1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a WW2 tanker helmet but the prices on originals has always been too steep for my wallet, plus I'd love to wear it when I'm driving the half-track, I saw IMA selling repro units but so far I've never gotten any repro unit from them that was any good!
Then my wife bought me "Fury" and I decided I would look again to see what was out there,I found this seller on ebay with them, but I'm always leery about buying from other countries online, so I was hoping someone here might have bought one of these and can tell me if they are worth the money, it's a good price but that is usually a warning sign on ebay, so please if you bought one of these please tell me if it's a good reproduction or a piece of crap!
It's coming out of Belgium which is probably a good sign, at least it's not china or india!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322016666068?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I've been looking on & off for a while as well.
I just don't know enough about these yet to make a decision on which one or what I want.

Maybe John will jump in here as that listing is close to His part of the Globe.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've bought a few things from overseas with good luck so far. Last thing I bought was something from Romania and it arrived just fine. It was a reproduction leather WWI aviators wristwatch strap that held your 16 size pocket watch.

That looks like a decent tanker's helmet. Probably not made of the ultra finest of leather but will still work.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
helmets

I've actually bought quite a bit of stuff from overseas and so far have only been burned one time,so I consider myself very fortunate,and like I said this comes from one of the safer looking countries,I just wish I knew more about where they came from and who built them.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Try Jerry Lee at What Price Glory here in the US. Most of the stuff I have gotten from him was excellent. The armor helmet he has is more money but actually looks like a WWII tank helmet. Happy hunting. J Plus you can order a normal person size.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The only repro item I purchased from IMA was a WW1 Gore Blimey hat and it is the nicest repro I've seen available. Some of their repros are based on actual items they own so they are very correct - I can't vouch for all of their repro stuff though - FWIW.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Looks good from the photos and the price is right. I've never had a problem buying from Netherlands or Greece and the seller has an excellent feedback rating . Personally, I doubt it was made in Belgium. There is a lot to making these so I think China.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
He's got great feedback score and a 14 day refund policy, I'd go for it. KevinT

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
helmet

It should be here some time this week,it hit LA sorting center yesterday,I'll be sure to post a fist hand review!

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tanker helmet!

It arrived this afternoon! And it looks really nice,the shell is plastic,which would probably make it more usable, and it actually fits, I've never seen a real one up close so I can't say how accurate it is but from looking at pictures and the ones in movies I'd say it looks pretty good,especially for the price, I'll have to wear it next time I take the half-track out!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would look at your movie Fury

look at the credits to see if any list where their repro uniform stuff was supplied by. Or look online at movie supply warehouses they had to get all those uniform items from someone and the helmets looked excellent

It arrived this afternoon! And it looks really nice,the shell is plastic,which would probably make it more usable, and it actually fits, I've never seen a real one up close so I can't say how accurate it is but from looking at pictures and the ones in movies I'd say it looks pretty good,especially for the price, I'll have to wear it next time I take the half-track out!

·
Registered
885 Posts
You could do through his feedback from people who have bought them and see what they had to say after holding in their hands. It's not much, but it is better information than none at all.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
helmet

There was a tag on this helmet that said it was made in Chicago! Not sure if they copied it from an original or what.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts