as a farm tractor :rolleyes: ) but he didn't believe me.

Oh well there hopefully will be others.
Yeah....accessories....thats what I told my wife when I bought my deuce,the Brit Ferret,two (2) M2 .50 BMG's, the Indian,etc.,etc. All to help me at the Gun Shop....advertizing....you know?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Under 20K miles I would bid no more than 2500.oo$US for a minty truck. When you pick it up bring two ( 2) 12 vt. batteries and a short jumper cable. (POS TO NEG) these are 24 volt and require 2 batts in series and almost never have batts or the small cable in them. Be prepared to have it towed home just in case. Multi fuel means they will sort of run on just about any thing but use diesel or #2 heating oil(don't get caught) is what they are tuned (injector timed to).
Any Q's feel free to e-mail me.
Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Title Problems?

You might have title problems. GL used to sell M35s with form 97s and sell vehicles that they didn't want on the roads without form 97s so you couldn't get a title and put them on the road. Now the gov got more PC and don't want m35s on the road so they just stopped giving form 97s with M35s. You will have to check with your DMV to see if you can get a title and licence w/o a form 97. It sounds like these "pig in a poke" vehicles are fetching around $4000. You might do better buying from E-bay or a dealer. Get a copy of MV magazine and look in the classifieds, alot less hoops to jump through. A friend of mine used to buy M35s and parts from the gov before the GL days. Now he just sells parts to the guys who bought a GL vehicle with problems.

Here's mine:

The "Boonie" 70 AMC/Jeep M35 A2

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to ask at the DMV tomorrow. The state american legion convention was in town this weekend, and here's some pics of some equipment a couple of local guys brought with:

155mm Howitzer

37mm AT Gun

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dodgeman1941 said:
You might have title problems. GL used to sell M35s with form 97s and sell vehicles that they didn't want on the roads without form 97s so you couldn't get a title and put them on the road. Now the gov got more PC and don't want m35s on the road so they just stopped giving form 97s with M35s. You will have to check with your DMV to see if you can get a title and licence w/o a form 97.
They won't give Form 97s on 1/4-ton or 3/4-ton trailers either. This has nothing to do specifically with M35s. I just think the Gov. is lazy to find the original paperwork to issue Form 97s and they (and GL) don't think it will have a major effect on the sales prices anyhow. Of course if you don't find that you can't register until later, it won't affect the pricing- you're screwed! GL isn't very consumer friendly- they are all about BIG business. They also want to start to sell bigger lots to move the product. More money from the scrap man on the steel than the hassle is worth for the little guys like us.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd like a M35 as well but the wife still isn't all that happy about the M1010 CUCV ambulance I bought 4 years ago and have to park along the side of the garage so it's "out of sight" from people passing by. Sucks about GL not giving the certificates with the vehicles anymore...many states have special exceptions for vehicles weighing over a certain amount or used for "agricultural purposes" and that may be one way around not having a certificate for the DMV.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also depending on the state, it is possible to obtain a title using the bill of sale, however it may need to be notarized copy. Not sure how GL would be on giving you that.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey,,there is a 2 1/5 here in Outerbanks for sale,,,think it a 67ish date,,rebuilt buy "Gobnovent",,,,canvas cab,,looks good,,if you need info on seller Il get it. Kevin

·
BeltFed GURU
4,328 Posts
i got my M-1038 from a dealer Clark truck out of W VA came with a W VA title so no problem DMV just had to figure out how to get AM/General into the system ended up being AMC as for trailers 2) 1 1/2 ton M105A2 was told to call them home builts so since i already have a home built tag once again no problem ,one tag four trailers :p the M-1038 was export rehabed so better than a pick one and drive it away plus i get support and parts :D :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I talked to the local DMV yesterday, their computer system was down so the lady I spoke with shot me down after I explained the situation and said you can't because "it might be a stolen vehicle" but she told me to check with the head office in Bismarck, ND (in other words she has never been asked the question before and defaulted to someone else).

But, I went looking on ND's .gov web page and found the Century code for titles and this is what I found (pdf reader needed):

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t39c05.pdf

Under 39-05-05 I think it says all you have to do is complete a title request form (most likely with an official present to verify it). The next issue would be to get a temp licence to get it over here.

Oh yea, and I still have to talk everyone else in the family into it (got to find a good reason to get it other than I want it which is proving difficult :( ).
So far it only looks to be a $2.500.00 truck though which is nice (just wish I could have some more days off so I could take a peak).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts